Lost power to air con/stereo console then n/s Wiper

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
Hi, new user here. 2000 Cordoba .cool

I know there is a known electrical issue with the radio/aircon console. I used to have it come on by itself and ended up taking out the fuse.

The problem suddenly disppeared when I had a new alternator fitted recently and everything was hunky dory for a while. Until a few days ago when after a cold spell, the stereo console wouldn't switch on then died completely (no display, nothing). Checked/swapped the fuse - no change.

Now the passenger side wiper has stopped working. Driver's side is fine.

From scouring the net I get the feeling this is all to do with loose/damaged electrical connections behind the stereo, and a first step would be to take off that console panel and see if I can spot any loose wiring. Does that seem right or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any advice appreciated.

Should I crosspost this in the Ibiza forum as I gather the equip would be same in both models?

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
I fixed the wiper problem - turns out the linkage to the other wiper was literally separated and I've just reattached it, so it wasn't a related electrical fault.

The stereo/air con seems dead but I've managed to take out the head unit and will have a look to investigate!

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
Well remarkably after some poking around, disconnecting and reconnecting the unit seemed to have brought it back to life. The only problem now is that when I turn the ignition off, the red backlight flashes non-stop every second or so. The unit doesn't switch on it's just the backlight. Will have to go back to removing the fuse but at least te air con and stereo now work.

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
Found a quick fix for the wiper linkage

Search for "Wiper Linkage Repair Clip" on youtube.

Halfords also do a version of the clip. Obviously a common problem.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.