Small scratches

Rubbish Boy

I have been asking around about the method above, getting touch up paint a very fine brush and carefully painting in the scratch, however I have been told on metallic paint such as Black Magic, even after machine polishing it will be noticeable that it's been painted, so generally not a good idea on metallic paint.

Well I'm going to disagree with what you've been told :), and it is a tried and tested method. But I will say that if you aren't confident then you're better off not having a go yourself. It can easily be messed up and does take a bit of patience and time to get it right.

But if you only have a small chip or small scratch where it's hardly worth having a whole panel sprayed, and in most cases they'll want to blend it into other panels too, it gets a bit expensive, so even if you don't do a perfect job it can be better than having the chip or scratch especially if it's deep and starts rusting.

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
oh right, i see, the reason I was given by 2 seperate people that do scratch repair for a living is that because it's metallic the flecs of metallic in the paint will not be in line and thus stand out..or something like that.

I was going to carefully paint the scratch and get a professional to machine polish the car.
I guess I would have to fine sand the area then find an expert to polish it back to near perfection. That or a respray of the panels @ £200, but a respray means part of the car will be a slight different black.

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
nice job on the ibiza, ive got a few light scratches on my bumper, but not light enough to be sorted by t-cut, just wondering if anybody is wiser than me and know if the wet/dry sanding and buffing option works on plastic panels? think im going to go to the local scrappy tomorrow and get a cheap silver panel and have a practice before i let myself loose on mine...
cheers Josh.

Jalopy

Would you recommend a rotary or a DA to start with, from a novice point of view?

bargibin

Get a DA machine and then go to the local scrappy and buy a bonnet. They are a nice flat panel so good to practise on IMO. I did this and put scratches on the bonnet to see what is was possible to 'polish out' and what wouldn't.

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
When i left that post, the day after i went out and bought a door from a scrappy, its blue where my car is silver, but still the results i was getting by hand were amazing! i ordered the polisher but amazon didnt process it :mad: and now im spending the money on other things haha, front bumper respray and wing!

Fingers Freddie

When i left that post, the day after i went out and bought a door from a scrappy, its blue where my car is silver, but still the results i was getting by hand were amazing! i ordered the polisher but amazon didnt process it :mad: and now im spending the money on other things haha, front bumper respray and wing!

The benefit of having a door to practice on is that if it gets hot you can wind the window down :lol:

davepenn

Jun 23, 2011
teesside
ive just ordered some chipex so im gona try it on a few of the scratches ive got, so il let you all know how it goes once ive finished

Cuprakorn

Hmm, my car is black pearl, where one notices everything. Have a few chips that I would need to fix, would this method you mentioned above also work for mine? Anything in particular I would need to watch out for?

Cuprakorn

Many thanks guys for this guide. My better half got this scratch on the car

And its gone using this technique :)

Josephine

Dec 31, 2014
You to take several process like first you have to remove the surface dirt, polish a small area, clean the panel with solvent to remove the oils, you should use the compound to chase the gloss back into the damaged area.

hemsies

Apr 2, 2016
Wow awesome, i'm about to attempt to remove a scratch from my red ibiza, will post some pics when i'm done. Useful guide though!

karrenstanly

Jan 15, 2018
I will definitely give Rubbish Boy's method a try. I have too many of them and wanted to clean them all. Let's hope for the best.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise