Power Steering Problems!!!

SRJ

Sep 22, 2016
Hi I was hoping to get some advice or see if anyone else has suffered the same problems I am currently experiencing with my Ibiza.

I own a Seat Ibiza FR 2013 1.6 TDI with 38k on the clock.

Since Monday morning I have had no power steering and the power steering warning light on my dash has been illuminated.

This has happened once previously around 2 months ago, but only lasted for a couple of hours before returning to normal.

Has this happened to anyone else? or does anyone know how I may be able to fix this or even what may be causing it.

Trying to avoid the expensive garage costs if there is a possible quicker/cheaper fix as warranty expired in June unfortunately :cry:

Any advice is much appreciated.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't think that online guessing is going to work here very well, only easy thing to check is, is the battery still "good" and is that car getting regular longish runs, if the battery is "good" and that car gets used regularly for longish runs, then if it was a power delivery issue, I'd expect, if you switched it off at the end of a journey, then restarted it, the power steering would get enabled again. Maybe check the strip fuses - maybe on the battery area, just to make sure that the power steering one is not cracked or blown.

In reality, the only sensible way to sort this out is to scan the car with a fully VAG compliant scan tool just to see what the fault codes are that have been logged, then take it from there, swopping things blind is a mugs game and will quickly turn expensive.

MFN

Jul 22, 2016
I had the same issue with mine, it sounds like you have to replace the power steering pump, it's quite a common issue with these cars. But you should probably listen to RUM4MO and check the fault codes before you start replacing anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
usually either the battery or the pump, but because it happened once and then only after two months I would bet the pump.

gordonmcmorran

Jun 4, 2016
Sorry to jump in here but newby here.looking for some info here, I have an Ibiza 1.2 fr ( Model 6J , 2012 ) with a power steering fault. the vcds which I have just purchased ( so still learning ). is showing 00816 power steering sensor (g250 )
30-00 open or short to plus.

I have done a bit of research and the funny thing is that the model I have should not have the g250 sensor it should have the g85 sensor, I have checked the pump , it has 3 sockets but only 2 of them in use, I have checked the steering rack there is nowhere for the g250 sensor to fit ( blank casting).

I had a guy come round about a month ago with a snap-on diagnostics but his software only went up to 2011, he tried resetting stuff but no luck.

I think because his software was not for my year he may have set the pump sensor to look for the g250 instead of the signal from the g85.

what I am looking for is assistance switching from the g250 and returning to the g85 sensor using VCDS. and remember I am new at this.

jammymark

Apr 23, 2010
Nottingham
Just done this myself. Exact same code. My pump was knackered. Fitted a new one but needed recoding. Connect VCDS. go into steering (44) then into coding. Change the code from X01XX to X12XX ie whatever the code is just re-input it changing the 01 to 12. You'll find the fault now clears. Someone else also posted different codes for if it's normal, an FR or a Cupra but can't seem to find them now.

Reactions: Izykhann
May 16, 2021
I am having this same problem however mine is a 2.0tdi 2010 seat Ibiza fr, I have replaced the pump however the power steering light is still on and steering slightly heavy, when trying to code/re-code the module I’m not having any luck as I cannot get into the module, any advice would be appreciated.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I am having this same problem however mine is a 2.0tdi 2010 seat Ibiza fr, I have replaced the pump however the power steering light is still on and steering slightly heavy, when trying to code/re-code the module I’m not having any luck as I cannot get into the module, any advice would be appreciated.
You need vcds

Nov 9, 2022

Hi, I'm now having this problem with a 2010 FR 2.0 tdi. Steering near immovable and warning light on. Did you ever find a fix? Thanks

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@To1235, have you checked that the battery charging system is still okay, as if either of the load sensing wires have been cut, then the alternator is probably not keeping the battery charged up and so the power steering pump will be left unpowered.

One first question, does the "charge warning" indicator come on when you turn the key to the first position, and if it does, does it go off as soon as the engine starts?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
if steering is extremly stiff same as when engine is not running then pump its not working at all, could be bad pump or fuse.

if you replaced the pump and steering is ligher than when engine is not running but still harder than normal and light on then could be bad coding usually changing code from x12xx to x01xx or the opposite solves the problem. (usually steering is Module 44 with vcds)

if steering is harder than normal after changing pump and light NOT on then could be the last two numbers of the code, most Ibizas use xxx11 or xxx21 so try it if it is different than that.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022
@dm222 and @RUM4MO Thanks for the replies, it turned out to be the pump itself which has now been replaced. Mechanically it is working fine now but the 'steering light' is still illuminated. I'll drive it about a bit and see if it just needs resetting. I'll try and gauge if it's heavier/lighter and check the codes too.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
@dm222 and @RUM4MO Thanks for the replies, it turned out to be the pump itself which has now been replaced. Mechanically it is working fine now but the 'steering light' is still illuminated. I'll drive it about a bit and see if it just needs resetting. I'll try and gauge if it's heavier/lighter and check the codes too.

if you replaced the pump and steering is ligher than when engine is not running but still harder than normal and light on then could be bad coding usually changing code from x12xx to x01xx or the opposite solves the problem. (usually steering is Module 44 with vcds)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.