Multiple Login's

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
For some reason members on the forum have multiple logins.

The software detects this, and lets us know.

Now.... the only reason I can imagine this would be useful is for malicious purposes.

So.... Do we want malicious users on the forum? I sure don't.

What we'll be doing now, is for both accounts that are flagged as being used by the same computer - they'll be suspended until they convince us of why they 'need' two accounts

We can do it publically, or not - I can't decide yet.

Some people might be concerned if they use the same machine as their other half that also uses the forum - that's fine. we have no problem with that - and will apply a sensible approach to suspending accounts.

Any questions, or anything is welcome.

MArk

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
It's PC specific, and isn't just down to a common shared network I take it ?
(ie. a work address)

Name and shame the suspicious ones

It should be obvious from recent posts or post count which members are genuinely co-habiting and which are just the same person with two (or expired) accounts

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
The one i remember Mork is a guy who came on here and asked techy questions, then logged in as his alias and answered his OWN questions :D :lol: he had about 4 or 5 accounts......... any over 2 you should go public on............... even 2 needs a reason, i know some have HIS N HERS log in's which is fine mate:)

TINCAN

Mar 27, 2006
MK
hi mate.... open question.... i sometime log in to my user name 'tincan' from work as well as home and just recently from hospital.... would this be a issue.... just wanted to make you aware and ask comments

fanjules

Hmmm, I've just got a PM about this from m0rk, but for whatever reason cant respond or write PM's as it looks like I dont have the appropriate permissions. Well done. :p

Anyway, I was a roomie of Georgies not so long back and logged onto her account to get the address/postcode for satnav for a meet at Hunters Lodge or some such back in September I do believe, so I guess the cookies were still on my PC.

Of course - I now have my own account these days even though everybody thought I was Harv.

Maximum irony throughout I feel!!!

AS YOU WERE

fanjules

meh, only just found out you need 10 new posts or something before PM is activated... bad forum design i feel, not that i would know anything about such things, vadgemates!!!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
see how the multple login detector locates trolls.

bad forum design, no you're right - you wouldn't know squat about it.

TINCAN

Mar 27, 2006
MK
lol.... i'm not a forum troll..... ;) would my different locations cause issue... if so ill stop logging in else where.... not that i'm planning to be in hospital again lol

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
From my understanding, it looks like multiple login accounts from the same IP address rather than logons from different places, but then again I've been known to be wrong. ;)

fanjules

Hmmm, I've used the same system on a website of my own to ban about 300 individuals for using multiple accounts.

As for being a troll, well my personality is my personality, take it or leave it. But I wanted to do Snetterton again, and when Georgie said they needed another person as part of the SEAT group on the 9th, so the participants could get free instruction, I thought I would pay the £99 to make up the numbers.

Which is about £99 more than what I normally pay for a trackday, but made the appropriate phone call to go out of my way to go under the SEAT name, even though I dont have a SEAT, have only met a couple of you, and it's a 9hr round trip from where I live at the moment.

Turns out its fully booked up, but popped my name on the reserve list anyway. I do wonder if I should have bothered though, if generally the group is as friendly as you m0rk!

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
well that went well!

jules is indeed a seperate entity to me and lives back in wales now, he was once my house mate.

i have no need for a seperate account, if i have issues with someone i want them to know its me who has issues.. no one else. even i'm not that petty.

-doffs cap-