MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

RacerBice

Nov 25, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
So you don't think anyone buys an M3 because it's a status symbol, or because they want 0-60 bragging rights? As for old, I've never known anyone below the age of about 45 to own one, at least in this country. Same goes for 911s. So many of them tootle around Kensington and Chelsea, barely getting past third gear. Not that the owner would know as it will inevitably be in "drive".

Hmmm, I don't think I said anything at all about the M3 as a status symbol or bragging rights. I only referred to what I reckon is and is not the average buyer. Also, I personally don't know ANYONE owning an M3 who is above 45. Maybe I too don't know that many people (well said, JonJay, that and everything else), or maybe Swedes are different from you Brits. But still....

If you don't like DSG's, double-clutches, semi-automatics, and what have you, then say so. But those strange references to other people's preferences, who they are, and what's wrong with them (in your not so humble opinion), those are just.....well, strange.

:blink:

phil_____

(Sigh). So the DSG thing was tongue in cheek. I even said so. Don't get so defensive. I am very aware that a lot of people buy them and enjoy them. I might myself if they were more driver focused as I have said. You're right that many people who are older still enjoy driving. I hope to myself.
It is true that in London most of the fancy cars, including supercars, never get driven properly. And there are a lot of them. Ever been to the Middle East? It's even more the case there. This absolutely does skew the figures. No, not everyone who enjoys driving gets a manual, but I'd say that the vast majority of those who do buy a car purely for status will get an auto. And, like it or not, most M3s and 911s don't get bought by car nuts, at least not new ones.
The US is another place where autos are the norm and have been for many years, although enthusiasts tend to go for manuals.
By the way, I know you didn't say anything about the M3 being a status symbol. I did, which is why I directed it as a question. I don't expect you to have answered my question before I asked it. I guess you just took it the wrong way. I'm sorry that you did. But if you think M3s are all bought by young car nuts then you must live somewhere where starting salaries are very high. (I should spell out, I'm not accusing you of thinking all M3s are bought by car nuts. I'm being facetious.)
To everyone else: sorry about bringing this up. Some people are very thin-skinned.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Im not a DSG expert but in "manual mode" i thought it was impossible to stop it changing gear automatically if it thinks it needs to hence why tuners cant get them to stay in gear on the RR.

So what caused that

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Maybe in manual it hit the limiter / wheelspun or a combination and froze - don't understand the speedo not moving though.

Need him to tell us what happened. Presumably in auto it would have kept going as it would have been in full control.

Scott

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Speedo goes from 0 -60 in a second which I would assume makes it either a fake, or the ground was wet or icy, the wheels were doing 60 and hitting the limeter, then it changes gear once the car gets some traction and speed to what the speedo is actually showing :)

gamer555

Dec 6, 2008
Brussels
full power launch on a slippery surface ! the speedo goes to 60 fast because the front wheels are spinning, even though the car is just moving. when it starts to get traction, the dsg changes to 2nd gear.

in my opinion, the driver should not have launched the car so heavily in improper conditions, or forced gear up using the paddles as soon as the rev hit 6500. it would have resulted in a shorter wheel spin 2nd gear but better time 0-100 :)

bottom line, any car launches like s*** on slippery/wet/icy tarmac.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
It would be pointless changing up if the car was hardly moving though. He should ease the throttle in better instead of having a lead right foot.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members