New MK3 Leon CUPRA R Confirmed

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Why would I want it, claimed 0-60 time of 5.8 (my 280 is 5.7 and A/express tested the 280 SC DSG twice and got 5.5 both times.) Also as the R comes only with heavier 5 door body and no DSG the small increase in BHP does nothing, and that's not to mention the crap loud orange bits that make it look so boy racer, but with less real poke than the 280/290/300 that all have 300+ standard when stuck on a rolling road.

vicalva

Cup Racing R - Legend
Aug 13, 2003
Madrid
Visit site
£36k and all gone???

Paid £17k for y LCR mk1...,.ok it was 15 years ago ROFL.

Clearly they knew what they were doing with the pricing.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
£36k and all gone???

Paid £17k for y LCR mk1...,.ok it was 15 years ago ROFL.

Clearly they knew what they were doing with the pricing.
I think they could have got away with a fair bit more. A fully specced 300 can cost the same as that.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

shaun_ccxr

Mar 27, 2016
Gutted, I placed 3 orders on the Cupra R once it was launched after Geneva last year and deposit down already. Until last month they all get rejected as all cars won't be qualified for VAT Q

Still thinking is it a go or not, would be nice to have the Cupra R pairing with the Clubsport S and a few of the Focus RSs

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Apparently customers were vetted to make sure they weren't been stock piled to be sold on at a premium.

Your down fall might of been trying to order more than one.

shaun_ccxr

Mar 27, 2016
It was confirmed that because it was through a company, theycknot sell to privates. But there are few quota now on the market with premium already

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Why would I want it, claimed 0-60 time of 5.8 (my 280 is 5.7 and A/express tested the 280 SC DSG twice and got 5.5 both times.) Also as the R comes only with heavier 5 door body and no DSG the small increase in BHP does nothing, and that's not to mention the crap loud orange bits that make it look so boy racer, but with less real poke than the 280/290/300 that all have 300+ standard when stuck on a rolling road.

After watching reviews this cars actually grown on me. Not too fussed about the 0-60 numbers, I don't think you can be in the FWD game. As for the power increase like you say there isn't much in it as the 280-300s were understated.
Seems like marketing.

I like the design just not sold on the copper colouring.

The upgrades seem to be aimed at better handling in the corners. If you consider that the Type-R is the benchmark for FWD, the only place it beats the CUPRA 300 is the corners. It supposibly has a better diff (may be fully mechanical)

They type r has more power and isn't any faster of the mark in a straight line. Limitation of FWD.

With the new CUPRA brand on the horizon, the next gen CUPRA maybe much more exciting.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Very tidy and not too shouty! Carbon fibre diffuser and spoiler are absolutely spot on. Suiting the St more I feel.
Looks purposeful, I especially like the rear and quad exhaust setup. Took me a while to appreciate the 5 door R but instantly took a liking to this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Looks good but I'd prefer two large oval tailpipes than 4 small ones. If only the Cupra rebrand had kept the S logo and just done the bronze colour like this, I quite like that.

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
Looks purposeful, I especially like the rear and quad exhaust setup. Took me a while to appreciate the 5 door R but instantly took a liking to this.

It's after ticking all the boxes for me, always had a soft spot for a quick estate..... this is an absolute gem , scared of the price though !

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
It's after ticking all the boxes for me, always had a soft spot for a quick estate..... this is an absolute gem , scared of the price though !
Will prices increase compared with Seat Cupra models?

“We will do everything we can to keep the competitive position. The new brand gives us more freedom to make special versions or to offer equipment we can charge more for, but it would be wrong to make the Cupra Leon or Cupra Ateca €1000 more expensive just because of the brand. That would not work.”

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/cupr*******-according-rd-boss-matthias-rabe

Apart from the recent price drop the price of the CUPRA isn't as obvious a bargain as it was.

The ST with 4 drive seemed quite close in price to R estate when I originally looked.

Bit as long as the PCH deals are similar I'll always be interested.

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
Will prices increase compared with Seat Cupra models?

“We will do everything we can to keep the competitive position. The new brand gives us more freedom to make special versions or to offer equipment we can charge more for, but it would be wrong to make the Cupra Leon or Cupra Ateca €1000 more expensive just because of the brand. That would not work.”

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/cupr*******-according-rd-boss-matthias-rabe

Apart from the recent price drop the price of the CUPRA isn't as obvious a bargain as it was.

The ST with 4 drive seemed quite close in price to R estate when I originally looked.

Bit as long as the PCH deals are similar I'll always be interested.

The R estate a limited run ? DSG and 4 Drive, so yes I would be thinking more expensive, if not a lot more!