Wiring loom spec for towbar fitting

McSparkie

Oct 27, 2015
I've just fitted a towbar from (Towbars Direct), and included a bypass relay.

The fitting was fun, but not as bad as I expected.
My issue is the wiring.
I have the 7 pin version.
I'm looking to connect to the wiring loom on the inside of the near-side boot space.
Can anyone help with the colouring of the existing cables, please?
Can someone tell me what the thick yellow cable is (radio ariel?)

And the real bane of my life right now: how do I run a power line back there so I don't get bulb failure warnings? (some specifics of this would be greatly received).

I did tow a small trailer with it and was advised that because it didn't obscure the view of my car lights and is plastered in high vis reflective stickers and I have a numberplate on the trailer - I wouldn't need a light-board.
This was not from Plod, so I'm a tad wary of this info, but needed to shift some stuff very urgently.

I have a 2006 1.6 Altea (not XL).

choo98

Aug 29, 2016
from memory the wiring is as follows

Left Indicator Black/White
Right Indicator Black/Green
Fog Light Grey/White or Blue/black
Side light & Brake Share the Red/Black (only connect the brake input of the relay it should work out the signals)

Power feed can either be taken from the back of the fuse box (under the steering wheel) or there is a large cable entry to the engine bay under the heater in the foot well (not very easy to get through) which you will need a stiff rod i have used a metal coat hanger straightened out which will then come out just to the right of the battery,

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members