Ibiza model help reqd please

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Looking at a car for my son and there are 3 Ibizas on the radar

2012 1.4 SE Copa 3 door
2011 1.4 SE Chilli 3 door
or a Sportrider 1.2 turbo version

Does anyone know what the different specs are between the first two - I can't see any reference online to the Chill version but dealer claims it has bluetooth whereas the Copa doesnt ?

Any help or links would be appreciated - he likes the sportrider version but they are very rare in the c£5k bracket

Many thanks for any info you can give me!

yozza1987

Leon Mk3 Fr
Sep 3, 2013
Worcester
I only ever had a copa out of those 3. It had auto lights, auto wipers, climate control. Standard suspension and 16" alloys. Electric folding mirrors and cruise controlStereo was just an fm/ MP3 stereo. No Bluetooth

Chilli I believe had a blue tooth stereo and pre installation for tomtom. Not sure about climate control etc

and sport rider I am unsure of any specs except the sport rider had "sports springs" possibly climate control, cruise control and Bluetooth if memory serves me right ( did look at one when I brought the copa)

Difference between engines is the 1.4 is a 1.4 16v delivering 85ps the 1.2 is a 1.2 8v turbo charged 105ps but some of them used to have issues (was mainly hit and miss to be honest) engine has been revised since

Hope this helps

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015
Newtownards, Northern Ireland
The Chill IIRC was a limited edition model and I believe what yozza1987 said is correct, one thing is that the Chill doesn't come with a leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob which the other 2 have, so I guess it's between having the extra equipment or having nicer feelings parts which you'll touch everytime you drive.

As mentioned by yozza1987 and by others on this forum it seems that early 1.2TSI engines had problems regarding their timing chains, I think these affected 2010 and 2011 models but someone better briefed on this could correct me, but the Sportrider trim has reversing sensors in them, it and the SE Copa have a USB socket in them, I'm not sure if the Chill does or not but they all have an AUX socket.

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Cheers for the input guys - son , for some reason is preferring a 2009 Fiesta Zetec S to a 2012 Ibiza for the same money! I just can't get my head round why but I guess I am not 18 either!

yozza1987

Leon Mk3 Fr
Sep 3, 2013
Worcester
I believe that it may be because a lot of the younger lads want focus & fiesta zetec s / st / rs And seeing many young lads driving them about. Also fast car has one on the front every other month & ken block's earlier gym kanas in the fiesta etc. I can't really say much as I was looking at one a few years back. What put me off was my mates focus st kept on breaking down every other week and I had enough of looking at the engine bay helping him fix it. Put me off ford for life lol

Last edited:

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
I must admit for the same money, he can get a 2 years younger car, less mileage and much better looked after Ibiza than he can the Fiesta. If only my son could see sense!

yozza1987

Leon Mk3 Fr
Sep 3, 2013
Worcester
Maybe ask him why he wants a fiesta (maybe its image is persuading him towards it)? Get him to test drive one then the Ibiza 1.4 16v or 1.2 tsi afterwards. Show him the insurance costs (fiesta and sport rider group 12 /copa and chill group 8) ? Running costs or tax ( I'm guessing the fiesta is the 1.6 variant so fuel & tax maybe higher) so him the performance specs maybe(1.2 tsi is better mpg and 0-60 than fiesta) he may think about it then and change his mind you never know.

Just had to go through all this kind of stuff with my dad who's 65 and he ended up buying a 1.2 tsi Ibiza fr
it was like hitting my head against a brick wall but he is really happy with it now

Last edited:

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Ironically the insurance isnt that much different. The cheapest insurance he can get is around the £700 for a Daewoo Matiz type car but can get the Ibiza and the Fiesta for between 800-1000.

I am not sure if his decision would be made by the driving experience on a test drive - more likely it is down to appearance and the Fiesta has a rear spoiler and skirts.....

yozza1987

Leon Mk3 Fr
Sep 3, 2013
Worcester
That has surprised me with the insurance

Hopefully a test drive does change his mind, keep us updated how you get on

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
My last hope in getting him an Ibiza will be the fact that he currently can't find a suitable Fiesta in his price bracket which is 5k.
So he can hold off indefinitely or get an Ibiza now!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That car seems okay, it will have well shaped seats, especially the seat backs and probably better seat base bolsters than it looks like in that picture. Looks like it has 17" wheels as well, judging by the style of wheels. These cars are quite light so move well enough with that engine in them, and that engine will be reliable but has no tuning potential - if that causes a problem. Probably a good car for not getting into trouble with and so should help bring the insurance down year by year!

There is another SEAT dealer in Edinburgh, Western SEAT, they are a smaller SEAT dealer run by a big local chain, you can check their stock on line usually and as they don't make most of their money from huge long term loans, might be cheaper to deal with - Uncle Arnie has a proper SEAT dealership in Edinburgh, probably along the road from where that car is being sold. Uncle Arnie places can be strange places to deal with, but no doubt you know that and seems to be the biggest SEAT dealer in central Scotland.

Edit:- there used to be an Irish sales guy there, it was good fun winding him up when we went looking for a car for my older daughter back in 2004, he just would not discuss anything seriously as long as her mum and dad were with her, does not give you a very good feeling?

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.