Engine light on - Vagcom suggests temperature sensor?

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Hey guys,

I have done a search but I cant find a definitive answer....

The engine light came on in my car tonight on the way home from work but I didnt notice any performance drop or other odd issues like fluctuating temperature sensor.

Ran vagcom and got the following fault code:

17704 - Error in Mapped Cooling System (usually temp Sensor or Thermostat)

It seems pretty self explanatory but a quick search revealed a few sensors and Im not sure what is the best one to go for. Is this referring to the sensor on top of the coolant bottle or another one (I believe the stock black sensor here should be replaced with a green one?).

I assume the temperature sensor is the quicker, easier and cheaper of the two (sensor vs. thermostat) to replace?

Any advice please chaps?

Many thanks in advance!

jhono

old boy racer
Jul 15, 2007
i had same problem two weeks ago .changed black sensor for green one ,had no problems since.it does help when your son works for seat certainly cheaper.

flares

Feb 11, 2007
newport,south wales
I had a new temp control sensor fitted about 1 year ago . In dec/jan the red light on my temp gauge would flash & alarm when I left work early in the morning when it was really cold . The sensor in the coolant bottle was dodgy , new bottle , coolant and fitted £32 . Got mine done through wales vw in sully

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
gsf do them, its a golf part, you need to give them the part no.

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
cheers guys, I am going to order the G62 sensor (the green one) from Ted Johnson and see if it helps. Incidentally, I am told this is NOT the one on top of the coolant bottle.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
correct, it sits in the pipe on the airbox side of the engine

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Did you get a new O ring and clip at the same time? If not, you can change it without, but the clip is easy and easy to break and only a few pence extra...

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
I changed my G62 sensor a few weeks ago and it seems to have fixed the issue since the fault code hasnt come back (though yesterday I got the classic 3 beeps issue - I know this is unrelated).

I did manage to drop the clip that holds the sensor in place and had to phone my dad to take me down to VW to get a new one :) the chap didnt charge me for it though so all was good.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise