SportShifters

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » General Topics » General Off Topic Chat

General Off Topic Chat To be used for subjects of a general nature. NOTE - PERSONAL ABUSE, ABUSE OF THE SITE, ABUSE AGAINST THIS OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE OR ANY COMPANY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Old 19-03-2017, 21:49   #1
diddles

diddles has 10 points
Buying car worries

Hey guys, I brought a car yesterday from a little back street dealer. I paid in full with cash and have a proof of purchase receipt. I didn't get the new keepers slip being stupid I completely forgot about it! He taxed the car apparently using the new keepers slip and he showed me the receipt for it being taxed.
Now he is saying I short changed him, which I didn't, he is saying he didn't count the money.
I'm worried now that he won't send off the log book!
Please guys need some advice. Is it just a case of waiting a month to see if the log book turns up or just fill out a v62 and apply for a log book?
The car is hpi clear as I did check it before I brought it.
Thanks guys!
Old 28-03-2017, 14:18   #2
Husbandofstinky
Out from the Wilderness

Husbandofstinky has 10 points
Golden rule with cash, always count it out with the other party in front of them best mates or not. Heard that old chestnut several times and has caused problems between long term friends.

Check with the DVLA re the road tax

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Then worry about log book chasing.
Old 28-03-2017, 17:14   #3
DrewCole
Spannering the Cupra

DrewCole has 10 points
Well if you handed over the cash and he gave you a receipt for it, then that is entirely his own fault.

If he with holds the logbook then just send him a letter advising you'll be taking legal action as you have proof of purchase.
DrewCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 14:50   #4
aaronb84

aaronb84 has 10 points
If he has given you proof of purchase for the value then whether you have given him the full amount or not then that is his fault. I don't see what comeback he has on you.

Think the other advice above is sound about checking with DVLA on the tax and then follow up soon with the log book.
aaronb84 is offline   Reply With Quote