Listers - Parts

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » Diagnostics, Tuning and Modification » Engine Discussion » TDi - SEAT Diesel specific topics

TDi - SEAT Diesel specific topics exclusively for SEAT diesel specific topics only.

Old 29-06-2017, 18:45   #1
clag

clag has 10 points
Another boost leak

Hi all.

Im pretty sure my fr 150 has a boost leak. It hisses when accelerating up to around 2k, stops then the hissing comes back at around 3.5k rpm when using high throttle. Im confident it isnt just normal turbo whistle, it sounds like air escaping.

Ive replaced the egr to intercooler hose with an sfs hose kit, ive checked that and there doesnt appear to be any leaks.

The hiss seems to be coming from near to the turbo so im suspecting its the red pipe. Are there any common places here for leaks?

Thanks.
clag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 18:28   #2
verbal_kint

verbal_kint has 10 points
As a very simple test fill a squirt bottle with soapy water and spray that around all the connections. You may be lucky and see bubbles forming where a leak is on a running engine but the pressure may be too low and/or liquid burns off too soon.

I've just made the boost leak tester and so far today found a leak on my egr to intake manifold connection.

Can't blooming do any more as had to drill out a broken bolt as I tried to see if tightening it a tad more might work.

I can't recall but did you need to use the old seal on the SFS turbo to pancake pipe? and it that seal was not good...
verbal_kint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:29   #3
clag

clag has 10 points
Ive got to the bottom of it i think. I have 2 hoses with oil gank around the outside, one on the intercooler joint for the pipe going to the pancake pipe and the other is on the red pipe at the joint on the turbo.

Whole section needs replacing really so ive ordered a new silicone pipe to replace the red one and screwed the pipe to the intercooler for now.

The sfs kit i have waw just from the intercooler to the egr because every joint on my standard one was leaking but now it looks like i need to replace the rest
Old 02-07-2017, 19:50   #4
verbal_kint

verbal_kint has 10 points
I've just replaced all my pipework and upgraded SMIC.

Having lots of fun with finding leaks, fixed all at low psi then more as the pressure upped.
verbal_kint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 17:23   #5
clag

clag has 10 points
Sorted. It was where the red pipe connects to the turbo. Replaced it with an ebay silicone one. First time i hit full boost it nearly ripped one of the lugs off my pancake pipe so thats now been screwed together o_O Doesnt seem to be any more leaks on the boost side bit i think my egr cooler has a split somewhere so thats coming off.