GUIDE: Mk2 Leon Brakes - Info, Upgrades, and Maintanance.

F3ADM

Nov 25, 2013
North west
Anyone tried rs3 brakes? Found some cheap enough to warrant experimenting!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I've read through this thread and some others and there seems to be some debate over whether the Pre-FL PD FR TDI 170 has 286mm or 255mm rear discs... is there an definitive way of telling by MY or visually by caliper type? I was going to order a disc/pad set (front and back) but uinsure now what to buy!?

I don't really trust ECP / GSF - By registration they list every disc from 255mm >> 286mm with some in between as well.

I read a thread where Dave at SERE needed the VIN to tell for definite, but I'm not buying from Dave as I want machined dimples/grooves, so don't want to waste his time.

I might have to pop into SEAT and enquire...

[edit]
My FR is 2008 Pre-FL
[/edit]

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire
But if you ring them, they can check on their system exactly what size you have. I did this for mine as i was confused over which size to get. They confirmed that i did in fact need the 255mm discs. I think their websites list anything that can actually fit on the Leon in general.

If you can wait until later, i can get a picture of my rears with the wheels on so you can compare the distance between the disc and alloy.

Thafussa

Jul 7, 2013
Willemstad, Curacao
Ive been looking at some these eBay item number:261060530797
They seem to be great rotors.
The company also seems to get great feed back, their called "Brakelabs"

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Hi, After cleaning up sticky rear pads I'm going to fit new pads (due to wear and overheating damaging the material) to the rear of my FR Tdi, I noticed that the replacement pads come with a fitting kit? that are a couple of stainless steel plates that fit between the pads and the carriers, none fitted at the moment, should they be there as standard? Cheers.

Hi, After cleaning up sticky rear pads I'm going to fit new pads (due to wear and overheating damaging the material) to the rear of my FR Tdi, I noticed that the replacement pads come with a fitting kit? that are a couple of stainless steel plates that fit between the pads and the carriers, none fitted at the moment, should they be there as standard? Cheers.

Do you mean anti-squeal shims? Not all brake pad kits come with them anymore - opting in most cases for a built in anti sqeaul "pad" that's like an adhesive/rubbery type pad that contacts the piston instead. I personally prefer the shims

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Do you mean anti-squeal shims? Not all brake pad kits come with them anymore - opting in most cases for a built in anti sqeal "pad" that's like an adhesive/rubbery type pad that contacts the piston instead. I personally prefer the shims

Hi, no not the anti squeal material on the pads, what I meant were stainless steel plates that clip over the carriers where the edges of the pads fit, maybe to prevent the pads jamming?, anyway changed the pads tonight, the supplied shims when fitted would not let me fit these and the pads too so it was pads only and the shims will be returned for a refund.
I hate some these catalogues, too many options that don't fit.

Apr 5, 2011
Somerset
Need help! Just ordered ebc rear discs r32 for my tfsi leon but the pads look the same as the original 282mm discs is this correct?
I also have the back plates carriers and calipers