Dents Common?

pedy

Mar 29, 2007
denny - stirlingshire
my god, im so glad im not alone, the mrs is always sayin i need to get a life for parking in the furthest space in tesco or finding a space in a multi storey with a pillar at each side.... showed her all the posts and she just laughed ( her car looks like a washboard!!!)

I love taking my mum shopping as she has a disabled badge and i get to park in the spaces with the mega gaps between them!!!

can i just add that i also avoid any car with a baby/booster seat in as if the driver is puting a baby in the seat they aint exactly watching what the door is doing.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I've often wondered if it's possible to park inside the shopping trolley 'garages' to avoid people opening their doors into it.
Although you would probably get people ramming their trolleys into your car if they have no-where to put them!

coxxic

Sep 29, 2006
CZ
www.absolutsystem.com
what about this :

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGXbIfeuRY

file.php

Last edited:

Greerso

Nov 14, 2008
Belfast
I tend to park away from everyone else and even though I used to dislike the practise but I also park over two spaces (again another reason for parking miles away from everyone else) or try to park in an end space.
I tend to avoid parking next to the following too as well:

1) People Carriers (e.g. Zafira)
2) 4x4 (e.g. Q7, Toureg, X5)
3) Old bangers

Not fussy at all really :D
Alex

Good advice I feel - I also look out for the cars with baby/kids seats in them as the doors are usually swung open wider for better access.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
been sat in my mates car yapping while the women were shopping and had a zafira owner smack into his drivers door while he was sat there with radio on and window open

after a small exchange she turned her nose up and carried on with the usual 'so what' attitude, soon changed face when my mate booted his door open and crushed her whole front door skin in though

bizzaboy

after a small exchange she turned her nose up and carried on with the usual 'so what' attitude, soon changed face when my mate booted his door open and crushed her whole front door skin in though

Good response, see how she likes it when someone opens their door up against her car! ;)
I take it he then suffered further damage to the edge of his door in doing this - can never win (but at least he got his own back)!

I had a similar situation with my previous Ibiza, when a family parked up next to me in an MPV. The mother gets all the chit out when the buggy rolls against the back of my car. Instead of moving it away, she then puts the child in the buggy, almost using the rear of my car to hold the buggy still !!? WT !!

I then got out to see what was going on, and she just said sorry and smiled as if it was no big deal - while I was left looking at the digs and scrapes on my rear bumper!

They proceeded to walk off down the park, while I stood there by my car (AND THEIRS) thinking what to do next.....

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Could have written this myself, although parking over two spaces in (council run) car parks can result in a £60 "misdemeanour" ticket near where I live

I once told a parking guy that the £60 was cheaper than having my door fixed. Wasn't even busy.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Good advice I feel - I also look out for the cars with baby/kids seats in them as the doors are usually swung open wider for better access.

I have a booster seat in mine but also the child locks on.

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
I drive my wife nuts constantly looking for an end space in car parks and parking so close to walls etc. she has to jump over the driver seat to get out of the car.... I still have one rear quarter dent from some t****r...

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
another thing never drive into a space front first then reverse out , i did this by mistake the other day , reversed out carefully nothing around me , i was looking in my rear view mirror braking to stop , then thinking **** im not stopping (but i had stopped) im going to hit a car then bang , a woman in an octavia reversed out straight into the side of my back bumper [:@] ,
she said sorry she was looking out of the side window , checked my car and had black paint transfer from her bumper and a little dent ,
so pulled forward again , got out to get her details and get her to write on a piece of paper it was her fault , then the water works started then she said when it was not her fault cause it was clear when she started reversing , i said what colour is my car how the F**K can you not see it? then started on about the economy and she cant afford anything having 2 jobs just to get bye , grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :censored:

luckily the paint was easily wiped off (helps if you wax the car a lot) but i have a dent , insurance would have been a 50 / 50 so i now have a dent :cry:.

Last edited:

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
best/worst I saw was a ford probe pull up in b and q. Rather nice porsche one side and a decent motor the other. Both probe doors flung wide open, each hitting the car at the side of it then 2 fat gits got out...........felt like chucking something at them but knowing my luck it would of rebounded and hit me...;)

Poverty

2 spaces at the supermarket everytime, don't give a f if its busy or not or whether I am near the door or near the far end. I have only ever had 1 comment and that was "Don't blame you mate"

this is what I do. My parents dont and their doors are absolutely foofed.

downrodeo

Apr 12, 2009
West London
Just caught two little gits kicking a football into neighbour's car in private car park. I only became aware because they also smacked it off my window - two floors up. When confronted the response was 'oh I didn't realise, didn't mean to'. People just don't give a damn about anyone else's property these days.

laffalot

Had one to my drivers door within a week of getting my leon, thankfully it came out thanks to the local PDR guy. Ever since then I park miles away from anyone at every opportunity.

For info the general recommended guidelines for parking bays (involved in refurbing a car park at the moment so had to find out) are:-

2300mm - car park used by office users i.e. 9-5 crowd
2400mm - shopping centres
2500mm - supermarkets

From what I've read the recommended guidelines are based on a standard vehicle being 1900mm wide.

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
After bad experiences in the past I park away from other cars, easier to get in-out too.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.