New door speakers - Choice of Vibe

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Hi all,

Looking at buying some new door speakers, going for some vibe's as had them before and was pleased with the sound.

Got a budget of about £100 for the speakers, have narrowed it down to these two choices. Has anyone used either of these before?

Also will the slick comp's sound ok if I don't use the tweeters?

Vibe slick 6 coax

dda522940ffdbec7de64b7f8c724e861.jpg

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/sound-systems/vibe-slick-6-component-speakers

Vibe slick 6 comp

c7ea88bf4f42b894e94ea91b483776c1.jpg

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/sound-systems/vibe-slick-6-component-speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
I've upgraded my fronts (only fronts because its my music and I only ever sit in the front haha) to Hertz 6" components (£150). I put my tweeters in the headrest hole which give an awesome and unique surround sound effect. But if I were you I'd get the tweeters too, just add to the diversity of the audio. Or buy mid-range speakers with the tweeters built in, but you can't place your tweeters where you want them.. depends how fussy you are.

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
That's not a bad idea just doing the fronts I guess. Have you got pictures of the tweeters in the headrest would be pretty cool to see!

The vibe comps come with tweeters separate to the speaker so was going to leave them out or try and swap with the standard ones in the door card. Don't know if it's possible or not.

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
Have had a few comments from passengers. "Have you got speakers in your seats?!"
Good to know all the hard work paid off!

It kinda sucks you can't completely hide the wires, but got black ones so least they don't stick out.

20141210_173955_zps1408fb93.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stuffed the wiring in the gap all the way to the bottom of the seat between the rear plastic and the lip where the fabric is wrapped round and ran it under the plastic centre cup holder housing through to the front and under the passenger mat where the Crossovers are. It was a lot of time and effort but well worth it in my eyes. Also got custom Tweeter mounts made by a friend which stuff under the plastic in the hole and help stabilise the tweeters as they were too small for the hole to just sit there.

20141210_173714_zps0031d1ff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
Also as for the speakers in the doors you'll probably need to buy some speaker adaptors to mount the speakers closer the surface other wise they'll sit too deep and may hit something behind.. but the adaptors aren't always the bes,t had to trim mine quite a lot. Hope that helps.

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
That looks pretty awesome that! May have to have a go myself and see what it sounds like.

Yeah I know about the adapters cheers got it all priced up just deciding on the speakers to go for. Think I'll do the comps and see what I can do with the tweeters.

Cheers for the advice!

Penguin

Jan 15, 2014
Can't imagine firing sound directly at the back of your head sounding very good to be honest. Especially if your wearing a hoodie or coat with a hood for example. It would muffle the sound coming from speakers quite a lot I'd of thought. It may be a quirky place to put them but not very beneficial from an audio point of view.
Just my opinion of course;)

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
It would seem it but I find it quite effective, but down to preference I guess. 1 speaker in each door and the vocals coming from behind it all blends into one. Kinda like the headrest speakers you'd fine in the seat at the arcades. Yeah wearing a hoodie up or a winter hat does muffle it, but anything covering your ears would muffle the audio to a certain extent?

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Would be similar effect to 6x9's on the parcel shelf in a way, but the sound is going to the back of you instead of above you?

I'm still going to have a trial and see what it sounds like as I'm curious haha.

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
I've had the parcel shelf speakers and now got this set up. 6x9's have a different purpose to tweeters. Didn't want the parcel shelf speakers in the Leon as it seemed more something an 18 year old would do in their Corsa haha. Both would give the same effect but the tweeters are more of a personal area rather than parcel shelf 6x9's which would fill rear of the car up. When I thought about doing rear's in the Leon I was going to put the tweeters up the top by the seat belt feeders. There's loads of set ups you could do :D

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I have vibe slick 6 coaxials and they sound so much better than standard. I too disable the factory tweeters to do this and it works fine. I find there's way too much treble with the factory tweeters.

Feb 16, 2013
North Wales
I have vibe slick 6 coaxials and they sound so much better than standard. I too disable the factory tweeters to do this and it works fine. I find there's way too much treble with the factory tweeters.

so jarre are these speakers just undo olds and put in new with adapters?
you dont have to put any other little speakers anywhere just the 2 big 1's
cheers

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
so jarre are these speakers just undo olds and put in new with adapters?

you dont have to put any other little speakers anywhere just the 2 big 1's

cheers

Basically yeah. Then pull out connector 2 on the Sak-3103 wiring adapters, that will disable the factory tweeters.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.