Miscellaneous Electrical Woes (and other bits)

cooperdj

Oct 11, 2012
Leicester
Hi... have a few bits and bobs going wrong on the Leon right now and wondering if any of them can be easily fixed before I give up and take them to a garage and let them help themselves to the contents of my wallet. I'll list in order of annoyance:

Central Locking

Long term temperamental but now it only unlocks the back doors and boot, maybe once in 50 it unlocks the drivers door but never the passenger. This is annoying. Remote battery is fine though.

P2100/P2102

Check engine light is perma-on with these faults. I understand these are to do with the throttle actuator but upon googling a myriad of causes seem to crop up. Just wondering what I should check myself before giving up. EGR valve is c.12 months old.

3x warning lights on dash

Very occasionally when the car feels like it wants to give me a treat it'll light up the ABS, Tyre pressure and traction control lights. This only ever happens on the M1 when going at a decent speed and appears to have no detrimental affect to the drive. Next time you start the engine only the ABS light remains for about 10 secs then it's gone, not to re-appear for a few months.

Oh and water usage:

It's drinking water, very slightly. I have to top up the main water tank every 6-8 weeks (just a bit as the line between max and min is not massive). I've had the system pressure tested and all the pipes looked at but there's no noticeable leaks

Last edited:

Mackers

Part Man, Part Metal
May 17, 2007
Bangor. N.Wales
The rear doors is a known and common door lock solanoid fault, new solanoid not a recall issue though.
The 3lights are normally an absolute sensor fault, use a vagcom and it'll tell you which one.
As for water, check the water pipes for leaks and the front foot Wells.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
The 3 lights is a G44 or G46 fault. Wheel speed ABS sensor needs replacing, often because the wheel hub has corrodes and therefore damaged the sensor. The hub will need replacing. Very common on the PQ35 platform it seems. Needs to be fixed as mot fail and the abs is deactivated if the lights are on. It will get worse until they are permanently on.

I had the same issue with the door lock and just had the unit replaced in the end. Don't leave it too long or the unit might fail completely and the door will need to be cut upon to fix. Very expensive if it comes to that.

Not sure about the other 2 though I'm afraid. Hope you get them sorted.

cooperdj

Oct 11, 2012
Leicester
Cheers for the replies... The back doors are fine (they're the only ones that are!) it's just the front two. The 3 lights thing only happens every few months, is it expensive to sort?

My Mechanic didn't seem overly concerned about the water as it was not going into the oil or on the ground, possibly have a slightly poor seal around the water tank lid as sometimes seems a bit loose.

Likewise the solenoid - any ball park ££ figures?

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
The abs sensor requires a new wheel hub, I have had both done about a year apart and I think it was 150ish all in each side. Not a huge amount, that is from memory so might be a little off.

It will get worse though, mine was very infrequent and then happened more and more, until they would not go out even when I cleared the codes. The abs and Esp systems are disabled when the lights are on, I locked up under heavy braking which shocked me into action.

Door lock was more money, about 250 all in each side but again this is from memory. Might have been more.

Last edited:

cooperdj

Oct 11, 2012
Leicester
Ok i'll definitely get it checked out then. The thought of spending £500 to get my passenger door to open from the outside is not pleasing though...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.