2.0 tfsi fr turbo howling

Darbo

May 24, 2015
I've got a 57 plate leon fr tfsi and suddenly the turbo has started howling like a police car at low revs, annoyed because it's happened overnight, anyone had any experience with this? Some people have said possible dv diaphragm has split but I'm not sure.

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
Sounds like the turbo bearings have gone. Needs replacing before it lets go and fires bits of turbo into the intercooler system. My friend had one proper go after it became noisy on a Fabia vrs and it made a right mess.

I think DV or PCV issues would be more of a hiss than a whine.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Darbo

May 24, 2015
Cheers, I was hoping this isn't the case as it came on overnight instead of gradually, 45 quid is a lot better than 800!

Darbo

May 24, 2015
That's what I'm hoping for but as it's whistling on startup I'm not sure.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Unlikely in that case, you did say low revs which is when engine noise is quiet enough to really notice things like this... Whip the downpipe off and have a wiggle of the turbine, check for play (all directions) and smoothness when rotating

Try and get a video up of the noise

Darbo

May 24, 2015
Will do mate, gonna try to get it in my mates garage after work, every time I step out the house to have a look the fecking heavens open.

Darbo

May 24, 2015
Looks like it's not the turbo! Managed to get my head under it properly and with the sound following the engine it's looking like a dry pulley/ alternator bearing, whatever it is it isn't 800 quid just for the part.
Thanks for the input chaps, it's appreciated.

Darbo

May 24, 2015
Little update, it was the turbo after all, currently getting fitted now.
My wallet hurts...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.