steering Noise Advice

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
Hi guys I have a problem with my 1.9TDI mk1 2004 6 speed.

over the years my steering has got louder and louder it only happens on a full lock really and if I rev it up it stops,

I wanted to check the pump fluid level but as I have never done it I'm not sure where the tank for it is, I know where the brake fluid tank is as got a leak in that which is being sorted.

I'm hoping it may be just low on fluid

can you give any advice please?

Thanks

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The fluid reservoir is just behind the washer fluid bottle.
It's black with a green cap, you'll need a coin or something similar to unscrew the cap.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Circled here
01592cd7a9ef41fade4fc18d5182e18e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
well I got some fluid and it was quite low so have filled it up though the noise still seems to be there, not driven it yet just revved it up and turned the steering on full lock both ways a few times.

does it need bleeding or anything? or maybe some time for it to get through?

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
any chance or some advice on this please guys??

well I got some fluid and it was quite low so have filled it up though the noise still seems to be there, not driven it yet just revved it up and turned the steering on full lock both ways a few times.

does it need bleeding or anything? or maybe some time for it to get through?

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
If it's been running with the fluid low for an extended period of time I wouldn't be surprised if the pump or rack were now worn due to insufficient lubrication.

Personally I'd start by changing the pump.

I have spare pumps and racks if you need anything as well.

Last edited:

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
If it's been running with the fluid low for an extended period of time I wouldn't be surprised if the pump or rack were now worn due to insufficient lubrication.

Personally I'd start by changing the pump.

I have spare pumps and racks if you need anything as well.

which is it that would be making the noise? the rack or the pump?

and how much are your parts?

cheers

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
yea did reply... I need to find out where the noise is coming from before as cant afford to replace them both if it does not need it, never fitted these before so will also have to see how they are fitted

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
For anyone who reads this thread and has the same sort of problem, it was not the pump or the steering rack if was the tensioner pulley and pulley belt changed that and sorted,

seems a guy that does a lot or work on mk1 leons says this happens a lot on them

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.