How to change your headlamps to xenon

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
this is tryout to see if you guys can understand my explanation after the writing part is done i will upload all the pictures.

I have to thanks the guys at www.seatleon2.es to make this guide in the first place, as it was their guide i used to put mines, and also they had the kindness to let me use a couple of pics i didnt have in hand to make this guide more comprehensively

First let me say to you guys this is very easy, you just need some time like 1 or 2 hours to complete this task and vag com.

First you need a set of torx if you don’t have them go and buy them lol, also you will need a set of flat screwdrivers the really small ones ( they are used to remove the pins from the connector to the headlamp ) you will need the 2 new headlamps (this part number is for LHD 1P1 941 039 and 1P1 941 040 this one isn’t the AFS is the one I have ) and also you will need the new connector ( part number 1J0973737 x2 ) you will need a cable that has the same pin layout to connect the headlamp to the electrical control unit so you have bixenon function when you use the high beam (part number 000 979 131).

14qy8.jpg

By leviathan18 at 2008-02-14
here you have the old connector 10 pins and the new one 14 pins

Ok now you have all the parts you will need for this nice project remember to ask when you buy the headlamps if it comes with the buld D1S and the ballast, ok first you need jack up the car and remove both front wheels, if you can’t do this remove first one wheel then the other, in the wheel well there is 3 torx screws holding the front bumper to in the low part and one in the upper part remove them in both sides, after you are done with that open the hood and you will see 6 torx screws holding the bumper remove them 2 of those hold the headlamp also, under the car are also some torx screws holding the bumper don’t remember how many there are but you will see them pretty easy, in the leon FR I don’t know if this is the same for other leon there are 2 screws if the front of the car near the license plate remove them, after you are done with this part you just have to pull the bumper out of place start in each side with little force you will remove it and the work from the middle.

Ok you are done with the bumper, remove the connectors from the fog lamps after this you can put away the bumper and center on the headlamps under the headlamps you will see 2 torx screws you have to remove to pull out the headlamp after you did this, grab 2 small flat screwdrivers to remove the connector (have in mind is a pain in the ass to do this without the screwdrivers).
Ok no it comes to fun part removing the cables from the connector if you have the screwdriver I have in the picture you won’t have much issue this is the diagram where you have to put the cables in the new connector (the new connector has 14 pins the old only 10 pins)

By leviathan18

10fo2.jpg

By leviathan18, shot with Canon PowerShot A520 at 2008-02-14

this is a pic with all the cables out i didnt do it like this, when i removed the 5 i putted in the new connector in the 5 and so on

Ok from 5 to 10 are the ones you will use and they go to the same number in the new connector you will see 3 cables you will have left from the old connector you won’t use them use heat shrink to protect them the 11 cable in the new connector is for the electrical unit to control the bixenon function and this one goes from 1 headlamp to the D6 and from the other to the A5.

I made the reprogramming of the ecu at the dealer with the car computer they have was very easy and they didn’t charge me but if you have the vag com here you have where you have to change it

codificacionbixenonleonbk4.jpg

By leviathan18 at 2008-02-14

And well that’s all pretty easy after you are done with this just put back together the cars and remember to use all the screws lol.

if you guys think i need to explain a little bit better something please let me know or if you find better way to say some part of the explanation also is welcomed as i dont speak english as my first language.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishboxmeal

FUEGO

Very good guide indeed:clap:. Just want to ask how much will it cost? I mean the headlamps the connectors and the cable? Also the part numbers for the headlamps are for right hand drive?

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
nop part numbers are for europe mainland so i guess you have to look for the right ones for you, the cost well i found a guy that sells them pretty cheap 300 euros both headlamps d1s bulbs and both ballast and give you for free a pair of ballast or bulbs whatever your choice is.

the connectors and cables costs 20 euros top for the pair, so isnt very expensive to do it and is very easy and looks hot :funk:

FUEGO

Do they move around corners too? or i should fit a kind of sensor?

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
the ones i fitted are not AFS i dont like the way they look, but you can fit afs for the same price and you will need a afs computer to make them turn and some more cables and i think its like 100 euros more

Ema-Lou

Jul 23, 2008
This all sounds very well & good, but i think you will find there is some legality in having to have headlamp washers with bi-xenon headlights.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
This all sounds very well & good, but i think you will find there is some legality in having to have headlamp washers with bi-xenon headlights.

In the UK yes....

As a side note, it pretty easy to install the headlight wahers as well. plus you can install the self levelling but its a harder job.

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
In the UK yes....

As a side note, it pretty easy to install the headlight wahers as well. plus you can install the self levelling but its a harder job.

not harder than the mdf to be honest dan its more a money issue.

you can get away with the washer only and forget the leveling besides as they are original probably you wont have any issues.

as a matter of fact every bumper has the support for the washer so its pretty easy to do it

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
ok easy you got the new connector right?

well 1 2 3 4 holes wont be used as they dont have cables

5 6 7 8 9 and 10 will be use you remove from the stock halogen head lamp cable number 5 (the connector has the number) and put it in the new connector in hole number 5 same with 6 7 8 9 and 10 do it one by one so you dont screw the installation

you will see 3 cables that i dont remember the numbers right now in the original halogen connector and you wont use them protect them and leave them un connected as they are not needed

cable number 11 you wont have it in the halogen connector but you will need it in the new xenon connector to make it "bixenon" the cable you need to do this is (part number 000 979 131) you will insert this cable in each new xenon connector in hole 11 and under the steering wheel above the clutch you will see the electrical connectors of the hole car you will need to get the cable from the engine bay to the inside of the car and connect it in the electrical control unit, the unit has 8 connectors lettered you will need to find connector A and D when you get them connect one of the cables to A5 and the other to D6.

if you need further assistance please let me know

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
Thanks for that, that is just what i needed

no problem mate.

to get inside the 11 cable you will need to remove battery and battery tray behind the battery you will see a rubber thing that protects lots of cables the rubber thing has some nipples remove one and insert both cables with some grease o it is easy and the cable will appear in above the clutch inside.

for the electrical control unit there is a red plastic switch you need to move to one side to remove the cable connectors

then find the A and D which for me was the hardest part lol as i was a little scared to mess in that part of the car but it was fine...

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
mine will be different as mine is RHD, so im guessing that ill have to bring 11 in on my passenger side and behind the dash?

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
mine will be different as mine is RHD, so im guessing that ill have to bring 11 in on my passenger side and behind the dash?

oh snap i didnt think about that little detail :whistle:

you guys have the battery in the left side right ? so i guess the point of entrance is the same and probably the connectors too but this is new waters for me maybe DanGB knows as he removed the MDF and messed around it

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Right, the battery is still on the left and im guessing the grommet is too. As for finding the ECU im not sure which side that is located on. I will have a look tomorrow and find out.

This will be a future/ongoing project for me anyway, due to the cost and work involved. I was just trying to work out how i go about doing it first.

So how long is the high beam cable that you bought? also is there one for each light unit?

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
long well not long enough to be honest but you cut it in half and attach a longer cable the important part is the pin it has in each end, is not the ecu is the electrical control unit totally different part in my car is right below the fuse box so i guess it should be the same in yours, in my car that is where the door closes with the dash