My K1 FOR SALE in Autotrader - SCAM WARNING!!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
there was a scam lik this on ebay a while back , cant remember the exact details but someone spotted their car for sale and people were bidding on it.

when i sold my car through exchange and mart and autotrader i was contacted by lots of foreign mails to say they would pay me £2k over the top if i would drive the car to a dock , container and give them back £1k cash.

Neel-Cupra

MK2 Leon Cupra 2.0T FSI
Jul 28, 2005
This car was on ebay last week, with a buy it now price for 16,250 which sounds about right, the biding went to 13,100 so didn't sell and now the seller is willing to take 11,250 ono on it :clap: sounds like a proper scam!

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
the cheek that some of these scammers have is sometimes quite unbelievable. But there must be some people stupid enough to fall for these scams. It is a shame those people lose money from it, but for heavens sake, they have had ample warning in newspapers and car magazines about how to protect yourself when buying a car privately.

I can only think that the scammer has said the car is in madrid because he can wrangle out of giving a test drive.

To Phanates,
Try to say that you are willing to fly to madrid to test drive the car. See what the guys says. Would be interesting to find out.

I have a friend who purchases cars abroad for his holiday homes and he flies over to test drive them first.

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
I had the police round last week. Someone in Scotland actually paid for it!!!! Obviously my reg plate attracted them to me.. My private plate is now on the car..

You gotta bear in mind that £10K in Scotland feels like £20K!!

Last edited:

nathan1997

I had the police round last week. Someone in Scotland actually paid for it!!!! Obviously my reg plate attracted them to me.. My private plate is now on the car..

You gotta bear in mind that £10K in Scotland feels like £20K!!

wish it was mate :p I know a young lady that has fell for the same scam for a m3 and has lost all here money too on the type r forum :cry: but really come on all the signs are there and in my opinion, if your willing to pay in full for a car you havent seen and not even driven then you deserve everything coming too you :rolleyes:

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
It's depressing to see all this going on, - this should be outlawed and with a bit of international co-operation, the scammers arrested. [:@]

Mind you, anyone who parts with that sort of money without seeing the vehicle needs the help of a shrink...

Deleted member 35811

AMAZING STORY - Though I'm surprised that people are happy to part with that sort of cash, only on the strength of a guys word in Spain !! Without at least doing some further checks here in the u.k :confused:

jedge66

This dodgey K1 for sale, what is the number plate detail ..... even part of it!

jedge66

Sigh, I was only asking cos we had been looking at one which seemed to fit the bill being described however, this guy gave me the following website who he said had the vehicle an all!!!!

This is what he sent to me,,,,,,,trying to work out if it was legit.

Hello again,

Please check with the shipping company even now on .iberiaexpeditions.com at the 'ONLINE' section of their web-site.They do have a live help operator there, just click on the button called 'Live Support' on the top of the page and he will help you with the info you need. Just ask about my car which is there, in their warehouse,already inspected,with all its papers and ready to be shipped.They will give you all the info you need regarding delivery and payment details because I have already signed a contract with them and they will act as a third party between us.

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
Sigh, I was only asking cos we had been looking at one which seemed to fit the bill being described however, this guy gave me the following website who he said had the vehicle an all!!!!

Hello again,

Please check with the shipping company even now on .iberiaexpeditions.com at the 'ONLINE' section of their web-site.They do have a live help operator there, just click on the button called 'Live Support' on the top of the page and he will help you with the info you need. Just ask about my car which is there, in their warehouse,already inspected,with all its papers and ready to be shipped.They will give you all the info you need regarding delivery and payment details because I have already signed a contract with them and they will act as a third party between us.

Give it a very wide birth.................:runaway:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)

Hello again,

Code:
(Asked whois.melbourneit.com:43 about iberiaexpeditions.com)

Domain Name.......... iberiaexpeditions.com 
   Creation Date........ 2009-02-11 
   Registration Date.... 2009-02-11 
   Expiry Date.......... 2010-02-11 
   Organisation Name.... Betty Hargrett 
   Organisation Address. P O Box 99800 
   Organisation Address. 
   Organisation Address. EmeryVille 
   Organisation Address. 94662 
   Organisation Address. CA 
   Organisation Address. US 
 Admin Name........... PrivateRegContact Admin 
   Admin Address........ P O Box 99800 
   Admin Address........ 
   Admin Address........ EmeryVille 
   Admin Address........ 94662 
   Admin Address........ CA 
   Admin Address........ US 
   Admin Email.......... [email protected]

Admin Phone.......... 1.5105952002 
   Admin Fax............ 
 Tech Name............ PrivateRegContact TECH 
   Tech Address......... P O Box 99800 
   Tech Address......... 
   Tech Address......... EmeryVille 
   Tech Address......... 94662 
   Tech Address......... CA 
   Tech Address......... US 
   Tech Email........... [email protected]

Tech Phone........... 1.5105952002 
   Tech Fax............. 
   Name Server.......... yns1.yahoo.com 
   Name Server.......... yns2.yahoo.com

That shows the web-site was registered on the 11/02/09 - and is being hosted via yahoo ..

If that is not a subtle enough hint for you then .......

RUN THE **** AWAY QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
should be a better hint

Of course, you could have some fun and games with them ..... if your bored and want to waste their time ... :whistle:

jedge66

:)

Thx for that, it doesn't suprise me....however it has also dashed my dreams of ever owning a K1 :cry:

Well, off I go for a normal Cupra then ;), shame the body kit on the K1 is soooooo nice.

I need to find a couple of broken ones and piece the bits together :happy:

MarkyBhoy

That Happened To My Dad's SUV. I Was 16 And About to Turn 17 Next Day. So I Was Looking At Cars.

I Came Across This Exact Same Car. It Was a Black BMW X5 . I Had A Better Look At it And Said That Looks Like My Dads. But Of course I Thought It Wasnt, it then Dawned On Me that it Had the Same Patternd Driveway and Same Alloys.

I then Investigated further into it And Asked For More Pictures Becasue I was Interested, He Said These Exact Words " Sure thing. I will Receive More pictures After Work Tommorow."

Later The Next Day, I was Aware Of a Man Sitting in a Purple Nissan Micra at a Bend At the Bottom of My Road. He was there For Hours. My Mum And Dad Went to Asda at about 3pm For the Weekly Shopping in My Mums Car. I Was Then Aware of the Dog Barking Mad! I Looked Out My Room And the Odd Guy from the Car Was Out At My Dads SUV Taking Pictures.

I Phoned 999 And Explained the Situation to them, in Under 5 Mins a Unit Arrived ( The Police Station Is Near By ) And Quicky Arrested This Man. I Phoned My Father Aswell, Later My Dad Driving My Mums Car Came Squeeling Around the Corner, Much To My Joy my Father Went up to Him, and Said " Come Near this House and My Family Again and I Will Stick a Knife in your F****** Throat. He Was Also Warned By the Police.

They Later Phoned and Explained He Has Done this To Several Cars Including a Rolls Royce!!!!

Maybe It was the Same Guy, So a Bit of Advice. Check Auto Trader Now and then!!!!

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
That was a very silly thing for your dad to say. You can end up with a criminal record for saying things like that. But nice detective skills ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members