Dents Common?

K362

Has anyone else had any dents in their cars? I have had my Leon FR since Jan this year and have already had 3 dents in my rear passenger side door and I have to keep calling out dent man!! its very annoying, it appears that when people open their doors onto mine it almost always causes a dent, I think that the modern cars dent too easily! its a pain! i have not had any scratches yet thank god but why do these doors dent so easily? :censored:

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Because other drivers and their passengers are careless and dont give a damn.Park more carefully in car parks.I park next to good cars if I can or off them a little bit or if I can away from other cars altogether.Got a couple of tiny dents all the same.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
I tend to park away from everyone else and even though I used to dislike the practise but I also park over two spaces (again another reason for parking miles away from everyone else) or try to park in an end space.
I tend to avoid parking next to the following too as well:

1) People Carriers (e.g. Zafira)
2) 4x4 (e.g. Q7, Toureg, X5)
3) Old bangers

Not fussy at all really :D
Alex

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
I tend to park away from everyone else and even though I used to dislike the practise but I also park over two spaces (again another reason for parking miles away from everyone else) or try to park in an end space.

3) Old bangers

Alex

Could have written this myself, although parking over two spaces in (council run) car parks can result in a £60 "misdemeanour" ticket near where I live

EoinM

Think the problem is the part that sticks out the most is the line along the door so it's guaranteed to get a prang!

Just had about 4 done on mine. 3 of them done by my housemate[:@]

I just park taking up 2 spaces in the drive now so she has to park on the road:p

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Im in the same boat, I've got one wee dent in my rear passenger wheelarch, right in the middle on the swage line [:@]

Really annoys me and the Dent removal men say that it can't be fixed as the wheelarch is double skinned thus no access from behind to pop it out :cry:

Can anyone confirm this or are they talking crap lol?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Could have written this myself, although parking over two spaces in (council run) car parks can result in a £60 "misdemeanour" ticket near where I live

I think, if you buy 2 tickets they can't touch you. It costs an extra pound but you can do it 60 times for the price of 1 fine or god knows how many times for the price of the dent man.

I always park in 2 bays over in the corner, I get no dents (touch wood) and I get some exercise by walking 200 yards across the car park at Tesco.

I find it funny how people will queue up for a dent and a bay close to the supermarket entrance when the far corner of the car park is empty.

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Some drivers really p*ss you off dont they especially them with kids that get out the car themselves.They tend to just swing their door out without a care.Oh and old biddy's in the passenger sides too.I also park over 2 spaces in supermarket car parks.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Im in the same boat, I've got one wee dent in my rear passenger wheelarch, right in the middle on the swage line [:@]

Really annoys me and the Dent removal men say that it can't be fixed as the wheelarch is double skinned thus no access from behind to pop it out :cry:

Can anyone confirm this or are they talking crap lol?

Try that trick where you warm the area up with a hair dryer then use a can of compressed air upside down so that is sprays co2. the heat followed by the ice can relax the metal and pop the dent out. Have a look on youtube, some people find it works and some don't.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Only problem I seem to have is that no matter where I park (legitimately in a single space), whenever I return to the car at least one car has parked next to me even if the rest of the car park is relatively empty. There must be some weird $h1t that goes on in the average persons head when they park forcing them to 'cluster park'.

One day I parked in Reading Oracle centre and I cam back to find I was between a Range Rover and a Freelander. I couldn't physically get into the car as there wasn't enough space to open the doors (the S3's doors are very long being a 2 door). I had to walk round the other aisle, get in the boot and drive out for the Mrs to get in. Spaces are just too small for todays super-sized vehicles.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
My Cupra had a couple of minor dents in it when I got rid of it, you could only see them if you knew they were there though.

The Leon is actually quite a wide car. Best to make sure you park it sensibily and not too close to the white line on either side.

alx_chung's advise is spot on apart from the park over 2 spaces.

You can maybe get away with it in a quiet car park out of the way, but in a busy car park it does cheese people off.

Round here all the car parks say parking in marked bays only as parking space is very limited.

I know a couple of guys who did that where I used to work. Trouble was the car park sometimes filled up during the day and at one point someone parked a Fiat Sciento in the space in-between trashing the side of their car.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
It costs an extra pound

Agreed, but that gets me an hour for both!

"Thought" I wonder if the local council would pay for a dent for supplying a space of insufficient width - I think I already know the answer to that one!!!!

As we all know local council parking fees (and fines) are a "cash cow", the more "spaces" they can cram in the higher the revenue, just another "stealth" tax

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Agreed, but that gets me an hour for both!

"Thought" I wonder if the local council would pay for a dent for supplying a space of insufficient width - I think I already know the answer to that one!!!!

As we all know local council parking fees (and fines) are a "cash cow", the more "spaces" they can cram in the higher the revenue, just another "stealth" tax

Not sure about car parks but the legal minimum width for a space at the side of the road is 180cm, many cars are now actually wider than this as is the Leon if you include wing mirrors.

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
Runcorn//Barnsley//Newcastle

3) Old bangers

Alex

this is the same logic i follow on a daily basis..

however i just have only the 1 dent which is when my mate decided to get out from the back and not realising that he left the metal part of the seat belt dangling in the door arch.

then slam....... i wasnt too impressed...

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
I should have added that I only double park if the car park is quiet. I don't do it when the car park is busy (just park even further away) as it cheese me off when I see it as well.
Like a previous post has mentioned car parking spaces are actually smaller than the cars themselves nowadays which just adds to the problems.
Also I don't understand how you could park miles away from everyone else only to return to find a car next to yours and you can't get in due to how close its parked next to you :censored:
Alex

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
Dents and dings are a nightmare...I had a dent size of a tennis ball on my bonnet and it costed me 200quid to fix and thats by respray! and yes before anyone ask I did try dentmaster but the metal was just too flexible to work with. (and how did it happen?) I drove to a modified car show ...and 2 models sat on top of my bonnet and where they place their palm the force must of pushed the metal down but it didn't come back up causing the dent, the thing that cheesed me off that day was most of the ppl who I went with said it was there before I got there!? or a stone landed on it....but yea this is awhile ago but as we'r talking about dents I thought it be instrested to share my experience. I detail my car alot so I tend to get really paranoid where I park especially supermarkets where you see trolleys everywhere!

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
2 spaces at the supermarket everytime, don't give a f if its busy or not or whether I am near the door or near the far end. I have only ever had 1 comment and that was "Don't blame you mate"

leon_lib

seat leon FTW
Dec 22, 2008
burnley
2 spaces at the supermarket everytime, don't give a f if its busy or not or whether I am near the door or near the far end. I have only ever had 1 comment and that was "Don't blame you mate"

i might take this attitude in my first week of owning the car deep scratch to boot lid and a deep scratch to passenger door.

im sure the paint on my car is crap i get stone chips so easily its untrue,
rant over