Front Right Knocking

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Right Guys my front right has been knocking for ages but its getting annoying now, if i go over speedbumps or cat's eyes it knocks

Had a quick look at the Droplinks, Pulled them etc they feel ok so i thought top mounts but might aswell replace drop links aswell

So what aftermarket options is there out there for Droplinks? Im also under then impression that theres a new set of Audi TT top mounts that can be fitted to the MK5 Chassis (tfsi_mike sent me a link ages ago)

allias

Nov 17, 2011
Somewhere in a middle
Check ARB as well. They are over looked many times and they tend to knock over bumps. As far replacment - OEM are my recommendations. They dont cost much more and those are the once that come with vehicle.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I had a look at ARB, i looked for any kind of damage to the paint on it where it had been banging but nothing

paulfs

Nov 10, 2009
New Forest, HANTS
Ditto re the knocking...
Raised it on my recent 100k service, fault was found (the knocking noise was noted I should say) by the mechanic (fitter), but no resolution yet, they want to have another look next Tuesday as its's in for replacement disc & pads, shall report on any findings.

I did find this last week & I've sent them a copy to pass onto the mechanic for information, worth checking...

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=315436

Nov 28, 2006
I've not had this on my Mk2 but did on my Mk1 LCR. I had a look at the drop links (which looked fine) and they were as tight as I could get them. No improvement. In the end a mate swapped the drop links for me cos it was the cheapest thing to try and it cured the problem.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
my car is stalking to creak, not neccessarily knock, from the rear. When I go down bumps more than up bumps it sounds horrible and like its coming from my boot (but it isnt) I am assuming its my upper shock mounts, can anyone confirm?

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
they're easy enough to check, you can tighten them without even taking the wheel off. Knocking usually is caused by loose shocks, so it more than likely. But as is the way with working on cars, nothing is ever straightforward

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
well my next service, be at 5hark or awesome, i will get them to check, i thought it would be my ARB but its too high and loud a noise to be that low down tbh

st@rgixxer

GSXR Junkie!!!
Mar 27, 2010
Edinburgh
I had a loud knocking from front end, turned out to be the arms from the steering rack to the wheel, both were well worn. Front wheel had a sh!t load of play in it.

Cost £120 in VAT to get fixed, parts labour & tracking.

Funnily enough, the garaged that MOT'd it gave me an advisory on the rack last year, saying the whole thing had to be replaced at a total cost of £1400. Glad I left it!

allias

Nov 17, 2011
Somewhere in a middle
I had a look at ARB, i looked for any kind of damage to the paint on it where it had been banging but nothing

When you did your checks, did you raise your car or was it on wheels? Drop link should be checked while car is on wheels. Otherwise if you jack it you pull antiroll bar and many times its harder to notice any play in them. Control arms, toe arms, ball joints, springs & shockers should be checked while raised - antiroll bar links and bushes - ALWAYS ON WHEELS!
Overlooked by many places.

If you any where close to Leeds joins us here: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=336251and have it check out.

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Right Guys my front right has been knocking for ages but its getting annoying now, if i go over speedbumps or cat's eyes it knocks

Had a quick look at the Droplinks, Pulled them etc they feel ok so i thought top mounts but might aswell replace drop links aswell

So what aftermarket options is there out there for Droplinks? Im also under then impression that theres a new set of Audi TT top mounts that can be fitted to the MK5 Chassis (tfsi_mike sent me a link ages ago)

Did you ever get to the bottom of this bud?

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
ive had a look at springs,Shocks nothing appears broken or loose

Top Mounts didnt appear loose but might get new ones anyway

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
i had this on my 2010 Leon 1.2TSi, or it was a similar thing, I only noticed it over speed bumps though.

I took it into the dealer and they said it was the bearing mounting on my shocker? It was replaced under warranty anyway, don't know if this will help though.

Sam

Last edited:

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Have had this for about 1 year, replaced the drop links, still doing it, then in october I fitted new OEM top mounts both sides, still doing it :(

Have just decided to get on with it and live with it

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise