Advice needed, sheared bolt

sb_33

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help. I have a Leon MK2 FR Petrol and I could hear a noise as I turned left to right. Had a look under the bonnet and to the left of the engine I found a sheared bolt but I have no idea where it is from. I have attached a picture of the bolt and a picture of the area I found it. I wondered if it could be from between the two engine bolts which have marked in the second image. Could anyone else tell me if they have a bolt there?

Any help is appreciated.

screenshot by lightshot

greenshot screen capture

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
99.9% sure its a side engine mount bolt...you'll be okay for now but I would advise getting another one for replacement and have it torqued up again, you must of hit something or just really unlucky to snap it?

I got a few spares at home however not sure which one you have to be honest and prob best to buy brand new for 2quid or less :)

side%20mount%20diagram%20and%20torque%20settings.jpg

Last edited:

sb_33

Thanks for the reply,

It had cambelt and water pump about 2 months ago but I'm not sure what needs removing for that? I wasn't sure if there should be a bolt between those two in the picture?

cheers again.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for the reply,

It had cambelt and water pump about 2 months ago but I'm not sure what needs removing for that? I wasn't sure if there should be a bolt between those two in the picture?

cheers again.

We followed a guide to do a cambelt change and there is a few large bolts holding the pulleys etc, I would take it back to the garage and let them deal with it (would be covered) :) !

sb_33

Cheers sounds like it could well be I'll try and have a better look tomorrow and failing that I'll get it back to the garage. I can't imagine it snapping from anything other than being over tightened but who knows.

sb_33

Should there be three bolts holding the mounting to the engine? I can only see two

Walter Flanagan

Dec 15, 2014
Sheared engine mounting bolts

Just had exactly the same symptoms on my Cupra MK 2 TFSI R resulting in the engine mounting failing.There seems to be a connection with these bolts failing just after a cam belt change if they are not replaced with new stretch bolts. They are only meant to be tightened once to the specified torque.
The only other thing I can think could have caused the problem is going over a very deep pothole on the M62 at speed which could maybe have been the cause ?

Last edited:

chr1sd

Mar 16, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
That bolt on the original post has probably been used in the middle hole to align the mount and engine bracket. Then someones just forgot to remove it. I used a thick drift to align mine.