Bi-xenon not working on one side

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Apologies to those on Facebook for the shameless multi-forum post....

Problemo:
2 days ago one of our bi-xenons stopped working. Ordered some new D1S bulbs and replaced. Still no light. F-ing great.
Auto-leveling motors work, DRLs work, sidelights work, indicators etc etc. So everything in that light unit works except for the bi-xenon bulb.
Help :(
I wouldn't have thought this is fuse-related as the rest of the unit works

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
There is a fuse specifically for each of the xenon headlights, they could be powered separately from the rest of the lights. Fuses 5 & 6 (10A) in the dashboard.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I'm not sure how I would check the power to be honest.

Both fuses 5 and 6 are fine. One of the first things I checked. Didn't put it in properly again and car then complained about the AFL functionality hehe.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Have you tried swapping the fuses just to doubt check ?, I have had it in the past when a fuse looks fine but proved problematic when swapped with a new one

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Well, funny thing is.. I actually took the fuses out (5,6,16 and 26),but when I took 5 and 6 out, nothing happened. The working xenon still worked. I'll try switching fuses. 16 and 26 in the engine bay are for the entire light units. These are OK since all the other lights work.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
At add to that though.. It's happened twice now that the left (broken) xenon blinks twice when I turn the car on. It happened both times at the same place, but I couldn't repeat it at home. So the bulb, fuses and power must be ok

Marsh91

May 3, 2014
Hi dude i had the same problem and for your sake i hope its not the same problem i had! Took my car to seat about 4 months ago with the exact same symptoms...they had it and within 3 hours they rang me up to tell me it was a £850 repair bill! Basiclly they said that the ignitor on the bulb had shorted to earth which damaged the boardnetz...like i said £850 later it was fixed. But then about 2 weeks after i washed the car and didnt think anything off it...that night same thing happened again! Took it back to seat they said the bulb had blown, which was fixed under warranty!....now 4 months down the line guess what!? Bulbs blown again! Happened to be after i had washed the car again! (Although the light turned on after i washed it, with in 10mins of the light been on, it went off) soo back to seat i goes....even more bad news!! This time they have found a fault with the ignitor which they say was caused by some faulty wiring within the head light wiring! Plus another bulb this totals up to £950 on top on my orignal bill of £850!!! Seat will not honnor this under a good will repair and will not offor this under warranty from the last repair! As you can imagine im pretty peed off! I just hope this isnt same as your dude!!

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
... Dude... So uncool. If that's the case, the car is going. End of.
Well... That's my opinion hehe... Not sure Helen would agree. But not sure she has 1700 to spend on the car. Or 850

Last edited:

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Don't I know about it marsh, you haven't shut up complaining about it :roflmao:

Marsh91

May 3, 2014
Fingers crossed for you dude! Mine goes in next friday to be fixed! Have to let us know how you get on

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Never got a resolution to this.
My conclusion:

The bulb works, so it's not that.
It's not the whole unit, because other lights work so it's not the fuse. The motor for auto-levelling works, so it's not the fuse for the xenon, it's not the J519 control module because that controls both lights.
I've swapped the ballasts (j343) and still doesn't work. So that leaves module J667.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.