Radio and doorlock going off and on at random

turbowesil

May 18, 2010
Hi,

Anyone had a problem with the radio going on/off along with the door locks at random while driving and then the radio staying on when you get out and lock the car?

I have a 2006 FR TDI but I suspect the problem could happen to any mk2.

I took it to my local garage and they said the VAG Com indicated the radio, "comfort CPU" and door locks were all registering faults. They said this would be unlikely and thought their computer didn't have the software to diagnose it correctly and (painfully) that I should try the Seat main dealer. Said dealer will be charging me £102 for the privilege of maybe diagnosing the fault. Assuming they do it is likely to involve vast sums of cash and a "maybe it will fix it but no guarantees". Leaving me poorer and a square one.

Any ideas about where I should look for the fault? Anecdotal evidence and a trip to the Skoda forum suggests the ignition switch maybe faulty (hence the car responding as if I'm nonchalantly taking the key in and out while driving at 70mph). Also anyone got any idea how much that would cost (main dealer or independent)?

Cheers

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi mate

Yes I have the same problem, as my thread from last week.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=411820

Local Audio store tell me it's not unusual, it's not the ignition it's the stereo itself apparently, golfs also suffer same issue.

I have left the fuse out each night since. Not sure if I will try to get another off ebay or go aftermarket. Was given 2 quotes for a new one from SEAT one dealer said £600 the other £900!!

Let me know if you solve it please..

Last edited:

turbowesil

May 18, 2010
Yes think I saw that thread on my trawl though. My car was having similar symptoms though instead of the radio coming on it was coming on in standby (no noise) and flattening the battery.

My solution was to put a switch in to give the bugger a hard off. I bought a Quad-Lock extender (about 30cm) from eBay and put a switch in the power (P+) wire. I put the switch in one of the cutouts in the top of the glove box. This worked well and the battery hasn't flattened since - may help you?

But my problem has now got worse since and the door locks have joined in.

Last edited:

turbowesil

May 18, 2010
I have a solution - Instead of taking to SEAT I took a punt on the local garage changing the ignition switch. They were reluctant as they couldn't be 100% but it appears to have worked. Radio and Door locks working fine after a year of problems and being told the radio was the culprit.

For info it cost £130 of which £45 was parts.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.