PD170 injector problem

hollandgirl4

Sep 20, 2014
Norfolk
Hi, when my car is cold it idles really lumpy, it has a bad smell and today for the first time I heard a knocking sound coming from my engine and there was a lot of white smoke (so much so I could't see out of the back window). This is why I am really worried as obviously a knocking sound is never good. When my car got warm it was a lot less lumpy, the smoke disappeared and the knocking noise stopped. Now, the car was a still a bit lumpy when driving it and when I hit turbo I didn't feel that it had as much power as normal (although this could just be me being paranoid and trying to make a problem because of the earlier problems).
From what I've read online today it looks like it could be an injector problem. Really what I was hoping for was for somebody to tell me where the injectors are located in the PD170 as I've been searching online for ages and cant find it anywhere!
Also, if anybody else has had this problem or knows anything else that it could be, any help would be much appreciated please :)
I have also read that in 2011 some PD170 cars were recalled due to injector problems and I don't know if mine was one of the ones that had been called in for a recall and whether it ever went in if it was..
Sorry for the long post!

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
You can also check under the carpet where the spare wheel is for a campaign sticker with the code "23H9" printed on it. It should be somewhere near the large white sticker that has your VIN and PR Codes for all the options fitted to your car. When the injector recall is done the dealer should apply that campaign sticker in the location specified to indicate that the work has been carried out.

If you can't find the sticker, phone SEAT UK Customer Care on 0500 222222 and ask them if your car has ever had the injector recall done. The TPI number for the recall was 2027647. If yours has been done then SEAT UK will have a record of it on their system.

hollandgirl4

Sep 20, 2014
Norfolk
You can also check under the carpet where the spare wheel is for a campaign sticker with the code "23H9" printed on it. It should be somewhere near the large white sticker that has your VIN and PR Codes for all the options fitted to your car. When the injector recall is done the dealer should apply that campaign sticker in the location specified to indicate that the work has been carried out.

Thanks :) When I just went out and looked, the only sticker I could find on the carpet over my spare wheel was this one?
gL2wz5c.jpg
[/IMG] Don't know if I'm looking in the right place or not. What I will do is ring Seat on Monday as they are closed now to find out for definite. I'm not even sure if they would still do it now if it did need recalling but was never done as it has been years since they were recalled :confused:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
No, not that sticker. That is the part number sticker of the carpet flap itself. The PR Codes sticker is usually on the floor of the boot (not the underside of the carpet flap) to the left of the spare wheel. It will look something like this...

Pr_code_sticker_comments.jpg

The campaign sticker would be somewhere near to that. If the injector recall has never been done on your car then I'm pretty sure they are still obliged to do it.

Last edited:

Lachojski

Feb 3, 2016
Sorry this is an old thread but iv got an altea fr tdi and have a strong smell coming out the exhaust with white smoke on idle and a slight lumpy idle as well.im guessing this is an injector fault after a lot of reading on this site and others would you say this is correct?
You mention a sticker next to the sticker that has the colour code on and such,I have one that is a seat sticker with 2356 on it!does that mean the recall has been done?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.