Choosing the right Leon :)

Vedad1944

May 14, 2017
My friend has been looking for a Seat Leon for some time now, I we haven't got plenty of info on it, but AFAIK it's related to the Golf MK5, and it has some reliable engines, and some that aren't.

He isn't looking for performance, nor fuel economy. Gearboxes don't really matter either, just so it's a Leon, and that it's reliable.

Now he's had a Citroen C4 before, and it had DMF problems which were expensive to fix and that's why he got rid of it. Is there a Leon without a DMF?

So what I'm looking for is info on which engine+box combo is best for reliability.

Ty all in advance! :)

ray

Jan 7, 2016
What age/budget?

I went for the common rail FR170 (59 plate) because they are the facelift version with a far nicer interior than the earlier versions. Also the FR170 in these engines had a lot of injector issues.

I’d say get the Fr for Spec levels anyway, engine is punchy if you want it but it will also do 600 miles a tank no bother driving around at the speed limit.

Haven’t heard of any serious gearbox issues from the manuals, DSGs are great but I’d be uneasy buying a car for less than 5k with a DSG box that if someone goes wrong you can be looking at a couple of grand to replace.

As far as the car goes, it’s great, I replaced a spring when I got it and I haven’t had any issues I got it 2 years ago, it’s done 108k miles Now and is just as good as the day I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vedad1944

May 14, 2017
Well, Leons here hold their value pretty good here (as any VW related product), and their asking prices range from 3500 euros to 8500 euros (2005-2011).
He's looking to spend up to 5000, but the thing is there aren't many to choose from.

Almost all of them are TDIs, and we just don't know if there are any particular weak spots. I've read the 2 liter holds up worse than the 1.9, and the 1.9 is cheaper to insure.

I've also heard from my cousin who works for a VW garage, that most of the time Audis with 2 liter TDIs come with blown head gaskets, leaking turbos etc compared to the 1.9 which only come over for regular maintenance.

Right now there is a 2.0 TDI 104kw DSG up for sale for 4500eur, and a 1.9 TDI 77kw 5 speed manual for 4000 eur.
Is there a reason why two similar cars, with vastly different powertrains have only a 500eur difference in their asking price?

As far as I can see all of the diesel Leons have dual mass flywheels. Do petrol models have them too? Would it be worth to look for a petrol powered one?

ray

Jan 7, 2016
What year are they both?

As far as I know the 104kw one engines are fine it’s only the 170bhp ones that had the issues although these ‘should’ have been sorted by now.

It will be dependant on trim levels too and the 1.9 is the older style engine and with less power and less extras too.

Vedad1944

May 14, 2017
The 2 liter is 2006 (120k miles) and the 1.9 is 2007 (112k). Thanks Ray for the input!
Will look at more ads, there is a 1.6 MPI 2007 (73k), though it was sitting a while without a battery.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Check what engine it is but as far as I know the 2.0tdi 140 (104kw) are common rail so a more reliable engine than the 170 of its age.

Check their trim level and see what the differences are, then convince him to get a facelift (2009 on) version for a little more money.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise