Coil Spring and Exhaust Bracket

garyhdrums

Just had my MOT with a big F U from the garage. It failed on having the front drivers side coil spring cracked then told it's a common fault, At 75,000 miles that doesn't seem common.

Also my middle bracket for my exhaust has also mysterious fallen off, also told it's a common problem.

Is this BS or is it actually common.

Cracked spring opens the door for lowering ;) and broken bracket could be an excuse for a miltek exhaust system haha

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
Cracked springs are very common. I had two crack within a couple of months on my Cupra. I just replaced them with Eibach Sportline items and have never looked back. The ride is much better than standard with better handling and much improved looks. They weren't too expensive either.

Standard:

DSC_0803_zpsc26a85a2.jpg

With the Sportline springs after settling in:

yd22BLZ.jpg

(It's a Cupra, I just have the FR alloys. The drop will be more significant on non-Cupra models).

garyhdrums

Cracked springs are very common. I had two crack within a couple of months on my Cupra. I just replaced them with Eibach Sportline items and have never looked back. The ride is much better than standard with better handling and much improved looks. They weren't too expensive either.

Standard:

DSC_0803_zpsc26a85a2.jpg

With the Sportline springs after settling in:

yd22BLZ.jpg

(It's a Cupra, I just have the FR alloys. The drop will be more significant on non-Cupra models).
Thanks mate, I'm gonna order eibach springs and find a garage to fit them for me. Your car looks mint with those springs on. Makes it look a lot better

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
Thanks for that. They were a bit of a pain to fit as the steel of the shock absorbers on the front combined with the alloy metal of the steering knuckle (same as the S3 and TT I believe) meant they didn't want to part company. I don't think this is an issue on non-Cupra models as I think they are made of steel instead. I could be wrong though.

The original springs cracked at around 50k miles. It may be a coincidence but it was during some very cold weather so that may have played a part in making the springs more brittle.

garyhdrums

I had asked my brother in law to do it seen as he's a mechanic and got a swift F off haha, so it must be a pain to fit.

If I had the gear I'd try it myself, Gotta learn somehow

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Not too difficult on a ramp, got H&R springs on mine giving a 30 mm drop all round

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members