Code P0123 - After changing throttle body on 1.6 TDI.

Hojo

Feb 21, 2016
Hi,

I recently changed the throttle body on my Seas Ibiza Mk5 1.6 TDI due to P2111 code (throttle body plate is stuck in the open position.)

The replacement part was a refurbed one however after fitting I now have P0123 (Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input) and I'm trying to determine if the replacement part is faulty or requires Alignment with Vagcom to resolve the code?

I have the car booked in for 8th Jan, earliest I could get it booked in for, car seems to be driving fine despite EML light on and flashing coil light.

Deleted member 103408

Have you tried to clear the code (https://www.obd-codes.com/p0123) and https://autoservicecosts.com/obd2-codes/p0123/ shows the following have you tried these yet.

Possible Causes

The most common causes of P0123 are faulty throttle position sensor, open, shorted or poor electrical connection at the throttle position sensor. Other possible causes include:

TPS not securely mounted
Faulty TPS
Dirty Throttle Body (or carbon-filled)
Chaffed or corroded TPS, connections or wirings

How to Check

As with other error codes, it is important to record the freeze frame rate data and duplicate the conditions when the error code was set prior to a test drive. A qualified mechanic will use his data streaming scan tool and pay close attention to the engine load, RPM, throttle position, and road speed. When driving the vehicle, values will be compared to Intake Air Temperature sensor parameter ID. The Intake Air Temperature sensor voltage values should rise and fall depending on the changes in engine temperature. He will then compare the IAT readings to the readings from the Coolant Temperature sensor, which should move in tandem with each other. The temperature of engine coolant sensor will have a slightly higher range.

With key on, engine off, the IAT sensor connector must be checked. There should be 5V reference voltage and a good ground. Find your vehicle’s proper engine performance wiring diagram to determine the proper color and position of these connectors and wires.
How to Fix

Error Code P0123 is quite easy to fix, some of the most common solutions are pretty straightforward, These are:

Repair any shorts in connections or wirings
Repair or replace TPS connector or wirings
Replace TPS sensor

As said earlier, this code puts the PCM to failsafe mode, meaning it will cause various drive complaints, such as bucking or jerking, high idle, lack of acceleration, limited speed, or even stalling until it’s fixed.

When repairing for this trouble code, it is important to conduct a thorough diagnosis to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. Conduct a thorough visual test, and do not replace the TPS sensor unless you’re sure it’s what’s really causing the problem.

Hojo

Feb 21, 2016
Thanks for the post and information.

I have tried clearing the code using erase function but it immediately reappears as pending.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise