Mk1 Leon Cupra R 225 Garrett GTX2867R Build

LongDave

Apr 25, 2011
Hull
Mk1 Leon Cupra R 225 World Slowest Garrett GTX2867R Build

Guess that's why your turbo is angled with the Downpipe upwards, it gives you the room to get over the back of the cam cover.... Let's just say this is my first project and it's been a steep learning curve. Think I'm going to have to see if I can't either run it under the turbo or get a tighter bend around the coil pack. I think this is going to need to be another custom part though :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LongDave

Apr 25, 2011
Hull

Nice! So many things I'd have done differently with hindsight, external wastegate and taken the engine out for rebuild etc.

I've had a good go today and I think it's possible to get the pipe out of the back of the rocker cover. I just don't think there's anything on the market that'll do it.

However for now, I'm fairly happy with this, it's all below the level of the exit (just) I saw somewhere the seals are able to take 3psi or somewhere around there to take into account of any positive crank pressure in the sump, so really hoping This combined with the huge drop to the sump ought to be OK for the time being at least.
80aff1ef0c72d348631237247f5829bd.jpg
b169374e0a3dc3e9eac625dc773d42c0.jpg
4f144c80f8f7a5e59e2105ee8ded668f.jpg

Last edited:

LongDave

Apr 25, 2011
Hull

Progress today, all of the rim on the rocker cover trimmed, and discovered despite having a truck load of silicon hose I still don't have all the pieces i need to complete all the coolant and boost runs :(

081caa2456d23d245950bfd00619a200.jpg

Last edited:

LongDave

Apr 25, 2011
Hull

First start up today, plenty of smoke from all the new bits :)

Not happy with the pipework runs yet, need a fair bit of tiding up but i'm so relieved it seems to all have gone together as it was supposed to and ticks over as it should. Bloody loud though ;)

9dbee1cfd32a258af46af43b05ea18f3.jpg

Last edited:

LongDave

Apr 25, 2011
Hull
Few bits and bobs to tighten up, aircon to install and hopefully it might be my xmas prezzy to have it actually back on the road:3rd::3rd::3rd:

LongDave

Apr 25, 2011
Hull
That won't be any good. That'll pool and blow oil past the seals

Erm....so yeah.... You was right :/
Turns out turbo seals aren't "seals" as such like I thought they were, and are absolutely garbage at keeping oil from seeping through and they are in no way airtight so can't even push oil up 1/2 an inch uphill.

On the up side However, I have (or will) manage a gravity drain without a scavenge pump :)

I haven't nipped up the nut on the drain line in the pic (and may not be able to without binning the 90 degree pipe connection) due to a foul on the rocker cover, so it is currently weeping oil but the exhaust smoke cleared after about 2 mins of running so this seems to have been sufficient to allow the turbo to drain.
409dc20624b48713cfae038a81176fa6.jpg

LongDave

Apr 25, 2011
Hull
Long story short the above adaptors leaked so turbo off again, however we've managed to do away with the 2 90deg bends and go straight out over the rocker cover. Cars now running, not leaking and just being run in.

R-tech now have my booking form so hoping to have her in for mapping late Feb/ early March. FINALLY!

LongDave

Apr 25, 2011
Hull

Was beginning to think there was something wrong with the engine build as the logs id been doing were pulling timing at idle when blipping the throttle and I had a fault code of under reading knock sensor. Turns out one of the knock sensors wasn't plugged in properly :/ thankfully now there no timing pull at all (not that I'd expect any in this weather). On the way to work this morning I left it a little bit late to pull onto the slip road and had to squeeze the accelerator ever so slightly ;) needless to say i was grinning like a Cheshire Cat when the liquid gauge went straight off the scale :)

I know to take these readouts with a pinch of salt but there's loads left in her and not properly mapped yet so looking promising!

9936f3c858c83f625ec7fc94b2e55283.jpg

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members