Sparkie's Mk1 LCR Black Edition

scotty1310

Feb 21, 2016
Kent
Wow. One hell of a project you're building here. Great mods. I've just bought a Cupra R which was originally mapped at AMD. Couldn't help but laugh when she showed me the printout for the stage 1 map which apparently made 286bhp with an induction kit and cat back. Going to be booking into Badger 5 for them to have a look at what's been put on. Great to see good feedback on Bill's work.

Haha, AmD are useless and couldn't map a satnav properly lol!!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Ok.
Been a while.
Update.
Less than 20 days till track day at Snetterton.
Can't wait.
Been learning the track on project cars 2.
Definite advantage.

Carwise not brilliant.
Found an oil leak yesterday. Possibly rocker cover.
Car's back in to garage next week for a custom downpipe to be fitted, along with,
new clutch ( Sachs upgrade from Badger5)
Flywheel while it's out.
Main oil seal too.
Powerflex Poly bush dog bone mount.
New rear caliper. Re bleed all four corners.
New spark plugs.
Oil change.
Should be fighting fit for the track once that lots done.
Roll on the 10th.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Have fun tomorrow!! get some footage up on YouTube :funk:

Enjoy.

Cheers buddy.
There right now. We e been red flagged due to mist!! Gutted. Only completed about 15 laps so far. Very damp. Makes it exciting. Levels the playing field a little. Having it with a Lotus Exige and others. Mental.
Can’t get tyres to heat up much. Need more play time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: rainbird

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Cheers buddy.
There right now. We e been red flagged due to mist!! Gutted. Only completed about 15 laps so far. Very damp. Makes it exciting. Levels the playing field a little. Having it with a Lotus Exige and others. Mental.
Can’t get tyres to heat up much. Need more play time.
2311fc3cdf93ef7a40d271662e09a2db.jpg

Good luck with the day.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
b80cabf81074389dad397e05371bd61a.jpg

So track day at Snetterton was amazing. Totally amazing.
Car was such good fun.
In the wet it didn't take long to get a feel for when it would break traction.
In the dry the new tyres built confidence as they warmed up.
Car was quick. Was hitting 120 on the back strait.
Only issues were coil packs.
Dropped one half way round a lap, came in tried cylinder 1 and luckily it was fixed.
Half a lap later and it dropped one in cylinder 3. Not so funny and loads to unbolt.
Plus id only brought one spare.
Had to blag a mate to drive me to a motor factors.
Didn't loose too much track time as the other LCR that was there came off the track and it was red flagged for half an hr. while they cleaned up the track.
Have a few pieces of vid to put up at a later date. Need to sort YouTube account out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Ok, a quick update.
I finally found a good firm to do some more work on the exhaust system.
Consisting of a custom 3” down pipe and decat section which I’ve had for a while needing to be fitted and mated up to the existing exhaust.
While on the ramps I wanted a section made with a sports cat, which I can bolt in place of the decat section as an when I need it. Having visited a few establishments as not feeling the vibe, I came across a bunch of guys at Styled Dynamics.
As I pulled up I was greeted by 3 mk1 and mk2 W Golfs in differing levels of customisation.
Things were looking good.
When I found they were owned by the guys who owned/worked at the place and that they had BAMs fitted to 2 of them I knew I was in the right place.
Once on their ramps it was pretty clear that the original top section of the down pipe was still standard!
Having paid Custom Pipes Doncaster for a turbo back system and him telling me it was over 3”, to say I am pissed is putting it mildly. I have recommended them and I know I’ve given them business. I was also a returning customer.
I’m disappointed and gutted. But onward and upward.
Styled Dynamics did a great job
ab764e6f301c9a0126cb63d683e6fae2.jpg

Sports cat section.
e043846443584dc4c57b0f21827c1d51.jpg
original down pipe they removed.

d4aee34fcd4ec1d79dfb4bce02ae4f72.jpg
The new Custom down pipe and decat pre fitting.

So all now fitted. Car has deeper burble. extra growl and snarl. Sounded amazing on track giving it full throttle.
And best of all no back pressure build up at high revs.
Next up is another visit to Bill and co at Badger5 for a final custom stage 2 to produce its best possible power gains.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Ok, a quick update.
I finally found a good firm to do some more work on the exhaust system.
Consisting of a custom 3” down pipe and decat section which I’ve had for a while needing to be fitted and mated up to the existing exhaust.
While on the ramps I wanted a section made with a sports cat, which I can bolt in place of the decat section as an when I need it. Having visited a few establishments as not feeling the vibe, I came across a bunch of guys at Styled Dynamics.
As I pulled up I was greeted by 3 mk1 and mk2 W Golfs in differing levels of customisation.
Things were looking good.
When I found they were owned by the guys who owned/worked at the place and that they had BAMs fitted to 2 of them I knew I was in the right place.
Once on their ramps it was pretty clear that the original top section of the down pipe was still standard!
Having paid Custom Pipes Doncaster for a turbo back system and him telling me it was over 3”, to say I am pissed is putting it mildly. I have recommended them and I know I’ve given them business. I was also a returning customer.
I’m disappointed and gutted. But onward and upward.
Styled Dynamics did a great job
ab764e6f301c9a0126cb63d683e6fae2.jpg

Sports cat section.
e043846443584dc4c57b0f21827c1d51.jpg
original down pipe they removed.

d4aee34fcd4ec1d79dfb4bce02ae4f72.jpg
The new Custom down pipe and decat pre fitting.

So all now fitted. Car has deeper burble. extra growl and snarl. Sounded amazing on track giving it full throttle.
And best of all no back pressure build up at high revs.
Next up is another visit to Bill and co at Badger5 for a final custom stage 2 to produce its best possible power gains.

Shame really, I remember when you had it done and was happy with it. Shocking what people will do when they think they can get away with it.
Trading standards.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Shame really, I remember when you had it done and was happy with it. Shocking what people will do when they think they can get away with it.
Trading standards.

That’s what’s so annoying. Their work is really good. As many others who’ve been under my car have said.
Just couldn’t be arsed to go whole hog and did a short cut thinking I’d never look to see, as I originally told him I’d probably stick with a stage one map and that would be that. Cheeky ..........s

Reactions: Andrewwright

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
B76B5DE4-2E13-4060-9E39-4B224954BB46.jpeg
2E7B7559-DCE2-493D-A864-113B623D5288.jpeg
Bit of an update.
Took the car back to Badger5 to tune the car to exhaust now that the back pressure had been dealt with.
First base run on the rollers produced figures we were all pretty impressed with.
An additional 13 horses and 21 lbs of torque!
Bonkers. Just by letting it breathe properly.

Took it to Bedford Autodrome for a track day and the car performed well but was sliding and dipping in the corners.
Fun to drive like that but expensive on tyre wear.
Also the car is pulling G’s in the corners and a baffled sump pump as called for.
Met a guy called Oliver Beaumont. He makes up sets of baffles to sell and also has fully assembled versions for sale too.
One baffled sump later and another oil change and it was good to go.

Next up was the need to address the handling.
The shocks were probably there from new and every bolt was seized and needed cutting out. New bolt set from SEAT.
Once out it was all replaced with a set of BC Racing coilovers. ( when buying you need to order the Audi TT 2 wheel drive version )
While it was all being fitted I was advised by Julian from Balance Mtorsport to fit Whiteline control arm bushing that increases the castor by .75 degrees.
It makes the steering more positive and allows power to be laid down earlier in the corners.
So I took his advice as it was a 40 quid part.

Went back o the track a couple of days later.
What a difference. Turn in controlled,feeding in more power earlier when exiting the corners, it all came good.
Reduced slip and much more grip.
So surprised at the difference. I can’t wait to be back on track.
Here’s two links.
First is with new BC’s and second is with old spring suspension.
Mucking about on track with my buddy in his 30 year old Honda CRX. Vtec.
I do come off the track at the beginning of the first video on stone cold tyres.
Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Ok plug time.

Can’t thank Julian and
Balance Motorsport
enough for their help recently.
Julian is a suspension guru. Not much he doesn’t know.
I explained my symptoms on track. Namely, understeer and lots of wheel spin from turn in through to exit.
Also lots of tyre wear.
We discussed ride heights, anti roll bars and their strengths, castor , camber,
Bushing etc.
So helpful and informative.
Had to call him re fitting the Whiteline bushes.
He went out of his way to trawl the net to find clear diagrams of orientation etc. Brilliant after sales help.
He also price matched other sites and then gave me a discount too. Top bloke.
If in doubt as to what you need for your car, he’s the man to call.
Here’s a link to his site
https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/
End of Plug.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
0429e2679f4d1f32f0d90f08c7b6e7cd.jpg

Quick update,
Finally getting round to fitting my Corbeau Seat this week.
I have already modified the runners so not much to do bar drill out the subframe holes and bolt it in.
As a bare seat it weighs 6.5 kgs
Add runners and sliders and more like 9.5 now. Still an improvement on the weight of a standard seat.
While on the weight tip, I’m toying with stripping out the back seats and seat belt systems.
About 60 kgs saved when it’s all out.
No one really travels in the back any more, so figure it wouldn’t hurt to do it.
Dilemma is, I Don’t want it to look untidy though.
Decisions decisions...

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3” Sustem, FMIC, Bosh 550’s,
BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Deleted member 103408

Are you going to leave the passenger seat in as well and do you have to get one of these fitted

Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 00.13.45.png

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.