Leon MK3, Rain/Light Sensor, VCDS Checked, fault code inside.

imchrism

Dec 27, 2017
***FIXED - SEE REPLY (#3) ***

Hi folks, first time poster here.

Jumped in the Leon this evening (SC FR 184, 2014, about 61k on it) and the inside of the windscreen was frozen up, which is a new one, but I had some bottles in the car which I think led to the excess moisture (-3c here in Scotland, not totally surprised).

Drove up the road a bit and got a "Fault, Automatic headlight control" warning.

Turned the lights off then back to auto, and got the same warning.

I Checked it with VCDS when I got up the road, and here's what it's came out with:

934660 - Rain/Light recognition sensor
B1344 04 [009] - Internal System Fault

Now, I'm concerned the moisture has got to its internal electrics and I'm going to have to find myself a new one.

Anyone on here got any experience on this? I'll try it again in the morning to see if it's thawed and it's a fluke but I'm a bit worried here.

Cheers in advance,

Chris.

Last edited:

Col Max Pyat

Dec 31, 2017
Hi folks, first time poster here.

Jumped in the Leon this evening (SC FR 184, 2014, about 61k on it) and the inside of the windscreen was frozen up, which is a new one, but I had some bottles in the car which I think led to the excess moisture (-3c here in Scotland, not totally surprised).

Drove up the road a bit and got a "Fault, Automatic headlight control" warning.

Turned the lights off then back to auto, and got the same warning.

I Checked it with VCDS when I got up the road, and here's what it's came out with:

934660 - Rain/Light recognition sensor
B1344 04 [009] - Internal System Fault

Now, I'm concerned the moisture has got to its internal electrics and I'm going to have to find myself a new one.

Anyone on here got any experience on this? I'll try it again in the morning to see if it's thawed and it's a fluke but I'm a bit worried here.

Cheers in advance,

Chris.

How did this work out for you?
Got some moisture issues in my own car also :/

imchrism

Dec 27, 2017
How did this work out for you?
Got some moisture issues in my own car also :/

Not as bad as I'd initially hoped! I pulled the sensor (took about 30 seconds disassembly, split the trim behind the mirror and rotated the mirror itself off) and upon visual inspection it looked perfectly OK.

I turned the car on with the sensor unplugged and it came up with the BONG headlight fault BONG immediately. Plugged the sensor back in and it had to be triggered with some darkness in auto mode to bring up the BONG.

Found a used sensor on ebay for 25 quid (PN: 5q0955547b) which had come out of a Golf Mk7, installed it the other day and the auto lights have been working perfectly ever since.

I reckon I was right with the initial internal electronics suspicion, which is a bummer if the inside windscreen freezes up every time I've got a sudden frost.

Interestingly enough, I've got a bit of seal issue with the passenger side window. Every time I pressure wash the car, there's a bit of moisture on the inside of the window dripping down, wonder if that's where the issue's coming from.

Best of luck!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members