Common Mk4 Problems

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Have you ever claimed on it? My worry with aftermarket warranty is that its like insurance - they'll do anything to get out of paying.

If I extend it, it'll be through SEAT.

chris04 sx

speak up & stop mumbling
Apr 23, 2007
Horsham, W.Sussex
I have a clunking noise on my 130 sport 02. It comes from the passenger side front wheel when you pull off and go over bumps...any ideas?
Has anyone had any problems with rear wishbone bushes wearing badly? what price am i looking at?

I have the same clunking noise, but i never know when it gonna happen so i dont know where its coming from!! sound like passenger side!! chris..

MK8

Have you ever claimed on it? My worry with aftermarket warranty is that its like insurance - they'll do anything to get out of paying.

If I extend it, it'll be through SEAT.

I went through that, but i searched for a few reviews, and they seemed the best. i havnt claimed yet, i only just bought the cover. They seem like they are a good company, ill find out soon if i have to claim. The level of cover is so much cheaper than Seat's equivalent, all Seat do, like the other manufacturers, is go through an external company anyway, and charge you a premium.

Try searching for reviews for "WarrantyDirect", could save your self a lot of money.

rob1

IBIZA TDI CUPRA
Sep 14, 2004
WALES
front left sidelight keeps blowing - right side still on original.

turbo replaced, although it was remapped....:lol:

rear washer came undone a few times, they have a new modified clip out now - no problems since.

strange engine/ turbo stutter at lowish rpm - its like i lose boost, seat checked all pipes and cant find a problem but admit there are some 'flat spots'. My mate advised me that this is sometimes problems with the EGR valve that needs cleaning with some carb cleaner.. Any one else had this problem and know if its just something that needs a clean???

air con keeps getting spiked according to my vag com and from the way it randomly flashes some days - seems to work though!

pmdc199

Jun 7, 2004
turbo

Turbo manifold bolts on 20vt
these can work lose on mapped or standard car, starts with a loud whistle like kettle when on boost then gets more like blowing exhaust. fixed undr warrenty needed new gaskets and bolts happened over easter bank holiday so was with out car for over a week should be done in 2 days.

I have a grunting sound when i accelerated, sort of sounds like a blown exhaust, worse when engine put under pressure> i have on 03 tdi sport 130 diesel, do you think that could be the bolts?

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
power steering

my wife owns a little 1.2 ibiza chill in yellow on a 56 plate.
picked it up in april with 46 miles on it.
it has now got just over 1000 miles on it and the power steering packed up today.
called seat assistance they couldn't work out what was wrong so told my wife to drive to local dealer.
they have now got the car but not sure how long they will have it for.
but got courtesy car for the duration.
anyone else out there had a similar prob on such a new car.[:@]

chris04 sx

speak up & stop mumbling
Apr 23, 2007
Horsham, W.Sussex
Hay thats bad news.. bet thats pissed u off. my cars fine, but iam a tech at Chrysler dealership and we have 06/56 plate Grand Voyagers with leaking steering racks at 400 miles - 5000 miles... all are replaced under warranty!!
U would have though both manu's. have been making cars for yeah and would have got the simplest things made to last...

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
my wife owns a little 1.2 ibiza chill in yellow on a 56 plate.
picked it up in april with 46 miles on it.
it has now got just over 1000 miles on it and the power steering packed up today.
called seat assistance they couldn't work out what was wrong so told my wife to drive to local dealer.
they have now got the car but not sure how long they will have it for.
but got courtesy car for the duration.
anyone else out there had a similar prob on such a new car.[:@]

my local dealer has phoned us today and said that we should have the car back for wednesday.
it was the power steering pump.:(

licklelady

brought my 2002 1.2s in July 2005.

1. Drive it off the forecourt and 1 mile down the road the temp gauge goes right up and then engine cuts out. It had an oil leak aparantly which dripped onto a belt and made it slip and then it shredded! - fixed under warranty

2. Grinding/rubbing noise coming from front when going over bumps - had roll bar bushes replaced under warranty - problem is still there

3. Drivers window regualtor goes while on the M6 - problem fixed under warranty

4. Remote central locking stopped working - key replaced under warranty

5. leak coming from somewhere - drivers and behind drivers footwells are soaking wet, have to wet and dry vac it every time it rains - had door seal replaced, window seals checked - still not fixed

6. Cigarette lighter only works when it wants to - and even then doesnt get very hot - socket isnt even producing enough power to charge my phone - not fixed, not in the mood to spend money on the shed!

7. Passenger door refusing to open - wont respond to the remote key and wont let me pull the pin up from inside either. Cant put the key in the door cause the passenger side doesnt have a key hole! - still not fixed (hoping to vag com it at coombe abbey meet)

7. Timimg chain slipped, tensioner snapped = £350 bill. - fixed reluctantly

and the latest...

8. Rear washer jet not working - am guessing the pipe has come off - not fixed.

I really do love my car

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
we got the car back from the dealer last friday so very quick service and it was the power steering pump.

my wife also has a slight grinding noise from the front of her car when travelling at about 15 mph, braking and turning. we have spoken to the dealer but as usual they couldn't find anything wrong:confused:

chris04 sx

speak up & stop mumbling
Apr 23, 2007
Horsham, W.Sussex

1. Drive it off the forecourt and 1 mile down the road the temp gauge goes right up and then engine cuts out. It had an oil leak aparantly which dripped onto a belt and made it slip and then it shredded! - fixed under warranty

2. Grinding/rubbing noise coming from front when going over bumps - had roll bar bushes replaced under warranty - problem is still there

5. leak coming from somewhere - drivers and behind drivers footwells are soaking wet, have to wet and dry vac it every time it rains - had door seal replaced, window seals checked - still not fixed

6. Cigarette lighter only works when it wants to - and even then doesnt get very hot - socket isnt even producing enough power to charge my phone - not fixed, not in the mood to spend money on the shed!

7. Passenger door refusing to open - wont respond to the remote key and wont let me pull the pin up from inside either. Cant put the key in the door cause the passenger side doesnt have a key hole! - still not fixed (hoping to vag com it at coombe abbey meet)

and the latest...

I really do love my car

Thats a list!!!!!..
# 8 is a common problem.. but i never look out my rear window & never use my wash/wipe..
#7 dont u have to double click the eye remote..

licklelady

and the latest...

I really do love my car

i forgot......

9. this came after number 3 on the list - lol - when accelerating, my car would lose power, like a flat spot and then it would feel like it was braking although i wasnt pressing the brake. happened in all gears at all speeds. Turned out to be one of my brake sensors sticking, so when i was accelerating, my abs was tring to kick in at the same time (i think thats what it was) - fixed under warranty

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
1.4 Sport 05 Reg

Speed sensor failure at 7777 miles. Car started to lose power and put it back on again whenever it wanted to.
Fixed under warranty

Fuel gauge started giving erratic readings.
Fixed under warranty

hi there mate, you say the car started losing power? as in the engine sort of just cut off and lost power or just started going slower?

every now and then my Ibiza Sport will just cut the engine off while I am driving, regardless of what speed. Sometimes happends 3 times a days, sometimes once a month.

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
'

Since the car was two and a half years old I have had problems with the aircon. It can do cold - "lo" and it can do "hot" - so anything from 18C-24C comes out as 28C! The fan is also very confused, it blasts out air then cuts out, then blasts it and cuts out again. At the 3 year service they replaced a part , said it was one of the fans not working (they took the dash off), but it's no different now. I could not afford to go back there as the dealer is not nearby so I left it. I'm due a 4 year service in July but it's now out of warranty and going to be expensive to fiddle with the air con.

I have the same problem :(

pmdc199

Jun 7, 2004
strange grunting type noise

Could just be the IC pipe vibrating, does it do it on tick over ?

Not on tick over or if you push throttle on still, seems to happen when engine under load. Someone suggested a gasket on turbo and the bolts being lose?