timing chain question for 1.2?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Normally what happens with the 1.2 timing chain is that the chain tensioner fails and allows the chain to become loose. The chain then is able to jump the teeth on the sprockets for the crank/cams. One or 2 teeth jumping normally causes poor staring and low power from the engine. More teeth jumping can get quite serious in that the electronics will detect that the timing is out and stop you from starting the engine.

In really bad cases the timing can go out enough for the pistons to connect with the valves and bend the valves.

This can cost well in excess of a grand to fix.

good luck chap.

carly

May 26, 2009
belfast
Normally what happens with the 1.2 timing chain is that the chain tensioner fails and allows the chain to become loose. The chain then is able to jump the teeth on the sprockets for the crank/cams. One or 2 teeth jumping normally causes poor staring and low power from the engine. More teeth jumping can get quite serious in that the electronics will detect that the timing is out and stop you from starting the engine.

In really bad cases the timing can go out enough for the pistons to connect with the valves and bend the valves.

This can cost well in excess of a grand to fix.

good luck chap.

well mate my car is trying to start and it sounds the same just not starting. had the mashine on it and all the electronics in the car are ok . the mashine dont tell you when the timeing is going/or jumped a tooth. the only i need at the min is the tool do you know how much the tool is ??

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Ok mate, the tools are expensive, I don't remember exactly how much but they are more expensive than paying a mechanic to use their diagnostic machine and other tools to diagnose the fault for you.

A compression test will help to tell if the timing is out, if the compression is low then the valves are not closing at the correct time, meaning the timing is probably out. A compression test tool will be a lot cheaper than the VW timing tools if you wanted to have a go yourself. The tool screws into the spark plug hole and gives you a pressure reading on a gauge as you turn the engine over.

carly

May 26, 2009
belfast
Ok mate, the tools are expensive, I don't remember exactly how much but they are more expensive than paying a mechanic to use their diagnostic machine and other tools to diagnose the fault for you.

A compression test will help to tell if the timing is out, if the compression is low then the valves are not closing at the correct time, meaning the timing is probably out. A compression test tool will be a lot cheaper than the VW timing tools if you wanted to have a go yourself. The tool screws into the spark plug hole and gives you a pressure reading on a gauge as you turn the engine over.

see the compression test tool that just to test it ?? i need the tool to take it out and new one back in if you know what im talkin about

carly

May 26, 2009
belfast
sorry about asking the samething but do you know where i can pick the tool up for the timeing ?? was on to seat parts and they said they only sell parts not the tools

carly

May 26, 2009
belfast
got my timingchain but in to day. couldnt get the LOCKING TOOLS know where. so seremotors of the forum lend me the tools hes a top guy .

DFMM

If you have read back in this thread, you will be aware that failure of the auxilliaries' rubber belt can cause seizure of the engine, and then the chain jumps the exhaust cam sprocket, and bends valves. This happened with my Son's SEAT garage upgrade of the tensioners, due to sloppy work, That cost the garage dear.
I would renew the belt/tensioner, + any worn items driven by the belt, eg water pump & thermostat assy.
BUT, as I am not a hands-on mechanic, I would have an accountable mechanic do the work. ( the oil pump is chain-driven off a crank sprocket ).
Some after-market water pumps have brass impellers vs the VAG plastic ones.

carly

May 26, 2009
belfast

thanks for the help on that . it was the timingchain. and a coilpack was out. i ended up getting a lend of the tools of seremotors/divid of this site. when i was bring the tools down to him and when i got there it started misfireing went back up to the mechanic he but it on the machine and it was the coilpack. i was over the moon i was thinking it was the timing again lol

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
mine wont start and i am assuming it is the chain...its sounds like its trying to start but wont...could it potentially be something other that the dreaded chain? i guess the only way to find out is after a compression test...

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
mine wont start and i am assuming it is the chain...its sounds like its trying to start but wont...could it potentially be something other that the dreaded chain? i guess the only way to find out is after a compression test...

if it has happened suddenly, its very possible. very few things stop an ibiza overnight, and if you have no warning lights on the dash it wont be an immobiliser fault.

andy17

PD100
May 20, 2009
Southport
Going to "bump"this thread instead of making a new one.

Ive got my car back after it being in the garage for a month getting a new belt/chain fitted.

Probably a realy silly question

On the drivers side of the engine there is just a belt out in the open. I honestly cant remember if this is how it was, never really had a chance to look in the bonnet before it broke.

Does this sound right? Its a 1.2

cheers

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Going to "bump"this thread instead of making a new one.

Ive got my car back after it being in the garage for a month getting a new belt/chain fitted.

Probably a realy silly question

On the drivers side of the engine there is just a belt out in the open. I honestly cant remember if this is how it was, never really had a chance to look in the bonnet before it broke.

Does this sound right? Its a 1.2

cheers

Nothing to worry about :)
Thats the external auxiliary belt which drives the alternator and a/c
The timing chain which connects the crank and cam (bottom and top parts of the engines internals) is in behind the plastic covers.
A month tho ???????????????????

andy17

PD100
May 20, 2009
Southport
Nothing to worry about :)
Thats the external auxiliary belt which drives the alternator and a/c
The timing chain which connects the crank and cam (bottom and top parts of the engines internals) is in behind the plastic covers.
A month tho ???????????????????

Ahh, cheers. Panicking over nothing.

Yeah had the car 2 weeks, then it broke still under "warranty" from the garage i got it from.
Lucky it happened when it did so i didn't have to pay out...but they didn't half take there time over it

thanks for the help

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Ahh, cheers. Panicking over nothing.

Yeah had the car 2 weeks, then it broke still under "warranty" from the garage i got it from.
Lucky it happened when it did so i didn't have to pay out...but they didn't half take there time over it

thanks for the help

fairly common fault bud and one of the few expensive ones of this model. enjoy the car!

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
fairly common fault bud and one of the few expensive ones of this model. enjoy the car!

It's amazing how reading through this forum worries me so much about this particular problem. Every time i start my car i cross my fingers, mates say it's silly to be so paranoid, but if it does happen, then since i'm a student, it's Bye Bye car!

Very interested in this Tensioner only jobbie, you seem well clued up, just wondering if it's something every Seat dealer would have some knowledge of?

I'd rather not make the problem worse by having a badly fitted tensioner as opposed to a crap one :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.