Siren sound (almost)!

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
Hi all, i thought i finally had the tolly running correctly after placing so much work in the car!

Im getting a whining noise when accelerating, its not constant as when cruising on highway it goes away.

I checked some videos of TDI siren sounds and it was considerably louder that what im getting.

Visited a turbo expert and he said “your geometry is blocked” which is a statement i dont fully comprehend. He said it needs cleaning that and the EGR valve as well. According to him turbo is not working at all which is not a reliable statement as there is turbo noise,

Just wanted a second opinion, anyone had this before as well?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lonti

Nov 28, 2017
I have the same issue with my car Seat ibiza 1.6 tdi 2013.
I don't think it is the EGR, or the turbo. If the egr have issue, then you get some fault codes, and I did try to accelerate and the turbo seems to work?

The noise starts at 1200-1300 rpm and it ends around 2100 or atleast i can't hear it cause of road noise.

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
I have the same issue with my car Seat ibiza 1.6 tdi 2013.
I don't think it is the EGR, or the turbo. If the egr have issue, then you get some fault codes, and I did try to accelerate and the turbo seems to work?

The noise starts at 1200-1300 rpm and it ends around 2100 or atleast i can't hear it cause of road noise.

Hi Lonti!

Its exactly the same starts and ends at those RPM,
The EGR seems messy full of oil when you check the seals around so i think it might be a build up of oil and dust at the valve actuators, im thinking of opening it and cleaning it maybe it will give some result,

The doesnt seem to pull quite good but otherwise its fine, once when i gave it the beans it cut the throttle and started shaking so i dont really know what to blame it on

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
If it's never been cleaned I bet your EGR will be choked with sludge and a clean out will work wonders and following that through, if your EGR is caked then most likely the turbo is as well and the vanes will be sticking.

However you would really notice power problems, even going into limp mode when too bad so I would guess that your problem could be elsewhere. If you can get to undo the pipework to the turbo you can feel the ends of the turbine cartridge to check for play and freedom of movement, there should be only a minute sideways movement that you can barely detect with your fingers, but there should be no in-out play.

If it was leak from any of the turbo and intercooler pipework you would normally get a whistling or flutter sound changing as the revs alter until hiding under road noise at speed.

A true whine is from metal to metal or some other equally hard material. Air escaping with have a more whistling or fluttering sound.

To that end other suspects could be timing and aux belt system, water pump or even wheel bearings.

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
If it's never been cleaned I bet your EGR will be choked with sludge and a clean out will work wonders and following that through, if your EGR is caked then most likely the turbo is as well and the vanes will be sticking.

However you would really notice power problems, even going into limp mode when too bad so I would guess that your problem could be elsewhere. If you can get to undo the pipework to the turbo you can feel the ends of the turbine cartridge to check for play and freedom of movement, there should be only a minute sideways movement that you can barely detect with your fingers, but there should be no in-out play.

If it was leak from any of the turbo and intercooler pipework you would normally get a whistling or flutter sound changing as the revs alter until hiding under road noise at speed.

A true whine is from metal to metal or some other equally hard material. Air escaping with have a more whistling or fluttering sound.

To that end other suspects could be timing and aux belt system, water pump or even wheel bearings.

Hi thanks for the reply! Turbo was done had to get a new unit, installed it yesterday and its all good at the moment, still get some white smoke on start up when cold but it goes away, when engine gets to temp no smoke white or black even when flooring it

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Visited a turbo expert and he said “your geometry is blocked” which is a statement i dont fully comprehend.

He was referring to the vanes held on a ring inside the turbo, as you apply for more power a vacuum is applied to the actuator from a valve (N75 I think). That vacuum pulls a rod down that is attached to the vane ring opening them to allow the turbo to spin higher.

These types of turbo systems are known as Variable Geometry Turbo's.

Those vanes are like little flippers and can get caked up as described before. They get increasingly harder to move until almost nothing.

Hence: "your geometry is blocked". It's a poor description he's used but that's what he means.

JasonHughes22

Nov 5, 2017
I siren noise can be caused by a poor ground in your stereo system. If it winds up and down as you rev up the engine. Are you sure if it is or is not coming through your speakers?

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
I siren noise can be caused by a poor ground in your stereo system. If it winds up and down as you rev up the engine. Are you sure if it is or is not coming through your speakers?

Hi Jason,

It was most definitely the turbo, took it out to see if it needed cleaning etc and the shaft was moving quite a bit, replaced the whole turbocharging system and now its gone

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members