seat assistance/warranty cover

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Bought a 53 plate Ibiza from a Seat dealer 2 weeks ago which came with a 12 month warranty.

On checking the warranty paperwork, it just mentions a Lumley Dealer Network, Lookers Care A cover plan.

Checked the Seat web site and all approved used cars cars should come witha Seat 12 month gaurantee and a Seat Assistance roadside rescue package.

I don't have any paperwork which references to the above and from what I can see the warranty is just for the dealers Lookers.

I was under the impression I could take my car to any Seat dealer for warranty work as Lookers in Stockport is a good few miles away (My local dealer is David Cook)

I am at the dealers Tomorrow for the wheels to be refurbed (part of the deal when I bought the car) so I would rather have some info to hand before I go steaming in [:@]

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
I believe warranty work is covered at any garage as long as it is VAT registered and they use Genuine VAG parts.

Have a quick gander around the Mk1 forum as this has come up a few times for discussion.

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
I've now written to Seat UK asking it to be transferred to the Seat approved warranty

At least that way I can go into my local dealers David Cooks who are extremely helpful

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Seat have now replied saying that my car has been transferred on to their Seat Approved Scheme (Thanks Sam if you read this ;)) and that Lookers had made an error

I did notice on my Invoice that I had paid £169 for this Lumley Warranty,something I was not aware of until checking all this lot out.

The dealer told me that all Seat approved cars come with a free warranty so looking at getting my money back now

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
whats even worse is when I got the log book back there is one more owner on it than was advetised.[:@]

Not sure where I stand on this one as surely this will have an effect on resale value

Another letter to Seat !

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
That's a sneaky trick the salesman uses to con you about the number of previous owners on the log book. If you go to a dealer and buy a new car, it has no previous owners (obviously). But if you go to the dealers and buy a second hand car with 1 previous owner, then an HPI check will show up no previous owners as the log book will still be in the name of the first owner, and he was indeed the only owner of the vehicle. Moving this scenario on a little, if the vehicle has had 3 owners from new then the name on the V5 will be the third owner and an HPI check will show the number of previous owners as two. You buy the car having been told there are 2 previous owners and when the log book arrives with your name as number 4 on the list, an HPI check will now show the number of previous owners as 3.

Dealers either use this trick to con you into a better deal, or some of them are so thick they don't understand how to read an HPI report.

You could quite legally use the same trick when you sell the car on, as long as the buyer doesn't realise.

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Thanks for that,very sneaky :(

The way the ad appeared on the Seat website was 2 registered keepers

Luckily I copied/pasted the add off at the time it was on Seats site so I still have it here.

round 2 [:@]

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Having a real battle with Seat customer services regarding the extra owner

Apparantly there is a disclaimer advising customers that

"some errors may occur"

That means they could hide behind this disclaimer and get away with anything

Round three [:@]

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
May be worth pointing out that "errors may occur" but that doesn't mean they are acceptable. An error has occurred in your case and you've brought it to their attention so that they can rectify the situation. Trading Standars website states "- goods should correspond with any description applied to them."

Link to Trading Standards.

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Update

Spoke with DVLA who confirmed that there has been no errors and the car has definately had 3 previous owners

I have sent a form off requesting the history of owners (along with a cheque for £5.00!) which the dealer wil get a copy of the reply from DVLA along with a copy of the original Seat advertisement

Not sure what I can achieve at the end of all this though?

Another thing as well is the same dealer has lost my service history book and I am still awaiting the replacement (well they've actually lost mine and 8 other customers [:@])

Last call to the dealer was that Seat had sent them out a month ago but not arrived so they have ordered again

What a shower of :censored:

j3ster

Doesn't sound like the dealer has actually lost it then, but that they never received yours or the 8 others from Seat?

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Quick update

got the paperwork back of DVLA

Appears the first registered owner is Seat

Does that mean they pre-registered it?