Mk1 Leon Head Unit Installation

pemps

Sorry if this has been posted before. I've checked the search facility and can't find the exact details of what I'm asking.

Anyway. I'm swapping my Aura headunit in my 53 Leon for an Alpine (probably the CDE9882Ri) and was wondering what I needed.

So far I've come up with

Facia adaptor
Aerial Adaptor

But I've now been told I need an ISO adaptor. I've not seen anything about this on here and was wondering if this is the case. I assume it is as there isn't just one plug in the back of the existing Aura stereo.

stereo.jpg

My other question is, I've read people talking about swapping the yellow and red leads over so that the new stereo holds the stations in the memory? I assume it's the yellow and red leads that go into the blue plug that need swapping? If so, how?

Thanks and apologies if this has already been discussed.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
You shouldnt need an adaptor with the Alpine radio, I've never needed one with any of mines in my Seat's.

In your photo, the brown connector is for the speakers, the black for the power and the multicoloured one currently goes to your changer if you have one so that connection will be vacant afterwards.

On the loom for your new radio, you just plug the black and brown blocks in to the wiring harness for it then swap the red and yellow wires round on the harness (This keeps a positive live to your headunit when you take the key out, rather than it losing all it's settings) and then connect the harness to the headunit. The red and yellow wires on the harness will be bullet connectors, they're designed to be swapped as the wiring setups are different on one car to the other.

The fascia is because the Aura radio is wider than the normal at the front... you may need a antenna booster if you get a poor signal as the Aura has a built in booster I think but the Alpine won't.

DeeroTDI

Mar 12, 2007
Just bought a new Pioneer head unit, but having read a few threads about this I'm still a little confused about how I "swap" the red and yellow wires. The wires on the Pioneer loom have bullet connectors half way down - is it here that I swap them over, despite the installation manual that came with the head unit saying I must connect the same colours together?

Can someone give me an idiots guide please?!

I've installed head units in the past but never had this red/yellow wire issue before!

DeeroTDI

Mar 12, 2007
Great, thanks LEE69, I'll give it a go once my facia adaptor arrives.

Now to tell the Mrs I've been spending money on the car and not her....!! :-o

SRStdi

Aug 18, 2008
This is what ive been looking for...

So two things... i dont need a the radio booster part if i buy Alpine?

Secondly i have a parrot handsfree kit which cuts out the stereo etc where does this plug in? what do i do with this if i buy an alpine?

cheers

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
the booster is required with an aftermarket unit most of the time as they dont have a built in amp for aerial although i never listen to radio so i have never fitted it.
parrot kit plugs in-line (between car iso and alpine loom) dont worry about connecting the mute wire unless you are using the phonos on the alpine,if you are attach to the alpine mute lead or youll have your sub playing in background whilst talking to whoever on the phone :cartman:

SRStdi

Aug 18, 2008
Thanks Lee, so how does the antenna amplifier plug into the power? Do you simply cut the wire and splice the ignition wire and wire from the amplifier together?

cheers

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
sorry to drag this up again but this is a bloody useful thread!! answered alot of questions.

Q: the back of my new HU has a plug that looks VERY similar (if not identical) to the standard one... minus the changer block. It didnt come with any wires (2nd hand). Does that mean that i'm literally just plug and play and my car kit will function normally etc... and i guess i still need to swap the red and yellow wires?

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
Yeah called an ISO block they are plug and play, chances are the red and yellow will need to be swapped.

wheey... cheers lee. its in and sounds awesome. any thoughts on how i get it to switch off automatically when i pull the key out?? also when i switch it off and back on it saves all the settings so do i gather that i dont need to worry about swappy swappy on yellow and red?

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
ok will do. not going to be easy as its VERY tight. just to clarify... its the red and yellow on the black block (not the CD changer socket) reason i ask is that theres three red wires and one yellow in the black block. one of the red's has a white stripe on it. located next to the yellow. but its a tad confusing

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
on the above diagram... which number gets switched with which? might clarify it for me. i take it the wires just pull out and push in?

and thanks very much for your help. very much appreciated

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.