Coilover obession - Why do you really want coilovers???

IrishCupra

Mar 25, 2013
Im very interested in this topic aswell, as im new to SCN i was wondering can anyone help? Im currently building a 300bhp leon and im wondering whats my best suspension option. I wont ever be going to a track as i live in ireland and the roads are crap aswell but i want to lower the car ( about half inch above the tyres) and also give it a bit better handling because of the power. Was thinking about coilovers but would i be better with a good brand springs or something like that? Thanks

Trist

Good read. I have an ibiza cupra used only on track days.
It currently has bilstein shocks with eibach springs. When I drove it briefly on the road it felt very planted and very hard. But when on track it just doesn't cut it under heavy cornering.
I will probably remove and sell this set up and look at the KW V2 or AP

Adjay

Sep 5, 2011
Donegal,ireland
It currently has bilstein shocks with eibach springs. When I drove it briefly on the road it felt very planted and very hard. But when on track it just doesn't cut it under heavy cornering.

Thats like mixing ketchup with porridge they dont go together. Bilstein you best having a complete spring and shock set up from the company when upgrading. But its not about the make its about the model of spring and shock you have. Im a big bilstein fan and they have a few different models for the same car. Also bilstein do stqndaed replacement shocks that are not upgrades but same oe if you know what you mean. Like I had complete b10 setup.

Last edited:

robertj

weight is the enemy

You won't regret moving to a good quality coilover. The main advantage being the adjustability which you will really feel the benefit of on track. The V2s will do the job but if you can stretch to V3s or Clubsports you can really get into fine tuning it.
I run 2 cars with Clubsports and while they are far too hard for the road even on their softest settings, on track they are fantastic especially when mated with some decent ARBs.

bigwull

Oct 22, 2013
tyre, glasgow
I will admit I was one of the ones that was going to buy coilovers just because they were coilovers, not really knowing how to set them up, I was just going to stick them on try and set the height using a tape measure and leave it at that but after reading this thread I will be staying away from them and buying spring/damper setup more so now for the comfort factor, most of its life is spent taking me to work and back the misses down the shops and a wee play about at the weekend, never going to track it as im too scared of someone ploughing into me. Thanks for starting the thread and opening my eyes, good job

Last edited:

dimitris_thess

coilover options

Hello I am a new member in forum. I have 1p leon 1.8 (k04 setup) 350hp, bilstein b12 with eibach springs, , powerflex bushes , wavetrac lsd.I use the car for hillclimping and track.I want to buy racing coilovers and loose some weight...What options do I have for racing coilovers? How can I lighten the car? If enyone already did this please share the project

Shrako

Jun 19, 2012
Bulgaria
Sporty suspension like the b12 will always be better on normal roads due to the small bumps which cause the coilovers to jump all over the place

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jaytiz

Jan 26, 2014
Leicestershire
This has been fantastic, before hand I was unsure as to pick coilovers or springs and shocks. now I think I will be going for a set of ST Springs & Shocks, 20mm may not be that low but I am going for for better cornering than "slammed"

Thanks

Bunter6

Dec 29, 2010
Coatbridge
This has been fantastic, before hand I was unsure as to pick coilovers or springs and shocks. now I think I will be going for a set of ST Springs & Shocks, 20mm may not be that low but I am going for for better cornering than "slammed"

Thanks

Yeah this is a great thread, I'm just comnig back to a MK1 LCR again after having an S4 (need to downsize) & my previous one had standard shocks and springs.

I was advised to keep OE equipment or maybe just lowering springs if I wanted a little more of a purposeful look but for fast road driving it would be better to refresh the bushing and fit poly-bushings at certain points & also to fit uprated ARB's.

I kind of took the shotgun approach and replaced all the bushes with powerflex poly's & fitted Neuspeed ARB's 25mm front & 28mm rear. What a difference it made! Kept the std ride quality but the road manners were massively improved.

This is what i'll be doing with my upcoming LCR too, the roads around glasgow are not built for super stiff springs ;)

Kinloch52

Feb 4, 2015
I am serious now about lowering my 2014 Leon 2.0 tdi fr and was looking what people's experiences with the same car with different setups are? Is there much problem with any aspects of lowering. Am not a slammed guy I just like the car sitting at a nice height after fitting 19" wheels. Money not really a problem but not looking to spend fortunes lol

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise