Ibiza FR problems?

vinyldj

hi, had my FR for about a year now and have had the same two annoying problems since I got it. I have looked around this forum and found ppl with similar problems but not quite the same.

Been to my dealer a few times regarding these problems, a good Seat dealer in Uddingston, Glasgow no A.Cl. connection.

Problem 1. Severe Creaking Noise from Rear Tailgate when its raining or been raining or when the car is just washed. Happens going over small to large bumps (especially Speed Bumps). Identified as a known problem by the dealer. Apparently the fix is to adjust the tailgate so the boot locks tighter.

This has been done twice but I still got the problem :) so what next?

Problem 2. This one is more pie in the sky as the dealer has tried tried and tried again to identify where the problem is coming from never mind a solution. Apparently they deal directly with seat technical and they haven't heard of this one either, maybe you guys have.

When braking from speeds normally above 20mph I get a high pitched noise that is noticable inside the vehicle but is louder outside the vehicle. Now the noise will only remain if I keep my foot on the brake once at a standstill, as soon as I lift my foot off the brake the noise goes. The noise has been traced (by the dealer) to around the rear at about the full tank. They changed the fuel pump as this might have been where the feedback noise was coming from but needless to say I still get it. This one is ongoing with the dealer - I think they want to know what it is as much as I want it fixed.

Any ideas on both of my problems would be cool.

regards

vinyl.dj

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
I was reading about problem 1 on a french ibiza forum. The solution is to make it so the boot lid does not get pinched in so hard to the car body ie the opposite of what they told you! They have also mentioned putting silicone spray on the rubbers.

Only thing I can think of for problem 2 is to get a mate to drive it and then when it happens just get out and start listening to exactly where is is comming from. Take out the rear seats, parcel shelf etc.

Hope youg et it sorted and welcome to SCN:D

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Do you really have to push hard on the boot to close it? Sounds something similar to my sisters, but no real noises coming from it. Just very difficult to close.

greggy

Mine too

My car has been making exactly the same noises.

Noise 1 - Creaking/grinding noise - Worse at lowish speeds over speed bumps, especially after rain and when the roads have been gritted.

I took it to the dealer - 1st fix was to tighten the exhaust heat sheild - made no difference, in fact made the noise leaving the dealer forecourt. Second dealer - took the car out with the service engineer - managed to recreate the noise - he said just a normal noise due to suspension components flexing?

My fix - Take the car to the local powerwash and spray the underside and rear suspension really well. - After everthing has dried out it will stop making the noise - Im sure this is grit in the rear shock or bushing.

Noise 2 - My car has allways made this noise - I thought it was normal.

Hope this helps

If you have any more info on these noises it would be gratefully recieved to pass on to the dealers who never seem to intested in "noises"

vinyldj

Thanks for your comments

Interesting comments guys thanks. Taking my FR to the dealer next Monday cos I curbed it badly and I need a new alloy wheel £140 :(

So I will mention your comments on Problem 1.

As far as problem 2 is concerned the service manager came out with me and Identified the noise at the rear of the car around the fuel tank but as I said they have no idea whats causing the noise (they tried changeing the fuel pump but that made no difference).

will let you know how I get on with the creaking craking rear noise problem cos I don't think the other prob will ever get fixed although they did tell me that the car is fine and the noise is nothing to be worried about albeit they don't what casuing it.

Anyway a note on MODS, comments appreciated. I am considering the MTM ECU remap to take my FR TDI up to 163bhp (120kw) :). Manufacturer link here: http://www.mtm-online.de/en/index.php?nav=3&FZID=IBIZATDI96 Or take a look at the UK suppliers QuattroSports http://www.qstuning.com (they do the work) They don't have the Seat Ibiza listed on their website but the equivalent vehicle is the Golf TDI 130bhp. £550 fitted.

Only prob is TCS will kick in more frequently as in the Cupra

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members