Mechanic cannot bleed brakes

Toledo Driver

Hi All,

I have little to none mechanical experience regarding cars and always trust in mechanics to do the job properly. After my Seat dealer closed up a few years back I've been getting my 2005 Toledo serviced with another Dealer (not Seat). Left car into today on advice of said mechanic who said that the brake pipes needed changing. I expected to pick up the car today but mechanic rang to say he was having problems bleeding brakes. He said there may be air in the system. So what's the story? Could he have done damage and is trying to cover his tracks? I want to be as informed as I can when I call to speak to him tomorrow. What questions should I ask? How will I know if he's messed up? Can it be fixed?

ANY HELP very very appreciated!

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
I dont know if the systems are the same (but being VAG, it could well be) but on my 03' Golf it's possible to get air in the ABS unit itself which gives spongy pedal - perfectly servicable mine passed MOTs like it - but the only way to bleed it out properly is using VAG-Com to cycle the pump.

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
Were the brakes spongy before it went in?
If not, then he has messed up somewhere and either not tightened a joint, or broken something!
Bleeding brakes is a simple process.... More so for a so-called mechanic.
With an ezibleed kit it's a 10 minute job... Old fashioned 2 man pump the pedal, 30 minutes.

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
Were the brakes spongy before it went in?
If not, then he has messed up somewhere and either not tightened a joint, or broken something!
Bleeding brakes is a simple process.... More so for a so-called mechanic.
With an ezibleed kit it's a 10 minute job... Old fashioned 2 man pump the pedal, 30 minutes.

These systems should never be bled using the "old fashioned pump the pedal method" unless you want to roll the seals and then have to fit a new master cylinder/servo.

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
These systems should never be bled using the "old fashioned pump the pedal method" unless you want to roll the seals and then have to fit a new master cylinder/servo.

How ? Forcing fluid into the slave cylinders is exactly how the system works...releasing the pressure at the nipple makes no difference does it ? :confused:

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
How ? Forcing fluid into the slave cylinders is exactly how the system works...releasing the pressure at the nipple makes no difference does it ? :confused:

There's lots of info about how to properly bleed these systems, I'm not saying it can't be done just that it shouldn't be done, plenty of horror stories about people rolling the seals and then having to fit new servos at massive costs.

michaelg1001

B5 S4 Avant
Jun 24, 2008
Sheffield
I've just bled the brakes after making a massive ****-up with my eezibleed and pumped air into the system to the passenger rear caliper. Eventually got it sorted, bled the calipers, then the ABS with VCDS, then bled calipers, then ABS again, then the calipers again, then the master cylinder, and then finally the calipers again. I got air out of the rears calipers each time. I was very lucky not to have buggered the master cylinder up from what I've read.

Luckily I've got another car so did this over the space of a week.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.