Taking wrap off

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
I have had my roof wrapped for maybe 2 years or more now.

Does anyone know if I was to take this off would there be damage to the paint?

If so how would I get it looking its best again?

Cheers

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
I have had my roof wrapped for maybe 2 years or more now.

Does anyone know if I was to take this off would there be damage to the paint?

If so how would I get it looking its best again?

Cheers

It all depends if you garage the car, the brand of the vinyl and the condition of the paint before you wraped it.

The best way I found is to elave the car toasting in the sun for a few hours or using a heat gun and remove it with patience to avoid leaving much glue residues in the paint.

If there's much glue after you remove the vinyl, use a bit of white gasoline, goo gone or mineral spirits with a rag to remove them and wash thoroughly to remove all the solvent from the paint and avoid staining.

Since it's a big section covering the whole panel, there's no need to polish the paint to level the fade on the clearcoat, but you can do it if you feel like it. After a couple of weeks in the sun, there should be little difference on the paint color, and because you have a clear color it's less noticeable.

I really doubt the vinyl will peel the clearcoat unles you used a really cheap material or the roof was recently painted, but there's a 20% chance it had brittle enough to make a pain in the ass to remove since it can break when it's too dry and burnt. :(

Last edited:

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
Ok thanks. There wont be much hot sun where I live until at least April time so heat gun it is.

I guess im worried about the lacquer coming off more than anything. A local known company done it so im guessing the wrap was of high quality.

r4ider

Oct 4, 2014
Dont get too eager with the heat gun , lacquer gets hot really quick. If u get tired stop and resume after.
Clean the lacquer with isoprophilic alcohol diluted.

i would def use a fine polish and protect the roof with a sealant or wax

Richie29

Nov 1, 2014
Harrogate
I had to take off some stupid sticker bombing vinyl today bit of a pain but yeah use the heat gun on low and it should come off just take your time

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.