First impressions - New Exeo ST owner.

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
Hi Guys,

Well I finally picked up my 25k miler 62 plate Exeo ST 170 Sport Tech on Thursday and immediately put it to use on a 160+ mile trip from Swindon to Cornwall yesterday...

E71CB9C0-E3E2-4DB0-9D49-221306D68DBF_zpsckg8p7jt.jpg

First impressions: Quiet, refined, smooth and comfortable (mostly*). The ride is good, firm, occasionally bouncy but never harsh, very composed through the bends and the diesel engine is flexible and unintrusive.

I averaged 44mpg on the mostly 70-80mph cruise which seems to be the car's comfort zone, which is "OK" if not great, I'd expect 48-50mpg ideally but I guess I'm also getting used to it so may be able to get more on the trip home.

The comfort is only spoiled a little for me by my left knee rubbing against the centre console (and I'm only 5'7"), the clutch pedal seems to have a lot of travel to fully depress but if I move the seat closer my right leg ends up cramped against the other pedals, I'm sure I'll either get used to it or settle on a compromise position - also you need to wear slim footwear to avoid getting caught up between the clutch and rest plate!

Everything is well put together and solid, the Bose stereo is good with a little tweaking and things like the folding mirrors that do so silently impress (a previous 2007 Civic I had made a lot of motor noise when the mirrors folded, it's the little things!), the single gas strut that holds the bonnet up, neat engine bay, lined storage cubbies, everything feels "premium".

The 170 diesel feels a little strange to me (coming from a 2.0 tsi Petrol Scirocco), kind of like a petrol/diesel cross. It lacks the low range torquey thump from the old PD diesels but is happier to rev, though it's smoothness hides its power somewhat. I may well get a remap as a 184bhp Fiat Grande Punto diesel I had felt immensely powerful with one! It sounds OK when you push it though and always feels refined, almost too refined as I still struggle to gauge where the power band is. Another thing I'll get used to with a little more time behind the wheel though! I'll get to test the power a little trying to climb out of the steep, narrow, leafy Road leading out of the cottage I'm staying in - coming down it was hard enough!

Overall I'm very impressed with it as a relatively compact and sporty estate, it feels built to last and cossets you away from the world outside rather nicely, it handles well and not too nose-heavy considering the longitudinal diesel lump. If I can get a little more economy out of it it'll be a near-ideal car.

I look forward to being part of the SEAT gang for a good while to come!

Jim.

luap64

Aug 27, 2014
Hull, East Yorkshire
Nice looking ST Jim, Like me ST's :lol: Could do with some mud flaps thou to stop all that S:censored: I looked at a Se in white but it just didn't cut it, but yours look very impressive
Paul

Last edited:

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
Nice looking ST Jim, Like me ST's :lol: Could do with some mud flaps thou to stop all that S:censored: I looked at a Se in white but it just didn't cut it, but yours look very impressive
Paul

Haha, cheers Paul - I agree, white would not be my first choice but I'd been looking at a few cars for a while and it was the best that came up! There was a similar black one available which looked great but the extra 10k on the clock and 2 hour drive to view swayed me to the more local white one. Lower springs and nicer alloys help a lot with the look of the ST!

In fairness the dealer fixed up a few things I noted without complaint too (even though it took a couple of weeks) - the only fly in the ointment being they seem to have misplaced the book with service history etc now I've picked it up (they told me it was in the car). Leaves me with a little concern but with 25k on the clock and 5k showing on the indicator to the next service I presume it's had at least one! Resale value comes to mind if it doesn't turn up though. The tyre pressure light came on too but they were all fine, the dealer said hold the button down to reset it and it worked - just hope that isn't simply turning it off! :D

I'll give mudflaps a look! :)

Last edited:

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Don't want to sound negative but a missing service book wont make a huge difference to resale values, as Seat has stopped making the Exeo it has taken a kicking already in the price. Seat can get you a print out of the services completed (as long as a Seat dealer carried out the services)

Last edited:

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
The tyre pressure light came on too but they were all fine, the dealer said hold the button down to reset it and it worked - just hope that isn't simply turning it off! :D
I'll give mudflaps a look! :)

Make sure the tyres are about the same in tread depth on the same axle as this can throw the TPMS out (past experience)

Defo give the mudflaps a look, I fitted them to mine and they fitted/looked great, compared to £100 for OEM its a no brainer :bleh:

Last edited:

Devoured1

Oct 17, 2012
Wirral
Mine never came with a service book either (or a handbook), never thought of contacting Seat to see if it was serviced by them, thanks for the tip jcbmally.

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
Cheers for the feedback guys, I'll definitely take a look at the mudflaps!

I know the service book won't make a huge difference but as it was advertised as having full history I'll be a bit annoyed if they can't find it as frankly I'd not have paid as much for the car - I also don't now know if it's even got a current MOT (and as such valid insurance) as I'm just taking their word for it and can't check until the V5 comes through. Also - if it hasn't been serviced won't that invalidate the remaining year of manufacturer's warranty? Little things but could all work out to be problematic! I'll try to find out more tomorrow, just tricky as I'm on hols all week...

On the plus side the car is still driving wonderfully and I'm realising the power is there, just a little higher up the rev range than expected! :)

Last edited:

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Nice car Jimrod, however I may be slightly biased as I have one exactly the same :)

I felt exactly the same as you regarding the power delivery. I had spent a lot of time driving around a 1.9 Tdi Golf and the common rail units are much more linear and almost petrol like in their power delivery. I was suprised to "feel" it pull harder from 3k ish rpm, where as my old PD unit used to run out of puff. But 2-3K feels much flatter than the surge you'd get in the PD unit, maybe a remap will make it feel more muscular in that range as I personally find it a bit lack lustre.

Fuel economy - just back from myself from a long road trip to West Wales. I get bored of sitting at 70-75 but do spend 80% of the 500 mile trip at that speed. The rest is <100 leptons and I get 46.5mpg on the way there (muchos country lanes on the last 50 miles) and 50 mpg on the way home (don't tend to have so much fun on the country lanes as car is cold for the best bits).

My car has 12k on the odo so am hoping it gets better with age. I am also on yearly servicing which again I hope would improves economy too.

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
it was advertised as having full history I'll be a bit annoyed if they can't find it as frankly I'd not have paid as much for the car

If they said it had full service history they must have it, whether it be a book or print out (false advertising ????)

I don't know if its got a current MOT

The car must have at least 12 months warranty left being a 62 plate !!! if so it will not require an MOT until 3 years old

Last edited:

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Mine never came with a service book either (or a handbook), never thought of contacting Seat to see if it was serviced by them, thanks for the tip jcbmally.

No probs fella, if the dealer cant help contact previous owner and they might help.

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
Nice car Jimrod - identical to mine! (except mine doesn't have the small decal badges on the trim on the rear doors - not all ST Sport Tech's do).

3 things to watch out for that I've had with mine:

- foot rest to left of clutch - check the screw is in firmly (or if it's there at all!). Mine came off and jammed under the clutch, and I know a couple of other owners have had this happen on similar-aged cars too. Poorly assembled at the factory.

- parking sensors. You'll see a separate thread on here with the ongoing saga of these not working properly/at all when it's wet (after rain, not after washing the car).

- window glass - check that ALL the rear windows have the dark tint. When new, mine had one panel (rear quarterlight) that was not tinted, but only noticed when the sun was out/a bright day. The dealer has since told me they've had 3-4 of these, all made around the same time, where they've had to replace the glass under warranty.

Other than that, I've not had any issues.

Is yours Nevada White (metallic)? If so I've had excellent results with Jeff's / Werkstat Acryllic Glos - really brings the metallic bits out and makes them sparkle in the sun.

Cheers,

Graham

Last edited:

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for the comments and info!

Still on hols in Cornwall so only had a limited chance to get used to the car on unfamiliar roads - I did manage to get up to 46mpg on the run from Plymouth to Bude but it was largely 40-50mph behind lorries. I was also thinking about comments I'd read about the ECU learning your driving style over a couple of hundred miles which might mean I can squeeze a couple more mpg out on the trip home tomorrow as I felt I'd driven pretty carefully on the way down here to achieve a pretty mediocre 44mpg. Especially given that this face-lifted model was supposed to feature a revised final drive ratio for economy!

I'm definitely edging towards a remap when funds allow as I'm still getting a little caught out by the slightly gutless feel at low revs - the car is very smooth on the move, very nice to drive too but I'm used to PD diesels and the turbo petrol Scirocco that always felt torquey. I've managed to stall twice going over slow speed bumps in 2nd, something that historically I'd never noticed a problem with even in lower powered diesels (I'd had a 90bhp Passat and 120bhp Laguna as company cars some time back), though some of this could be down to coming from the DSG back to a manual of course! The gear change indicator seems overly optimistic for the engine though, occasionally indicating changes that drop me as low as 1000-1100 revs, barely over tick-over and seemingly putting some strain on the engine, especially if even mild acceleration or an incline comes up!

While I'm sounding negative these are very minor points and adjustments, im loving the car overall!

I did realise about the MOT thing as I spoke to the garage, also they said they'd get me a print-out of the history. I still miss having the "book" though and not confined that it's all "just kept on computer" nowadays. There are odd things I miss having a manual for such as the tyre pressure sensor button, I don't really know if I just leave it to warn me if anything goes wrong, if I have to reset it when I've inflated the tyres or if the car can actually inform me of the pressures??

I'll check the window tints when I venture outside next! The parking sensors have behaved so far and I'll give the footrest a look. I think it's the base white but I'll see what the V5 says when I get it back! :)

Thanks all for keeping the discussion alive while I've been offline! :)

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
I do mainly very short journeys of 1-2 miles, and my car averages a measley 32mpg as a result. However - coming from a 2.0l petrol Mazda 6 that averaged 14-16 (!) on the same driving, that's actually not too bad. A longer journey (which I do every 3 weeks or so to make sure the DPF stays clear) sees the average for that journey going up to mid-high 40's mpg on average. My car has just done 8,000 miles and has improved over time. It hasn't yet had its first service - the computer says another 11,500 miles to go (it's on long-life servicing).

I can't say I find mine gutless at low revs - having just had a Skoda Fabia diesel as a courtesy car for a week, mine feels positively rocket-like!! But I guess I've got used to it (had it 18 months). Agree re. the gear change indicator - particularly 40mph in 6th, doesn't really work - particularly on a slight incline.

I love the car overall too - the best one I've had although I do miss the Leon FR 2.0 TSI DSG (petrol) I had.

I think I have the PDF manual for the Exeo at home. Will PM you if I do and can email it or give you a link. If not, I can certainly scan/email a PDF of the tyre pressure monitoring page if you want it. I can't remember off-hand how it works but I think you press and hold the button when the tyres are at the correct pressures until it dings, and then it's set and working. If a tyre drops in pressure relative to the rest, it then warns you as far as I remember. I have noticed that if ALL the tyres drop in pressure (as is normal with temperature variations), it doesn't warn you.

I've also found some excellent stuff for cleaning the leather seats - which makes them nice and soft and doesn't make them sticky. Will forward details of that later too (can't remember the name of it but it was recommend very highly by a detailing company). The leather on my car was very "hard", and looked a bit lacklustre, but is 100 times better after being cleaned.

Enjoy your holiday!

Last edited:

Devoured1

Oct 17, 2012
Wirral
I've stalled mine quite a few times in the 6 weeks I've had it, the Altea I had previously would pull away fine in 2nd gear but the Exeo won't....something I'll have to keep remembering.

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
Oh a PDF would be great if you can gletts, no worries at all if not though!

I feel I've been a little negative overall, there are many positives about the Exeo I'm finding though - the overall feel is very similar to my '2000 5-Series which is quite a compliment, that was a fantastic car (530i SE), the weight and smoothness, the planted feel are very alike, the Exeo a touch harder over the speed bumps but overall very close.

The Sat Nav is very effective and accurate, a good system (postcode limitation aside) and the sound-proofing top notch. I checked and the acoustic screen is still in place, a chip repair was done by the garage and I was hoping they didn't have to replace the screen! :) All-round visibility is excellent too, something newer designs struggle with due to various reasons. The steering is great, nice and light when manoeuvring, heavy enough on the move. Even the gearbox and gear-change a match for any I've used - "the missus" commented that she thought it was smoother than the DSG in the Scirocco which is praise indeed, especially since I'm the one driving. :)

It's a comfy and classy place to be overall, the seats good and leather a notch above the quality of many standard offerings. I like the slightly aged design in many ways - some cars I'd looked at had all the toys that inevitably go wrong like keyless entry, stop-start buttons, electric handbrake etc (the Exeo handbrake has proved excellent in hilly Cornwall!), you have just the right amount of convenience and no unnecessary gimmicks.

It's a very nice car indeed.

Last edited:

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
I've stalled mine quite a few times in the 6 weeks I've had it, the Altea I had previously would pull away fine in 2nd gear but the Exeo won't....something I'll have to keep remembering.

I was same had mine 2 month now and still do it. Defo not the same torque at bottom end as the 2.0 pd engine

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who'd remapped a 170 as to to what effect it had, it made my old Punto just a more extreme version of what it was so it may not change the character much, it could still feel a bit lacking off-turbo and then kick in with a vengeance once it spools up! I don't want to ruin the smoothness but merely get more low-down grunt which should help economy too.

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
Yeah, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who'd remapped a 170 as to to what effect it had, it made my old Punto just a more extreme version of what it was so it may not change the character much, it could still feel a bit lacking off-turbo and then kick in with a vengeance once it spools up! I don't want to ruin the smoothness but merely get more low-down grunt which should help economy too.

I treated my 170 to a DTUK CRD-T box last month and it definitely puts a big grin on your face :D. I had a PD150 Golf with the DSG intake pipe mod and she went like the clappers - felt faster than the CR170 Exeo. Now with the CRD-T box the Exeo feels and probably is the quicker of the two.

There's a number of programs & options for the box but documentation on what does what is pretty much non-existent - I've gone with Program 2+1 which I would say is an improvement throughout the range and as such the power appears to come in a couple of hundred revs earlier in the range.

Might be worth asking in the DTUK advertisers forum if theres a program setting to increase the bottom end power specifically.

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
I found this readout from Celtic Tuning, Remap seems to give a broad boost across the range - interesting to see the standard version differences from manufacturers figures though, max torque and bhp coming fairly high in the rev range which would explain the slightly peaky nature. Similar to an old 8V Golf GTi vs 16V, the torquier but lower powered 8V being the nicer drive.

Doesn't look like much impact until 2.5k revs though so probably not much difference to the basic character.

14723DA0-4DDB-4AF1-B8E8-45D5441DDF37_zpswarb7vll.jpg

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise