Seat Leon FR mk2 TDI 170 Abs problem!

Chris D

1.8 20v
Apr 30, 2016
Hi guys I'm just wondering if anyone could help me out..
The problem I have is when I turn left my abs and traction control warning lights come on but after say a minute they disappear?
Is it possible it could be a sensor problem?
Any help is appreciated!

m4nny

Sep 30, 2017
UK
Hi guys I'm just wondering if anyone could help me out..
The problem I have is when I turn left my abs and traction control warning lights come on but after say a minute they disappear?
Is it possible it could be a sensor problem?
Any help is appreciated!

Do an experiment, see if you can reproduce the same thing at different speeds?

Check that brake pad/disc is still sound and that the lines are still connected well too, also maybe compare both sides.

Do you notice any restriction in turning left in general? what speed does this happen?

Manny

Chris D

1.8 20v
Apr 30, 2016
Do an experiment, see if you can reproduce the same thing at different speeds?

Check that brake pad/disc is still sound and that the lines are still connected well too, also maybe compare both sides.

Do you notice any restriction in turning left in general? what speed does this happen?

Manny
It's mainly close to full lock turning left it happens generally.
I do notice some restriction and my brake pedal sort of grinds like the abs is kicking in, I've noticed as well there's like a clunk in the steering wheel when I actually do full lock it parking up etc..

I've only noticed it happen at slow speeds turning left at junctions or into a side street.

I'll get a video of it happening later too :)

Thanks for the reply!

Chris

Seat Leon MK2 FR170 TDI

Greyscout

Oct 1, 2017
It seems to be throwing up more than just the ABS light, reckon you're going to need a code scan to see what's causing the fault.

m4nny

Sep 30, 2017
UK
Thanks, here's what I think

If it can be viewed that's a video of the problem,
Cheers!//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59db808f870bf/20171009_120430.mp4

Seat Leon MK2 FR170 TDI

Thanks for the video.

Observing the lights and that ' clunk' :

- One it could be something hitting a sensor/some unit which looks after things related to abs and the ESP.

- ESP/ABS and The TPMS go off. Since as far as I know TPMS works off rotational speed and ESP and ABS are linked it's definitely to do with the same thing.

The mechanical clunk may be pulling on something or hitting something such as the speed sensor.

Have a look at the video, it shows how all these 3 things are linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lg1pAkdVn0

It might be as simple as getting it on a ramp at a local garage, full lock and have look, from underneath. Maybe remove the plastic covers in the wheel arch. Compare left full lock to right full lock.

Hopefully, should give you some more ideas of what's mechanical happening. Could be like in that video, that, maybe a cable is snagged or something is dislodged or something is loose.

The reason you don't notice at high speed is fairly obvious, hardly any amount of steering and the ABS probably works fine as the lights come up as you pass a mechanical turning circle.

Hope this helps, but yeah get it on a ramp and see if you can observe any of the above.

Good Luck, when you get back with more info, I'll be glad to look into it more and see what is the actual root cause. You may want to dig through the internet to get an assembly drawing of the whole wheel mounted/suspension set and see what things connect.

Manny

Chris D

1.8 20v
Apr 30, 2016
It does actually feel like it's something that's snagging like a cable.
I'll take it in tomorrow and mention what you've said,
Luckily it's under warranty so any repairs, if needed won't break the bank!
Thanks alot for your help I really appreciate it mate.

Seat Leon MK2 FR170 TDI

m4nny

Sep 30, 2017
UK
It does actually feel like it's something that's snagging like a cable.
I'll take it in tomorrow and mention what you've said,
Luckily it's under warranty so any repairs, if needed won't break the bank!
Thanks alot for your help I really appreciate it mate.

Seat Leon MK2 FR170 TDI

Oh great!

Good luck.

:)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.