Best lowering springs for high motorway mileage

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Well finally got round to fitting the rear springs on cupra.

Vw racingline springs. Haven't had chance to tackle the front yet

Working all day:cry:. But thought I'd wizz the rear ones on tonight as fairly easy to do.

Well so far looking good I thought. I think its lowered about 20mm which

Doesn't sound like much but I think it makes a huge difference even in looks and the seems to be slightly firmer but not overly harsh still its hard to say till I get the fronts on as to whether comfort will suffer but I
Think it will but its bareable

I don't want it really low as I just find that silly for every day driving with road conditions and bumps pot holes/speed bumps

I definitely think the handling is goin to be much better from pitching om braking and will be flatter in the bends

Few pics. Sorry they ain't brilliant was rushing and I took some in dark to tonight .... As you can see front looks higher than rear now and looks

Squat on slopping drive. Once fronts are on should look nice I think

Anyway let me know what you think :happy: :whistle

Very nice mate, looks a lot lower than I expected but that might be because of the driveway as you mentioned (that's a good thing though in my opinion).

That sounds ideal to be fair mate, I went for a spirited drive yesterday down some country roads after changing my seating/steering position to test it out and there was a bit too much body roll/instability for my liking so hopefully the introduction of some of these would aid that

Agree with you on the 'too low' side of things as I have to go over a few speed bumps and climb 10 stories in a multi-story car park for work which wouldn't be ideal, especially with the triple r splitter

Keep me updated on how it is round corners and general driving if you don't mind mate, as well as some pictures in the daylight! I've just about got over the shock of buying my macbook now so I might opt for some of these in the near future

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Well finally got round to fitting the rear springs on cupra.

Vw racingline springs. Haven't had chance to tackle the front yet

Working all day:cry:. But thought I'd wizz the rear ones on tonight as fairly easy to do.

Well so far looking good I thought. I think its lowered about 20mm which

Doesn't sound like much but I think it makes a huge difference even in looks and the seems to be slightly firmer but not overly harsh still its hard to say till I get the fronts on as to whether comfort will suffer but I
Think it will but its bareable

I don't want it really low as I just find that silly for every day driving with road conditions and bumps pot holes/speed bumps

I definitely think the handling is goin to be much better from pitching om braking and will be flatter in the bends

Few pics. Sorry they ain't brilliant was rushing and I took some in dark to tonight .... As you can see front looks higher than rear now and looks

Squat on slopping drive. Once fronts are on should look nice I think

Anyway let me know what you think :happy: :whistle

I was going to mention in my previous comment that I was sure the VWR's lower the rear by 25mm however I wasn't sure so I just checked and my thoughts were correct - This might explain why it looked lower than I anticipated! ;)

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
Vw racingline springs

Finally got round to fitting fronts springs. It's was slight pig and it's easier to undo drive shaft nut and not the inner joint lessons learned on the latter side done. Had to buy a 12bi hex socket though. also a hub spreading tool is a must but in found a 1/4inch shaft worked ok. On to springs and I have to say they ride almost as good as stock if not better Im thinking . Seems to have lowered around the 20-25mm which Doesn't sound like much but does improve looks. The handling is definitely better regarding pitching/nose dive on braking. I seems to have cured the annoying squeaking from the rear too:lol: not sure how
As you can see on pics front springs slightly shorter but have more coils didn't measure diameter but they looked very similar maybe slightly thicker
I noticed on the h&r springs for golf's are progressive and alot say they don't work that well with stock/acc dampers

Vwr are linear. I mean you would think progressive springs would ride better over rough tarmac/bumps but it seems the dampers can't cope with them:confused:

Not seen many on here with h&r springs as to whether they ride **** well on ibizas anyway.
Hard to tell on pics it's an overcast day....bloody weather:cry:

Overall I'm pretty pleased:)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ML56u3oSnPIfwkbw1

Last edited:

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
Vw racingline springs

Finally got round to fitting fronts springs. It's was slight pig and it's easier to undo drive shaft nut and not the inner joint lessons learned on the latter side done. Had to buy a 12bi hex socket though. also a hub spreading tool is a must but in found a 1/4inch shaft worked ok. On to springs and I have to say they ride almost as good as stock if not better Im thinking . Seems to have lowered around the 20-25mm which Doesn't sound like much but does improve looks. The handling is definitely better regarding pitching/nose dive on braking. I seems to have cured the annoying squeaking from the rear too:lol: not sure how
As you can see on pics front springs slightly shorter but have more coils didn't measure diameter but they looked very similar maybe slightly thicker
I noticed on the h&r springs for golf's are progressive and alot say they don't work that well with stock/acc dampets

Vwr are linear. I mean you would think progressive springs would ride better over rough tarmac/bumps but it seems the dampers can't cope with them:confused:

Not seen many on here with h&r springs as to weather they ride **** well on ibizas anyway.

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens

I noticed on the h&r springs for golf's are progressive and alot say they don't work that well with stock/acc dampets

Not seen many on here with h&r springs as to weather they ride **** well on ibizas anyway.

Looks good mate, glad to hear that it’s kept the standard comfort levels and improved handling/nose-diving etc, best of both worlds haha

I’m debating getting myself some either this month or next, or prioritising the side skirts, can’t decide - Either way, they’re on the list!

You don’t happen to live near Rainhill do you? I feel as though I recognise that road, seen a Cupra on a drive way there recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
Springs

Looks good mate, glad to hear that it’s kept the standard comfort levels and improved handling/nose-diving etc, best of both worlds haha

I’m debating getting myself some either this month or next, or prioritising the side skirts, can’t decide - Either way, they’re on the list!

You don’t happen to live near Rainhill do you? I feel as though I recognise that road, seen a Cupra on a drive way there recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rainhill st Helens? No I don't live there ha!. I'm about half hour from there I would say.

Honestly I went for a drive over buxton as I live near there;) and I can honestly say the car is quieter and seems smoother over rough tarmac and smoother again on smooth ha
I have no squeaking from the rear. Even my door card dosent seem to be rattling as much I'm amazed really though it was gonna be alot worse. Only noticable difference is over large pot hole or very dipped grids where it kind of bangs a little but only very slightly more than the stock springs. I find do noticed it more when sport button is pressed
And does firm it up but still not uncomfortable as before I couldn't really tell much. These should be fitted by the factory i think :D

Just want a miltek now haha!! Splitter and spoiler:whistle:

Oh and did you put the wrap on lowet bumper yourself or did you take it to be done? :p

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Rainhill st Helens? No I don't live there ha!. I'm about half hour from there I would say.

Honestly I went for a drive over buxton as I live near there;) and I can honestly say the car is quieter and seems smoother over rough tarmac and smoother again on smooth ha
I have no squeaking from the rear. Even my door card dosent seem to be rattling as much I'm amazed really though it was gonna be alot worse. Only noticable difference is over large pot hole or very dipped grids where it kind of bangs a little but only very slightly more than the stock springs. I find do noticed it more when sport button is pressed
And does firm it up but still not uncomfortable as before I couldn't really tell much. These should be fitted by the factory i think :D

Just want a miltek now haha!! Splitter and spoiler:whistle:

Oh and did you put the wrap on lowet bumper yourself or did you take it to be done? :p

Yeah! That's a shame, I live near there haha!

Lucky! Stop it you're making me wanna get some prematurely :lol:

Just out of curiosity; do you tend to drive in sport mode most of the time or just on occasions? Because I literally never use the standard drive mode I don't think, unless I'm on the motorway in bad traffic

Yeah a miltek would be nice, but I'm not willing to spend 1k on a catback :lol: Get the splitter ordered, really good value for money iMO and I got it wrapped at autowrap in Manchester the first week I got it :rofl:

I wouldn't recommend them though, they did a good job but they're overpriced in comparison to others as I found later on!

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
Nice:lol:...

So you live near St Helens or buxton:lol:?

Yeah I never press the sport button on unless I'm going for a thrap haha

If I'm just cruising I have it normal mode can't be bothered to push it on ...lazy. Ha!

I wondered about getting some wrap and doing it myself i mean how hard can it be just that small bit.:rolleyes:

Had car aligned this morning. Tracking was toeing out bad which is understandable but every thing else was within spec bar the caster but thats not adjustable and was only just a c*nt hair out ha!

One of rear wheels was out of balance had a load of weights on and didn't need them which was strange:blink:

Need to go for a drive to test shortly put but it felt ok on drive back this morning then had to dash off to work.

Yeah think I'm gonna order splitter soon. Did you ever have it on without the bottom bit wrapped? Wondered what it would look like?

All good though:D

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens

If I'm just cruising I have it normal mode can't be bothered to push it on ...lazy. Ha!

I wondered about getting some wrap and doing it myself i mean how hard can it be just that small bit.:rolleyes:

Had car aligned this morning. Tracking was toeing out bad which is understandable but every thing else was within spec bar the caster but thats not adjustable and was only just a c*nt hair out ha!

One of rear wheels was out of balance had a load of weights on and didn't need them which was strange:blink:

Need to go for a drive to test shortly put but it felt ok on drive back this morning then had to dash off to work.

Yeah think I'm gonna order splitter soon. Did you ever have it on without the bottom bit wrapped? Wondered what it would look like?

I live in St. Helens mate

I think I'm going to leave it in standard more often when cruising, I really like the stiffer steering though :blink:

Yeah it's worth a try mate, can't imagine it'd be expensive for a piece of gloss black wrap. I think I paid £50 for it, which is a bit over-priced haha but I had no prior experience/exposure at the time and they said they could do it in 20 minutes so I just went with it!

Ahhh nice mate, sounds like you did a good job of it - Keep me informed :whistle:

No mate, got the wrap done first week of ownership and the splitter a month or so later!

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens

How're you finding them mate?

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
Yeah pretty good so far. Definitely an improvement.... Though if you wanting super low these are not for you.

Handling is better not uncomfortable.

Still not ordered my splitter yet. But just put a sonax sealant on car

Seems to be good and beading water nicely :lol::rolleyes:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise