Turbo on a non-Turbo 1.4

cameron_harris

Nov 12, 2017
Hi Guys,
I'm looking at turning my current 2009 1.4 ibiza into a project. Its currently only 85bhp. At the moment I find it a bit gutless compared to my leon 1.4 tsi. Is it possible to put a turbo on my non turbo engine after upgrading the intake etc. What are your thoughts on this?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This question gets asked now and again and the usual answer is:- "forget it, not a useful project". Reasons will include availability of suitable plug and play turbo retro fitting kits, unknown power increases/limits possible, chassis and brakes upgrade needed, ending up with an oddball undesirable car that might not be easily insured.

So, I have to ask the question, if you already have a Leon 1.4TSI and are happy with its performance, why on earth did you buy a Ibiza 1.4 16V 85PS only to think it would be better f turbo charged? I'd think the smart money is being happy with your Ibiza 1.4 16V 85PS as it is and use it as a reliable runabout, or bin it and trash your savings on a 1.4TSI Twin Charger if you want a challenge, reliability might not be a strong point with that one but it sounds like you value power over convenience.

cameron_harris

Nov 12, 2017
Cheers for the help! I recently bought the leon and my ibiza is my original car. Was going to keep it as a sort of project that I wouldn't cry too much about if it went wrong . I'll probably end up getting an mx5/miata as I've always wanted a project anyway .

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.