Engine Management Light - Error Code P1296

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
Ive had the engine management light come on lately, computer has been plugged in and the code was P1296: Cooling System Malfunction

Ive read that this is the coolant temp sensor

Can anyone confirm this is correct and have actually done this themselves and cured it before I go and buy the part and fit it?

Many thanks in advance

bob.slater.71

Oct 26, 2014
www.facebook.com
Ive had the engine management light come on lately, computer has been plugged in and the code was P1296: Cooling System Malfunction

Can anyone confirm this is correct and have actually done this themselves and cured it before I go and buy the part and fit it?

Many thanks in advance
Do you have any problems with the revs?
Only asking because I can't remember the code I got when it was my coolant temperature sensor

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
Do you have any problems with the revs?
Only asking because I can't remember the code I got when it was my coolant temperature sensor

Over the last 3 months I did have the revs go up and down a bit and thought it was a bit strange, but at this time the engine management light had not come on

bob.slater.71

Oct 26, 2014
www.facebook.com

Many thanks in advance
Well the guys on here where very help full with it. Sensor cost about 8 pound and takes 5min to fit( don't do a school boy error like me and do it before the engine has cooled down properly). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1bCJvHsyQ0 have a look at this link the guys sent me last time. Worth a pop for the cost and time.

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
Well the guys on here where very help full with it. Sensor cost about 8 pound and takes 5min to fit( don't do a school boy error like me and do it before the engine has cooled down properly). have a look at this link the guys sent me last time. Worth a pop for the cost and time.

thank you Bob

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Seeing as it is so cheap then i'd change the coolant temp sensor first too, however that code can also be the thermostat. Symptoms of thermostat failing are the engine taking ages to warm up and the temp falling below 90C when on the motorway or long downhill sections of fast a roads.

Last edited:

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
Seeing as it is so cheap then i'd change the coolant temp sensor first too, however that code can also be the thermostat. Symptoms of thermostat failing are the engine taking ages to warm up and the temp falling below 90C when on the motorway or long downhill sections of fast a roads.

Thanks Matty, I will try and give this a go over the next week and see how it goes

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
So I changed the coolant temp sensor at the weekend, reset the engine management and the light cam back on after a day

Whats the next options then?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thermostat mate. They are only about £15 and fairly easy to change. Most people will say get a load of extension bars and do it that way, personally i like to remove the alternator.

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
Thermostat mate. They are only about £15 and fairly easy to change. Most people will say get a load of extension bars and do it that way, personally i like to remove the alternator.

What are the symptoms of the thermostat gone?

Ive read a few posts and some have said the temperature fluctuates, mine warms to 90 and then seems to remain there, does this mean its ok?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
How long does it take to get to 90C?

The other syptom is that the temp will drop when you're going downhill, off the throttle, on a fast road....... however that doesn't always show up until ambient temps are lower in the winter.

Apart for the thermostat there isn't much else that code that code can be. It's usually thrown when the car takes to long to get to 90C. Most people say the CTS as a first case, but in my experience it's almost always the themostat, the CTS has it's own specific fault codes.

Last edited:

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
How long does it take to get to 90C?

The other syptom is that the temp will drop when you're going downhill, off the throttle, on a fast road....... however that doesn't always show up until ambient temps are lower in the winter.

Apart for the thermostat there isn't much else that code that code can be. It's usually thrown when the car takes to long to get to 90C. Most people say the CTS as a first case, but in my experience it's almost always the themostat, the CTS has it's own specific fault codes.

Appreciate the info, I will keep an eye on it and check the items above when I'm out and about

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
I had a bad thermostat, and my car didnt throw up and codes at all. My temperature was up and down all the time took ages to warm up when on the motorway. Its a bit of a PITA kind of job but easily do-able.

Where did you get the CTS? was it ebay knock off of a genuine part?

Heard that the ebay knock offs can be rubbish

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
I had a bad thermostat, and my car didnt throw up and codes at all. My temperature was up and down all the time took ages to warm up when on the motorway. Its a bit of a PITA kind of job but easily do-able.

Where did you get the CTS? was it ebay knock off of a genuine part?

Heard that the ebay knock offs can be rubbish

I got it from local car parts provider, I think it was the Lucas brand

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
might be worth getting a genuine vw part from dealers.

Could always test to see if the thermostat works, the way i did it was when the car was cold, i held the radiator hose coming from the thermostat hosing to see how quickly it got warm after it had been started, Because if it is stuck open then it would continuously allow water to flow around the engine and radiator. If it is operating correctly then the radiator hose should remain cool until the thermostat opens at operating temperature which is around 88 degrees.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The Lucas sensor will be fine, it's a good brand and far from cheap ebay crap. There's no point in putting a VW sensor on it IMO.

Everyone's first thought with the P1296 code is the CTS, however the CTS has it's own fault codes e.g....http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00522. The fact it's a generic code is because there is obviously no electrical conection to the thermostat, so there is no specific fault code.

I've had thermostats go a few times and they have always thrown that code.

Last edited:

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
Thanks for the info here, I've just got back from a holiday and on the drive to the airport I kept an eye on the temperature, it was up and down like a yoyo which was one of the symptoms mentioned above.

Im booking it in to have the work done, hopefully I can come back and say all is good :)

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
Just wanted to say a big thanks for all the info above and give an update.

I had the thermostat changed and everything now seems to be working properly, the engine management light has not come back on and the car is up to temperature and not fluctuating now. The garage also confirmed that the thermostat was stuck open.

ukrules

Sep 27, 2017
I have the same issue,

I had replaced waterpump, thermostat and temp coolant sensor. and the light is still coming up.

Dont know what to do.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.