Cooling issues

Gaz20VT

Aug 5, 2011
Yes, sorry - having issues posting the link to the vid. In any case you've said the flow is good to the header.
Your secondary water pump is working, so its unlikely that the fan controller is broken.

For me this still points to a blockage somewhere. When you flushed the system, did you manage to get water to pass through the block and the radiator with the garden hose?

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
To flush I used the top rad hose and yes it flows out the bottom is this the best place

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
Right should I get water flow from the little pipe all the time just started it for up to 70c and the little pipe isn't flowing

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
Ran it for 8 mins no flow from the little pipe unless I squeeze hoses should it flow soon as engines started

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
Right began to flow at 72 with squeeze of the hoses flowed for a bit then stopped

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
Right got up to 93 bottom hose cold too hot coolant is flowing to tank just started but don't think thermostat is opening but it's new and does work could this only be water pump

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
Right I'm still thinking fan module as if I remove sensor while running fans don't come on

Gaz20VT

Aug 5, 2011
Right should I get water flow from the little pipe all the time just started it for up to 70c and the little pipe isn't flowing

Ran it for 8 mins no flow from the little pipe unless I squeeze hoses should it flow soon as engines started

Right began to flow at 72 with squeeze of the hoses flowed for a bit then stopped

Yes, you should get flow right from the moment the engine starts. This is pointing to a water pump or circulation issue.

Are you due a cambelt change anytime soon? The water pump should be replaced as part of a cam belt change.

Right got up to 93 bottom hose cold too hot coolant is flowing to tank just started but don't think thermostat is opening but it's new and does work could this only be water pump

Heaters hot but not as hot as it should be

The bottom hose should get almost as warm as the top hose. The heater not getting warm is also a sign that water isn't circulating through the heater matrix.

Right I'm still thinking fan module as if I remove sensor while running fans don't come on

I'm not sure that's a valid test. Works on some K-series Rovers but not sure it's a test for these. Your after-run coolant pump works, as do your fans with the air-con. The factory manual suggests the wiring bridging test that you've already done, which made your fans work.

I'd suggest this points at a water pump, but of course it's difficult to diagnose over the internet!

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
its a real head ****
Today replaced top fuse box and fan control module still no joy all started with high speed fan only coming on for a few secs did resistor mod as when tested fast only worked now nothing unless tested or ac is on

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
Yes, you should get flow right from the moment the engine starts. This is pointing to a water pump or circulation issue.

Are you due a cambelt change anytime soon? The water pump should be replaced as part of a cam belt change.

The bottom hose should get almost as warm as the top hose. The heater not getting warm is also a sign that water isn't circulating through the heater matrix.

I'm not sure that's a valid test. Works on some K-series Rovers but not sure it's a test for these. Your after-run coolant pump works, as do your fans with the air-con. The factory manual suggests the wiring bridging test that you've already done, which made your fans work.

I'd suggest this points at a water pump, but of course it's difficult to diagnose over the internet!
I'm thinking water pump preahaps fans missing ect could the be checked via thermostat hole

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
Well I ve use a little head gasket kit off eBay liquid went yellow so I reckon it's exhaust gases in coolant

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
I stand corrected head gasket test was good it's strange that flow from the return pipe is some tines ok good and bad like just took pipe off and it was dripping out for a minute

Last edited:

Seatboy

Oct 7, 2017
Also when out heater on full it stops return hose flowing all together is this normal

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.