vario tdi se sort of restoration

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Hope this gives someone a smile or is theraputic in some sort of fashion. List of work done on my pre facelift 1999 cordoba vario tdi se apline white.

Electical:
ECU clean up and protective sheild put in place. Wiring to tailgate fixed. Fogs, rear wiper and luggage compartment light not working. Side indicators replaced. Door courtesy light switches replaced. Glove box light fixed. New head unit. New heater control panel. New o/s window regulator. Instrument binicle bulbs.

Trim interror/electrical:
Front and rear bumper respray (it wasn't me broke them, honest) and rust patches blown in. New undertray and some bumper fitments. Rear wiper arm. Windsreen cowling and seals, upper and lower. Speaker grills in luggage compartment. Retractable cover fettled to stay in place. New handbrake gaiter. Cobra daytona reclining bucket seats. 2 ltr 16v corboba leather steering wheel. Load area protector. Vents repaired, vanes out of place. New high level brake light. New wiper control switch.

Mechanical:
Full turbo back 2 1/4 inch stainless steel system with decat. Timing belts and pulleys. Auxhillary v belt. Airbox mended. New airfilter. Oil and filter. New coolant elbow and retaining clip and hose repair. New coolant. Fuel filter. Power steering fluid flush. Dot 5 brake fluid flush/full bleed. Aircon gas (needs done again). Second hand gearbox casing and reconditioned internals. Vr6 clutch. Vibratechnics road/race engine and gearbox mounts. Powerflex bushes allround. Spax vsx lower kit, springs and shortened dampers. New brake drums, shoes, slave cylinders, and bearings in the rear. New ball joints, tie rod ends, and brake dust shields in front. O/s cv joint boot and brake hose securing bracket. 2 ltr 16v carriers and calipers. I kept my slide pins as they were in good condition, both use the same part. National cross drilled 280mm discs with ebc greenstuff pads. New top mounts, washers, bearings for the front suspension and rubbers and washers in the rear. New nuts, bolts and gaskets everywhere.

When I got the car it had crap tyres on it. It now has Goodyear eagle f1 dgs3 on the rear and toyo proxy t1r on the front running on 15" 110bhp tdi ibiza sport alloys. It also had tinted rear windows and smoked rear light clusters.

I have recently fitted a boost pressure gauge, oil pressure gauge and exhaust gas temperature gauge. I would like to do further tuning but that's probably a whole new thread of its own.

And breathe

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The tail gate light problem is the little micro switch in the catch, just pop it off and it's clipped on. Give it a good dose of switch cleaner or something.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The tailgate switch tracks had corroded as well. The light panel that holds the fogs must have been fitted poorly from factory cos the tubing to the washer jet was fine but the tailgate was full of water. Took it off cleaned it up, refitted and haven't had any bother since. I took the switch apart, cleaned the tracks up and stretched the contacter, that spans the tracks, out a bit and that done the trick.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Ordered a new antenna as mine is perished in appearance and reception is very poor every time it rains. I know the rain can affect the radio signals coming through the ait but the bottom of the antenna looks porous and could be absorbing water which would have a bigger afffect on reception.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Done a power run the other day and got yhe exhaust gas temperatures to 700 deg celcius. I'm only allowed 750 before the turbo starts to melt. So that doesn't leave a lot of room for tuning. :(

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I'm fairly sure you could go way higher than that, pop over to the tdi club and see what they say.

Also advancing the timing will bring down egt's.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Tdi club forum recommends 750deg celcius. Unless this is an ultra safe value so that no one can sue them. You know what ameriacans are like. That's good to know about the timing. I'll maybe get a remap after all instead of the evry mod. The evry mod was what I had on the leon and it worked a treat. I never had a egt gauge on it. Dread to think what they were on the same run.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Yes. It's some engine tune. I couldn't quite get the jist of his home page but I gleaned enough to know that it's fast. :D

The water methanol injection is a good job bringing exhaust temps down 200 deg. I wondered about the WMI and it's affects. I read that for every deg celcius reduction at the intake it approximately reduces the exhaust gases by the same. This makes me think that the intake temp might be minus value.

I'd love a remap and the bells an whistles but my showers on fire, my dogs died and and and you get the picture. So an evry mod will have to do in the meantime.

I checked out darkside developements, alladins cave. I'm usually a big fan of bosios but those hi flowx are alot cheaper, more easily accessible and if they say what they do on the tin then they should be a good job.

A tuning company in ballymena seem to think they're a good job and they can tune the .240s nossles back to work with standard turbo until I got a BIG 1 put on. That's the plan anyway.

Should I put this thread in reader rides? Or keep it in the cordoba sectio like lildoss has his?

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Sorry about your dog bud, I hated having mine put down.

Anyway yeh,those nozzles are fairly new on the scene but if they turn out to be as good as they should then it could be a winner.

I only went with the bosios because my ecu was a piece of pants at the time and the nozzles were on special offer so got them a lot cheaper. I'm pleased with them so far though.

Just put a link in your sig to this or stick it in readers rides, whatever you like.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
new aerial

The reception was rubbish and every time it rained ... . ..... nothing. I think this is why. The lands in the circuit board in the base had lifted and the electronic components had all corroded also.

Carmaintenance002_zpse1c4f754.jpg

So finally got a chance to fit the nice shiney brand new one a got about two months ago.

Carmaintenance004_zpsa83732a7.jpg

And found this amusing. Expert, who me?

100_2302_zpsc21077de.jpg

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Work done yesterday/today.

Got my water pump/power sterring pump and crankshaft end V pulleys shoot blast and painted and refitted along with a new belt in the hope that it will stop wearing/stretching the belt. I found a section that gave the impression that the belt was sitting static for a period of time. Thank God the engine doesn't seem to have suffered any obivous signs of damage.

Put a new sender for the Tim gauge oil pressure gauge with no improvement. The mechanical one that was temporarialy fitted showed 18psi on the idle when warm compared to 5 with the electrical gauge.

Rewired my homemade tunning box, just have to test it tomorrow to see what the difference is.

Tried to straighten the fins on the side mount intercooler only to find that they are rotted and crumbling. I straightened/cleaned up a good bit of it but it may as well not be there. FMIC is the next item on the to do/christmas wish list.

Sorry there is no pics. It was a bit hectic.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Found some photos I'd taken a wee while ago which give a bit of an idea.

Checked the engine oil pressure at idle once the engine was warmed up with a mechanical gauge first before connecting up the electrical one.

carservice008_zpsa6bb7cfc.jpg

Put the new electrical sender here.

carservice004_zpseb7b425c.jpg

Side mount intercooler is looking very sorry for itself. Fins are corroded and crumbling.

carservice002_zps06d4666a.jpg

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Oh yes, she's rough alright. This wee jobby would do as a good replacement.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-IBIZA-CUPRA-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-FMIC-KIT-BLACK-/260938946689?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc12c5881

Judging from the look of the smic the intake temperatures are at a disadvantage already. So that said from reading previous threads on upgraded intercoolers and reduced intake temperatures I would guess that with a water spray system on to the fmic that for the same requested power level from the engine that intake and therfore exhaust gas temperatures would be reduced by about 40 degrees celcius at full throttle at about peak power rpm.

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Can you not get the EGT down through tuning? I can't remember the exact info but I think if you bring the timing back a tad or something you can take a little bit of the heat away from the turbo and onto the pistons. I don't which is worse mind you lol.

There's some mad tuning out there though without EGT problems, I suspect the info will be in the usual place, the tdi club.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
peskey power steering belt AGAIN

I will have to sort out my annoying niggles first before I get any tuning done. I saw something about advancing the timing on TDI club FAQ but haven't took a close look at it.

The oil pressure may have something to do with the pick up. And oil is leaking from the sump. I wonder why?:blink:

carservice012_zps13825bfc.jpg

Not quilty as far as I remember.

The power steering belt is still slipping even with the remedial work done to the pulleys and a brand new belt, tensioned just so. It only seems to be apparent that it is slipping when performing parallel parking/car parking manuevers with the engine at or very close to the idle speed. It doesn't seem to be slipping quite as bad if you bring the engine revs up off idle a bit. Which in theory sounds a bit strange as you think the belt would have even more energy to slip against the pulley. Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
You sure the oil's not coming for the oil cooler thing?

I hate V belts, thankfully they done away with them, always something about them. You can either have them with a squeak or over tighten them and kill the PS pump lol

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The oil could be coming from the oil cooler, it's hard to see up the 2" gap between the engine and the radiator assembly.

The power steering pump could be knackered. When you spin the pulley with the belt off it feels free enough. There is a bit of lithium based grease excreting from around the shaft opening in the pump housing. A new pump from TPS is about £300 or more. A haven't looked at reconditioned ones yet.

I tink it's looking long term like an ASV engine swap could be a good idea. It would solve power steering issues and turbo/power level issues. I'd be happy enough with an easy 160 bhp for a while.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Just get a PS pump off ebay, I got my last one for something like £45 delivered and it's like new, never had any bother from it.

Also not sure on the actual fitting but if the newer style bolts up the pulleys just pull off. So if the fitting was right you could maybe just swap over the pulleys.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise