Freetrack screen with a replacement head unit

JonnyO

Mar 25, 2016
I'm thinking of changing the head unit in my Freetrack to an android one. However, if I do, do I lose the use of the rear aux inputs for the rear screen?
Do I just lose the audio ones but the video input keeps working? If so, how can I rewire so I can still use the IR headphone facility from the screen?
I'm hoping I can use the head unit as a video player to the screen and still be able to switch the audio to headphones as well as speakers basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrDurst

Oct 4, 2013
Yes, the only link between the screen and head unit is aux input to play media through vehicle speakers. You could use the outputs from after market head unit to go to screen. Aux in lines on rear of center console also feed the IR transmitters on the screen.

JonnyO

Mar 25, 2016
Thanks MrDurst. That's great info. I don't suppose you know if anyone has isolated the aux inputs into the head unit and plumbed them into a new head unit so that the rear inputs would still work as well? Probably unnecessary as the head unit would be acting as the source most of the time but would be good for completeness sake.

MrDurst

Oct 4, 2013
You'd have to break in to all the wiring lines(I would suggest using plugs if possible) and putting a switching system in. Or if you just wanted to get rid of the plugs in the back, the back of the console pulls off as a plate. You could then replace this with a regular Altea XL one with just the 12v connection.

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
Google chromecast

Hi I'm new to this forum. Only had my freetrack a couple of months, I'm in the motions of fitting a permanent google chromecast inside the center console. I'd like to know how to take off the panel at the rear of the center console please. Is it just a case of pull hard and hope nothing snaps off?

Cheers

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
Much appreciated *MrDurst* I've now "test fitted" everything and configured the chromecast to connect to the mifi...all works. I'll post pictures and a diy guide soon. cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.