Cleaning Exhaust tips

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Hi all, wondering for those who have FRs and visible dual, Cupra twin (or those who have aero bumper twin exit) exhausts. How do you guys keep them clean / polished? Just a sponge and water with detergent every month? or we need to use special liquid we can get from auto shop (Halfords in UK in my case). My old car had 'hidden' exhausts, so out of sight, out of mind ;)

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi all, wondering for those who have FRs and visible dual, Cupra twin (or those who have aero bumper twin exit) exhausts. How do you guys keep them clean / polished? Just a sponge and water with detergent every month? or we need to use special liquid we can get from auto shop (Halfords in UK in my case). My old car had 'hidden' exhausts, so out of sight, out of mind ;)

I just use fine wire wool, metal polish and a microfibre. No detergent.

Last edited:

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
If you must......Solvol Autosol is the absolute daddy. My dad used to use it on the bumpers of his Triumph 2000 and I've had some ever since. Cheap, available most places, and gets off all the crud and carbon a treat. They'll come up like new. I've used it on mine only last week, but not taken any before/after shots, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Ps. I wouldn't use the wire wool. You'll find Autosol will remove everything without being too abrasive. It's like a paste, so there is some friction, but not enough to cause any damage at all.

cfdave

Dec 31, 2016
South Wales
I just read this thread. And ordered a tube of autosol. My exhaust tips are awful. I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Metal worx from Autobrite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I just read this thread. And ordered a tube of autosol. My exhaust tips are awful. I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice one! I offer a money back, satisfaction guarantee. It will even get the properly black stuff off inside the lip. Get ready to be amazed.

Sihey MK3 FR

Nov 1, 2016
Ps. I wouldn't use the wire wool. You'll find Autosol will remove everything without being too abrasive. It's like a paste, so there is some friction, but not enough to cause any damage at all.

I used a very fine wire wool on mine with autoglym metal polish to bring the tips closer to a mirror finish, I would agree there should be no need to for just general cleaning though.

IMG_5295.jpg

IMO the original tip finish is poor, certainly on my car anyway and the pic shows up the difference :)

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
That looks much better, I hate the way they come from the factory and plan on doing the same with mine come spring when I give the car it's first proper detail (decontaminate the paint work, polish and seal etc). Looking at the tips in your pics, it looks like they could be removable, which would make life easier, will look in to it!

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
If you must......Solvol Autosol is the absolute daddy. My dad used to use it on the bumpers of his Triumph 2000 and I've had some ever since. Cheap, available most places, and gets off all the crud and carbon a treat. They'll come up like new. I've used it on mine only last week, but not taken any before/after shots, sorry.

Agreed. Great stuff for polishing chrome.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
Another metal cleaner which gave good results on exhaust ends is 'silvo' which is polish impregnated wadding,it's similar to brasso but not as severe

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lewischadwick7

Jul 4, 2016
Barnsley
another one here for autosol! a bit of patience and a few MF cloths and it comes up mint! took me about 10/15 minutes to clear up 129k of soot and general crap

Reactions: IrnBru

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I used a very fine wire wool on mine with autoglym metal polish to bring the tips closer to a mirror finish, I would agree there should be no need to for just general cleaning though.

IMG_5295.jpg

IMO the original tip finish is poor, certainly on my car anyway and the pic shows up the difference :)

My new Ibiza FR (had 120 miles on clock when delivered) exhaust already looks like the left one...I know what I'll be attempting within the next few weeks! :)... I'm guessing all of your just clean the tips and not all the pipe all the way to the box part of the exhaust?

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
My new Ibiza FR (had 120 miles on clock when delivered) exhaust already looks like the left one...I know what I'll be attempting within the next few weeks! :)... I'm guessing all of your just clean the tips and not all the pipe all the way to the box part of the exhaust?

My mk 5 Ibiza 1.2 Tsi Fr 2014 plate exhaust tips were bad. Used autosol .spent a weekend cleaning them.
Looked like they had never been cleaned. Typical lady driver / owner.

Andy

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmmm, I thought mine were ok... till I saw what they look like new. I may give the Autosol a try also... although not going to help me if it snows this weekend.

Exhaust_zpsbj9mwo1n.png

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Ok, so went for Autosol... couldn't find the instructions and it had just started to rain. So used loads! Not sure if its supposed to be used sparingly or liberally. But used about 1/4 of a tube. LOL! Anyways:

Yq6DmS1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ryzzey

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I told you it was 'the daddy'! They look incredible now, eh. Sounds like you've used liberally rather than sparingly, though! Blimey, I've had the same tube for about 10 years and still loads left. Cheap enough :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members