Auto folding mirror mod

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
explorer, for your information, dm222 is LHD, ie mainland Europe - Portugal.

dm222, out of interest why do you want to be able to only use this function only now and again, I'd think that most people buying this "system" would be buying it to make the mirror folding automatic? I know that any time I want to fold the mirrors on my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza, I have taken the ignition key out of the switch - and then think - "oh bother!", having the HW1 version fitted I would not need to do anything. Remember, as already described, if you have HW1 fitted, and the "mirror fold" switch in the "fold" position, nothing will happen when you put the key in the ignition - I think.

Edit:- as far as I know, across the VW Group range of cars, the "mirror" switch on the driver's door only has a maximum of 4 positions, "top" position is either "OFF" if no heaters in mirrors, or "heaters on" if mirrors have heaters, "Right mirror control", "Left mirror control" and, if mirrors have a folding functionality, "bottom" position which is "fold mirror" - so requesting this extra functionality should end up being difficult to achieve without adding another small switch to that switch panel?

There are some models with 5 position mirror switch but in ibiza without hw modification there are max 4 positions and with 4 positions without additional switch or jumper it is possible disable controller only in fold position. It is usefull if during slow drive is needed to clode mirrors. My controller is enabled in position L, 0 ,R.

BUT
it is possible deactivate controller by another way. If you open door with ignition on then turn ignition off with door opened mirrors keep unfolded.

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
@RUM4MO just curiosity, sometimes I like to keep it open because there is enough space so no reason to fold and I save the mecanism.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hi, so non uk version HW1 will be ready to ship about 28.6. Payment possible via PAYPAL on BANK TRANSEFR.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@RUM4MO just curiosity, sometimes I like to keep it open because there is enough space so no reason to fold and I save the mecanism.

dm222, I agree with your logic, in my case the mirrors get left "out" because I keep forgetting about them being able to fold - so this mod would avoid that.

Just maybe an irrelevant fact about leaving mirrors powered of unpowered in the "out" position all the time:- my daughter used to have a 6K Ibiza, an early 2002 car so last of the 6K just before the launch of the 6L, she bought it secondhand in 2005/2006 and the driver's side mirror could not fold, it was seized solid, I checked it over and found that the aluminium frame was so heavily corroded that it was initially impossible to fold it, eventually I managed to chip away at the lumps of corroded aluminium and get it to move! This made me check my own May 2000 VW Passat and my wife's September 2002 VW Polo folding (not powered) mirrors as they had never been folded, both these cars had no corrosion showing and their mirrors folded as intended - so, is/was SEAT using some very cheap and nasty aluminium castings in their mirrors? Sad to say, my daughter eventually paid the price for parking on a busy street and leaving the mirrors sticking out - the driver's one got broken off, so that sorted out her problem with corrosion, she did always fold the new one that got fitted! Maybe this is the reason why she always tended to fold the power mirrors in on her current Ibiza (that I am still using/looking after for her)!

I do tend to check the ability for the mirrors to fold on both my 2011 S4 and my wife's 2015 Polo to avoid them ending up seizing solid, so far so good!

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
I find the fact that the mirrors are folded confirms to me that I have locked the car far better than a beep or flashing indicators do.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hi,

so HW1 non UK version is in stock. If you are interrested check my first post.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hi, pcb for HW1R - uk version is tested and ready for manufacturing. It will be available about 1 - 2 weeks.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
ill take 1 please! how much money and where do i send it! (uk version)

I'm sure that explorer will get back in touch once these are ready for sale, with a link to ebay and a price, like he did for the LHD version, I'm waiting as well, but only for my daughter's car, maybe an unwanted birthday present for her!

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
I'm sure that explorer will get back in touch once these are ready for sale, with a link to ebay and a price, like he did for the LHD version, I'm waiting as well, but only for my daughter's car, maybe an unwanted birthday present for her!

wish my old man did this for me,

here son heres a garret GTX2860R, LOL

but yea, ill just wait for it. :rofl:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh come on, that Garret is in a different league to this mod price wise (I hope). Anyway, after selling this daughter back her old car when she returned to work in UK, that nasty Ibiza turned out to have leak in its air con!!! After replacing a leaking pressure sensor, roughly £50, I've now discovered a leaking body gasket on the compressor, so that will be another £350ish by the time I've bought and fitted that and a new drier and got it regassed!

What else could I do, I'm treating that as a "warranty repair" I would be a bit annoyed if I bought a car and found that its air con was goosed, wish that sort warm patch of weather had not appeared last week for a few days, if this had failed maybe after 6 months I'd be less inclined to pay for it.

She has just come back from working in KL so used to +30C all year round, or more with very high humidity, so I was a bit surprised when she reported that the AC was goosed - "it needs re-gassing" - she was right!

Edit:- maybe panic over, my leaking compressor body looks like it was a false (leak) alarm caused by some trapped Gunk or still liquid brake cleaner, both of which will set off normal pumped leak detector! I've thrown some more R134a into it and it seems to be working okay, but needs "a spot" more R134a added in - soon, if the warm weather returns.

Last edited:

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hi, there is some delay from pcb manufacturer but pcb uk version is in on the way. HW1R version will be available for shipping during weekend 19 - 20.8.2017 or on monday 21.8.2017

Price 37GBP include postage cost.

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
Might be interested in the one that works with fob. I like that, I'm assuming it will work with mk5 cupra face lift? What's the wait on that one also will you be doing installation as you mentioned it will be needing
a 12v wire? :D

Last edited:

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Might be interested in the one that works with fob. I like that, I'm assuming it will work with mk5 cupra face lift? What's the wait on that one also will you be doing installation as you mentioned it will be needing
a 12v wire? :D

Hi, hw2 version needs 12v wire from battery so it isnt PLUG and PLAY device like HW1. But at the moment only hw1 and hw1R (for UK models) is available because at the moment there is small interrest about hw2 and hw3 version.

BTW: HW1R - UK version is available now

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well that is my order placed, who was first in? I seemed to be involved with cutting grass yesterday afternoon, suffered a mower failure, but still had time for a curry a few drinks and a Fringe Show!

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
So how long before hw2 would be available? Also what's the difference

To the hw3? Just has a battery so you don't need the 12v wire supply?

Cheers Rick

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.